legal transporting of a firearm

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
I am a retired police officer planning to move to the D.R. in July. Does anyone know how I can legally transport my firearms to the D.R. and then how I can legally carry them?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
midnitemed said:
I am a retired police officer planning to move to the D.R. in July. Does anyone know how I can legally transport my firearms to the D.R. and then how I can legally carry them?
You will have to get Permanent Residency first to apply for a gun permit.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
I may be putting the cart before the horse. I gather I need to get permanent residency, but how do i go about shipping the firearms overseas?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
What calibers??

midnitemed said:
I may be putting the cart before the horse. I gather I need to get permanent residency, but how do i go about shipping the firearms overseas?
Also, I know it's none of my business, but why would you need to carry a firearm in the DR?? It will only get you in trouble.
Where did you retire from?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
midnitemed said:
Forget it, to much hassle "Not to say impossible" Get one here afer you arrive and get residency. Expect to pay up to 3 times the value here. I sold my S&W for 500.00 12 years ago (With all the accessories). Here the cost US$2000.00. Don't expect to be able to carry it. Next to impossible "very difficult" for someone to get a concealed weapon permit.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Is that true Eddy? I know a few people here with carry permits, legit ones we are talking, but I didnt ask them what the had to go through to get them.

anyway, everyone is right here, very hard to ship arms here, you have to do it through an arms dealer/store stateside and you cannnot ship (1)rifles or (2) 45 calibre pistols. 9mm is the rule here. Why? It harks back to the Civil War of 1965. Fabio Guzman, the DR1 lawyer has a thread here somewhere about all the legal stuff. Anyway, they dont want people having weapons more powerful than those possessed by the authorities. While it costs more to get one (legally) down here, the shipping of one is such a hassle you might consider paying a little more.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
I was told by my own (dominican) lawyer:
"do no bother by a gun carrying permit (porte, in spanish), do as all do carry concealed with a posession permit" (tenencia in spanish).
It is not a serious problem to be found carrying a gun with a posession permit (you may pay 200 pesos and "hasta la vista"), unless you kill somebody, and they catch you...
Of course most affluent dominicans carry guns, I think that it is not only for "machismo", but for safety.

By the way I was shot once for a thief, but dominicans are very bad shots.

Ben

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
Ricardo,
For a couple of reasons. 1) I have a business down there that generates cash, 2) I was once (recently) almost a victim of a robbery (story in another thread), and 3) I am not one of those people who carry and lets everyone see or know about it. I've carried a firearm for 20 years and never needed it, but would like to use it when i have no other option.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
midnitemed said:
Ricardo,
For a couple of reasons. 1) I have a business down there that generates cash, 2) I was once (recently) almost a victim of a robbery (story in another thread), and 3) I am not one of those people who carry and lets everyone see or know about it. I've carried a firearm for 20 years and never needed it, but would like to use it when i have no other option.
If you have a business, you should have no problem getting a carrying permit. The new law is to stop Dominicans from carrying guns not foreigners. They are the ones who get drunk and/or jealous and do all the shooting and killing.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
macocael said:
Ben the life you lead! what do you mean exactly by you were shot once for a thief--details! sounds like a good story.

Perhaps now it is a good story, but at the monent it was just scary.

My wife and me were watching TV on the eve of midnight in our finca when the dog started yelling wildly.
At first the thieves hide into the underbrush hile stoning the house, may be to make me open a door to see better.
When the heavy stoning started we called police, and friends.
Then, when peeking out from our bedroom window I saw the thieves against the dark sky, may be 20 meters away, and then one of them shot me with a shotgun. The marks still are on the window frame, but it missed the target, neither the window glasses nor me were damaged.
After that they tried to take out the window's bars unsuccessfully, and then, taking some working tools that I had left outside the house (a mistake) they tried to break one of the house's doors for a good while.
And they yelled "we are going to kill you" (co?o, entramos y los matamos a los dos).
Finally they left, a bit tired I guess, since our door is not easily breakable, shortly the police arrived (more than an hour after our calls) and that was all.
Besides coming, police did nothing, but asking money for gas.

Of course, we were not armed then, since Dominican law gives Dominicans a full year to shot foreigners at ease (you know, only after permanent residence, the second year living here, you can get a gun license).

Now I'm have a gun and more a coming.

The free lunch is over f***ng dominicans...

Ben

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Aguayo said:
Perhaps now it is a good story, but at the monent it was just scary.

My wife and me were watching TV on the eve of midnight in our finca when the dog started yelling wildly.
At first the thieves hide into the underbrush hile stoning the house, may be to make me open a door to see better.
When the heavy stoning started we called police, and friends.
Then, when peeking out from our bedroom window I saw the thieves against the dark sky, may be 20 meters away, and then one of them shot me with a shotgun. The marks still are on the window frame, but it missed the target, neither the window glasses nor me were damaged.
After that they tried to take out the window's bars unsuccessfully, and then, taking some working tools that I had left outside the house (a mistake) they tried to break one of the house's doors for a good while.
And they yelled "we are going to kill you" (co?o, entramos y los matamos a los dos).
Finally they left, a bit tired I guess, since our door is not easily breakable, shortly the police arrived (more than an hour after our calls) and that was all.
Besides coming, police did nothing, but asking money for gas.

Of course, we were not armed then, since Dominican law gives Dominicans a full year to shot foreigners at ease (you know, only after permanent residence, the second year living here, you can get a gun license).

Now I'm have a gun and more a coming.

The free lunch is over f***ng dominicans...

Ben

As a "f***ng dominicans.." I can assure you that those were no thieves. The person(s) who attacked you at midnight in your finca did not have robbery in their minds. They were trying to scare you. Why? what have you done to inspire such hostility?...

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Ben, When you said "shot for a thief"I thought someone shot at you mistaking you for a thief. This is a rather harrowing tale.

Mirador, I can guess why you might think this was not an actual robbery attempt but an attack with a different purpose in mind. I suppose that is possible. But I do know two separate people with similar tales and those were indeed robbery attempts. sometimes it is hard to tell. Suelta! Out with your reasoning!

Do you remember the story that was reported, I guess last year, about the old woman whose house was invaded, and after the thieves left, she got her old shotgun down, sallied into the street and shot them all!

But Ben, that is a bit harrowing. Being on an isolated finca, if that is indeed your situation, can lead to problems like this. My own neighbor strongly warned me against buying property where I would be too isolated. Hasnt dissuaded me though.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
midnitemed: marry or otherwise domicile with a dominican who gets a possession permit for protection of the residence. You then have the right to use it in the house for protection, and while transporting it in her/his company.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
macocael said:
... Suelta! Out with your reasoning!....

Macocael, I've seen it time and time again, carpetbaggers or hobos masquerading as expats, move into a rural community by buying an isolated finca, and start pushing the locals around, inspiring the wrath of many. And then they cry wolf and run to the authorities. Before deciding on arming himself, I suggest Ben check his attitude and relationship with his neighbors, they could be his best allies.

-

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
Macocael, I've seen it time and time again, carpetbaggers or hobos masquerading as expats, move into a rural community by buying an isolated finca, and start pushing the locals around, inspiring the wrath of many. And then they cry wolf and run to the authorities. Before deciding on arming himself, I suggest Ben check his attitude and relationship with his neighbors, they could be his best allies.

-
As a gringo who feels that he has successfullly assimilated into Dominican living, I feel embarassed by Ben's post and attitude.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
shipping weapons

If my wife has a gun permit is it possible for me to send my guns to her. If so does anyone know the best way. Thanks

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
HOWMAR said:
As a gringo who feels that he has successfullly assimilated into Dominican living, I feel embarassed by Ben's post and attitude.

Why not be ashamed for the dominican's attitude.

Right, I insulted them in my post, but they tried to kill me.

And I know that my experience is not an isolated incidence.

For your information, te German authorities have told the Dominican government that if dominicans continue killing germans at the actual rate they will take care of disuading Germans from coming here?

In the last months they Dominican nespapers reported several frenchs and germans killed.

I do not pretend that they kill only foreigners or that in other countries there is no crimen, but the crime rate in the Dominican Republic is fairly high (more than 26 per 100000 habitants) and foreigners are prime target because our naivet? and money.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Mirador said:
As a "f***ng dominicans.." I can assure you that those were no thieves. The person(s) who attacked you at midnight in your finca did not have robbery in their minds. They were trying to scare you. Why? what have you done to inspire such hostility?...

It is very simple I do not share my money with them.

They expect to extract tribute from me but get none.

Since they think (wrongly) that I'm rich, in its viewpoint it is my duty to help them.

They stole freely from my finca, if I complain, I'm surely a wicked person.

I think that the political system here have trained them to expect to get money for nothing.