Mi Republica Dominicana

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
I'll like to start this thread off by saying that I thank god for being a Dominican. Its great for me to be able to say that im Dominican. Just the phrase " Soy Dominicano" fills me with pride and joy, its incredible! So when February 27th comes it'll be an honor to say " Soy Dominicano" i give thanks to Juan Pablo Duarte for contributing in the creation of such a great nation of culture and people and its a shame that some dominicans denounce their heritage as being a dominican it hurts me when i see that, but oh well they don't know what they're missing. So for all of my Dominicans worldwide be proud of who you are.....be proud that your dominican.....be proud of our land.....la Quisqueya.... and help us, the people, bring about a stable government so we won't have to face the hardships of migrating to foreign soil. so a big shout out to our military , our politicians, our flag, our nation, our culture, and most importantly our PEOPLE without us this world wouldn't be complete :lick: !! TODO POR LA PATRIA !!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Joshua R said:
I'll like to start this thread off by saying that I thank god for being a Dominican. Its great for me to be able to say that im Dominican. Just the phrase " Soy Dominicano" fills me with pride and joy, its incredible! So when February 27th comes it'll be an honor to say " Soy Dominicano" i give thanks to Juan Pablo Duarte for contributing in the creation of such a great nation of culture and people and its a shame that some dominicans denounce their heritage as being a dominican it hurts me when i see that, but oh well they don't know what they're missing. So for all of my Dominicans worldwide be proud of who you are.....be proud that your dominican.....be proud of our land.....la Quisqueya.... and help us, the people, bring about a stable government so we won't have to face the hardships of migrating to foreign soil. so a big shout out to our military , our politicians, our flag, our nation, our culture, and most importantly our PEOPLE without us this world wouldn't be complete :lick: !! TODO POR LA PATRIA !!
Nice post Joshua,

I wish you a happy 27th of Feb
Dominicanos somos hasta la tambora.

Arriva Quisqueya!!!

And also Felicidades to all the foreigns that also carry Quisqueya in their hearts and defend it, eager to learn much more than many non patriotic dominicans.

I would put Sunnie_79 against these guys any days. She can certainly teach those guys how to be a little more patriotic. Or should I call AZB on them?

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Joshua, and all my Dominican friends in Nueva Yol, un fuerte abrazo de tu gringo aplatanao.

And may I just extend this sentiment to bring in all the people who reside on this beautiful island of Quisqueya, which was also called Aiti by the Tainos who resided here so many centuries ago. May Haitians and Dominicans live together in peace and prosperity and recognize their fraternal bonds as offspring of the Caribbean. While we recognize the struggle against Haitian domination this month, we must remember too the role that the Haitians played in helping Santo Domingo throw off the Spanish yoke.

We sometimes forget it, but this is a nation of many immigrants -- Japanese, Lebanese, Chinese, Cocolos, Haitians, Europeans of various stripes, a few North Americans like myself, and many many others. It is one of the things that make us strong.

Just as the Dominicanos Ausentes have helped to make New York a stronger and more interesting place. People often fail to recognize that West Harlem was an economic wasteland until the Dominicans came in and started establishing stores and various businesses. Or that some of our best city representatives are Dominican. Or that Dominicans are slowly beginning to break into the higher echelons of business and the professions. We must continue to stress the importance of education, so that young people can make the best of themselves. Everytime I walk the halls of CCNY I am so pleased to see all the Dominican and Haitian students studying there, and working together too on projects. They are an example for all of us.

And let me add one other thing: may the govt continue and even augment its support for its national athletes. There is so much untapped talent here, and it is only for lack of support; but with the right support and training, I firmly believe that this little island could take away more than its share of Olympic medals.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
27 de Febrero, que maravilla, la independencia, even though i was born in New York when as a little girl i attended primary school in the campo por aya near San Jose de Las matas, everyday after the end of classes we would bring down the flag and fold it ceremoniously, i thought it was such an honor to be chosen for the flag folding along a boy who's job was to ease it down. I think is great how patriotic everyone is and how respectful towards the country's founding father they are. My best childhood memories are of the time spent down at the island.
Feliz Diaz de la Independencia

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Joshua R said:
without us this world wouldn't be complete

Although I'm not a big fan of overt patriotism and military parades, I really liked this line, "without us this world wouldn't be complete", a beautiful, positive statement!
It's also nice to see Independence Day is celebrated around the world now; Sunday there was a big Fiesta de la Independencia Dominicana in Amsterdam with lots of Dominicans attending.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
It has been 16 years this February

that I came to the U.S. as a young buck. many who came here especially while young, dont remember or thikn about that day they left and the feeling they had knowing they were going to hop on a plane for the first time and going to this dream land everyone talked about,

every february i think about that day and that feeling and what it meant for me. why?
because I left my country on february and I remember being a little kid barely 10 years old standing in front of my house in SAMANA thiking for ways that i could postpone this trip. it was a trip i wanted, because NYC was like a dream to me, a fairytale that I couldn't wait to go. my friends that knew I was leaving were in awe and used to come by at least once a week that whole month to say good bye or to find out if i had left.
(actually writing about my little friends my age, 10 years old coming by my house just to say good bye, is pretty amazing..shows you how meaningful friendships can be, even for ten year olds)
but I did not want to leave to this dreamland just yet, I had something more important to attend to...I wanted to stay until the end of february to be in the big carnaval on the last Sunday of the month. that was more important to me than going to NYC, even when I was ten. I really brainstormed hard about it, i couldn't care less about NYC then, I wanted to hear the music de carnaval, eat cotton candy, run away from the mascaro cajuelo ( BTW: I was terrified of them mascaros when i was about 8...lol), I wanted to see roba la gallina, I wanted to see the "indians" w/ their bow and arrows, I wanted to see the "Africans" w/ their spears, I wanted to dance in the street w/ the girls, i wanted to go to el malecon.

I couldn't get my wish granted, I left a week before the end of february; I was going to New YORK; where everyone wanted to be; but I was sad.

Ever since, I remember that day very february; it has been 16 years two weeks ago that I came to the U.S. and though i've gone back a few times, its never been on a february. I think, i will see to that next year.

:)

Last edited: