car navigation system

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
hi just out of couriosity does anyone know if those navigation systems packaged into alot of new cars work in dr. because if it works with satellites then it probably wont because i tried satellite radio and i was told that they dont work in dr.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sirius Satellite Radio works fine on the North Coast.
I could not, however, tell you if GPS works.

Sep 19, 2005
you may have to program a different satelite or group of satelites for the DR as opposed to what you have used in america.

as someone said the fly in the oinment with the navigation systems is a detailed computer program with up to date mapping that would need to be downloaded into the auto. I dont know if the cars come with the whole us when they are purchased....but when you buy aftermarket units for boats and handhelds.. you have to buy the software specific to the area you want....

I doubt the DR has software available for these units. seeing as most satelite and topographic websites dont list info for the DR.

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Hi Bob:

I just found full C-Map coverage of Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Jamaica.
This includes all buoys, waterways , and marinas. If you feed your GPS plotter you are all set. It's map number 011 if you need it. West Marine sells it as do Nautical Charts . com. Just in case you need to depart by Yola next trip !

Sep 19, 2005
what Yola?....some type of BOAT?

I probably have a chart at home....I bought 100"s of charts from a guy who used to sail all over the carribean and east coast of the US....I paid $50 for the whole lot...some are 4foot wide!. Those GPS nautical charts are the cats meow. We use them when we go hunting off the coast of new england. When you hunt a new area , and are leaving the ramp at 5 am , pitch black.. those those mapping units are a nice prop saver. They are amazingly accurate for the areas we used them...I wonder about the DR.....

now that you brought it up...that may be a way to sneak my GF out of the country....if i dont want to wait a year for immigration papers

sail her all the way back to america!!!!

now go find one for the roads in the DR.

bob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can't see this happening anytime soon JD. iruta hasn't updated their maps in a few years.

Garr still has the best street level maps of Santo Domingo, Santiago etc and they do try and update them.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been trying to work with iruta since 2002 when they first started.
It's not easy, they are slow, haven't updated in a few years and take months to respond to questions.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
One thing that is needed to create such a system is the actual plotting of the streets and areas of interest by GPS location. When this is done the owner of a map system can then overlay (in simple terms) his map to the GPS coordinates to create a navigation system. PJT doubts a GPS plotting of Santo Domingo or even that of the country has been imagined at this time.

Regards,
PJT