need opinions

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
Hi everyone. Thanks for all your help. Love this forum. Well I need some of you to give me your 2 cents. I am a single 35 year old Canadian guy and I?m planning to move to the DR in Aug of this year for business and hopefully some pleasure. I will need to set up a residence. Because of my work I need high speed Internet. I have been to the north coast and thought about going there but I?m not really a beach all the time guy. I need city life Shops, restaurants. Busy environment and the people I?m consulting for want me in Santo Domingo. Here is the problem. Never been there. My Spanish is not good enough for the north coast so I will be in trouble. I thought I would hire a personnel assistant. Someone who speak Spanish and English. Who can help me set up and show me the ropes until I?m comfortable? I?m talking about a real job and responsibilities. I?m just wondering if any of you know of someone or an agency I could contact. What would I have to pay someone to be my guide and gopher for 3 or 4 hours a day? What do you think? Is this a stupid idea? thanks for the help.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
It is a great idea.

But a more likely option would be to ask one of the hotties who descend upon you whether she speaks English, and if her English is good enough, just keep it in the family ) the job.

You laugh now.

-- Sameee Contest Maker Deluux (in sanky forum)

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
good idea!!! but never mix business with pleasure. learned the hard way nevr ever again lol

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Good idea. Probably best person would also provide you with transportation. Try a contract rate with a taxi driver. Most speak fairly good English and know the ropes.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Sounds like a good idea. It should be easy to find someone to fit the bill. As for settling in Santo Domingo, any help you need just ask. Residency can be acquired through a good lawyer, first you apply for a temporary residency, then I thnk 6 months later you make it permanent. YOu probably wont have time to do it yourself, or the ability as you dont speak Spanish, so find a good lawyer. Consult the board here. second, an apartment is easy- - they are plentiful and range from mid hundreds on up to 1500 us or more, depending on what you require. Some good nabes to look in: Gazcue, Naco, Piantini, Ciudad Universitaria, Bella Vista, Cacicazgos. I will keep an eye out for a good asst, but there are agencies, some of which are identified as well on this board.

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess for an apt. I would like something very very very safe. new if possible a nice view of the ocean ect ect ect. if anyone has any idea please let me know thanks again.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello Jim, Im Dominican and I live in Santo Domingo, If there are something I can do for you, I will be glad to help you. Here there are some forums that could give you an idea for prices and nice places to rent.

If you are looking for a busy city well Santo Domingo is the best choise. my mail is ricardovasquez@yahoo.com

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
there are several "aparta-hotels" here in the city, that might be good options while you get to know the city and decide where you would like to move. right here on the DR1 website there are ads for rentals. you can also look up Aparta hotels- on the yellow pages. http://www.superpagesdr.com/

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Lots of options

Seems like we see similar threads all the time? As mac says, there are plentiful options on housing depending on what you require, what you are looking for, and what you want to spend. Give us a list of what you feel you must have (amenities) and a range for the rent and I'm sure you will get more advice than you can handle. As for the assistant thing- sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of a driver- if you will have a car here- that is bilingual. You could probably go with about 100 pesos an hour on the high side for an asst/ gopher/ guide. What are you going to be doing here as far as the business part goes?

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
thanks for the advice everyone. I guess what I need for an app. Is an ocean view. newer. very nice. furnished would be a plus. very secure, price any ware from 2000 to 4000 usd is fine. internet and constant power an must!!! thanks

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Wasn't Bulldog trying to unload an apartment or condo recently? And he is in a hurry, he says............might be worth checking into. BritishBulldog, I think.

Good luck & sorry for hijacking your thread earlier.

Start learning Spanish now, I hear that Rosetta Stone offers a good program on line or on CD/DVD. It is costly, but you sound as if you have the means.

Enjoy your visit and the planning phase as well, Sam

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Easy- but be careful

Jim,
What you are looking for and the range you have in price will make it very easy. Look in the Listin Diario in the Esparilla area and you will find what you need- not right on the water- but full views from most of the buildings. This is where you will find the newest and nicer places. This is the area many of the government officials live and thus we have more electricity- though it is not constant. You might be able to go with the Malecon Center condos in that price range- and they are right on the water. You will require a generator if you want continuous electricity, most places in that area will have them. Internet you can get anywhere. Most of these areas also have 24 hour guards along with security gates.