Call centres

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
I have seen that call centres have been mentioned recently on the forums. One mentioned Santa Domingo, Puerto Plata. Heard there will be one in Las Canas. What are the pre-requisites for working in one in the DR? Also, what is the average start pay?

Any info appreciated-thanks, Cat

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I would like to know too, just only know first one is speak english and basic knowloge of computers management, I have a work but would like to have part-time work some days I work form 3-11 and other days from 8 to 5 so I would like to work in my free hrs.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Depending on the project, call centers employ English, Spanish and English/Spanish bilingual reps. Most call centers (at least those operating according to Labor Department Code) require employees to have a cedula. In the call centers in the Puerto Plata and Santiago areas reps can expect to average 70-80 pesos/hr for a 44 hr/ week. That is a combination of salary and commission. The pay is somewhat higher in the Santo Domingo area, as well as the cost of living. Add to this the 13 paid Dominican holidays, 14 days vacation and 1 month Christmas bonus.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Santo Domingo

Most of teh call centers in the Capital pay in the 90-120 an hour range and most are located in the various free zones. Some offer additional commission. Speaking English or being bilingual are the main things they look for and being trainable. Most will require some computer knowledge or ability.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
mommacat said:
I have seen that call centres have been mentioned recently on the forums. One mentioned Santa Domingo, Puerto Plata. Heard there will be one in Las Canas. What are the pre-requisites for working in one in the DR? Also, what is the average start pay?

Any info appreciated-thanks, Cat

just speak fluent english ,i don't know if they ask for a work permiss but i think that you can get it,if they give you the job.

gillie

Dec 20, 2005
I am arriving in dom rep at the end of April with the intention of staying for three months.I would need to work,due to finances,and would also be interested if anyone could give me more information on the call centres.Iwill be based in Cabarete and know it quite well,as i have just returned in the last three weeks.I was offered a job in the catering industry which i have always worked,either as a manager or chef,but could do with a change!!Can anyone help?....please!.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
gillie said:
I am arriving in dom rep at the end of April with the intention of staying for three months.I would need to work,due to finances,and would also be interested if anyone could give me more information on the call centres.Iwill be based in Cabarete and know it quite well,as i have just returned in the last three weeks.I was offered a job in the catering industry which i have always worked,either as a manager or chef,but could do with a change!!Can anyone help?....please!.
I doubt if anyone would be interested in hiring you for such a short period of time. They would not want to make the investment in training. In the event you aren't truthful and they hire you, you will be disappointed at the back end when you aren't around for your last pay ( usually 2 weeks after the payperiod ends.)

gillie

Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for that info Howmar,does anyone hire on a temporary basis,do you know? I am just keeping my options open at the moment,in case the offer does not materialise as so often happens.

dollface

Mar 8, 2006
Hola! I?m a 19 year old girl from sweden, and i?m coming to DR in september.. Are they always hiring at the call centers? I will stay there at least 6 months, and i?m going to be located around puerto plata.. I speak english and a little bit of french and spanish.. I just wonder if it?s gonna be easy to find a job there, and if it?s depending on ages?! Rebecca

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
dollface said:
Hola! I?m a 19 year old girl from sweden, and i?m coming to DR in september.. Are they always hiring at the call centers? I will stay there at least 6 months, and i?m going to be located around puerto plata.. I speak english and a little bit of french and spanish.. I just wonder if it?s gonna be easy to find a job there, and if it?s depending on ages?! Rebecca
It depends. Speaking a little French and Spanish won't help. For call center work you need to be conversationally fluent in the language in which you will work. My suggestion is to practice your English conversation skills.
As there is a fairly high turnover rate in call center staff, there are usually positions available. PM me about a month before you get here and I can refer you to call centers in the area which would be hiring reps. with your skills.

dollface

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for the answer! I have read english for 11 years now, so my conversation skills are very good. I?ve worked at a call center here in sweden before, but as I?m a student, it was only for a few months. I also have good computer skills!

Rebecca

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Staying a year

I am moving to the DR in the fall, and plan on staying at least a year. Can you please send me information on the call centers as well (or copy me on it)? I am an American who is in the communications industry (graduated with a degree in Journalism, I am quite fluent in English...
I really appreciate the help. thanks.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ambre said:
I am moving to the DR in the fall, and plan on staying at least a year. Can you please send me information on the call centers as well (or copy me on it)? I am an American who is in the communications industry (graduated with a degree in Journalism, I am quite fluent in English...
I really appreciate the help. thanks.
The DR is a big country. If you specify where you plan on settling we can give you some leads. Important to live in the part of the country where you will enjoy living, not where you hear work may be available. Most call center work is located in the larger cities.

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Heard there is a call centre opening/operating in Las Canas, any truth to this? Looking for something in Sousa/Cabarete area.

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Call Centres

Hi

Was wondering if anyone had any further info regarding call centres in Puerto Plata.

Myself and a friend are movning to DR in November this year, hopefully all being well, the move will be permanent.

If anybody has any info on the work involved and how to get such a job I would really appreciate it if you could email me lou_85@msn.com.

Also, if anyone knows of apartments to rent in Puerto Plata.

Many Thanks
Louise

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I will be opening a Mortgage Call Center In Santiago.
We are under cosntruction and expect to be fully oeprationa my mid April
i will be paying my reps between 12 to 15k in Dominican peson plus commisions. We will train 20 full time meployees. if interested please send your resuem to albin.ortiz@ortamals.com

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
chola1978 said:
I will be opening a Mortgage Call Center In Santiago.
We are under cosntruction and expect to be fully oeprationa my mid April
i will be paying my reps between 12 to 15k in Dominican peson plus commisions. We will train 20 full time meployees. if interested please send your resuem to albin.ortiz@ortamals.com
Does their English skills have to exceed your own?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Does their English skills have to exceed your own?

I would suggest you rewrite your comment. It should read, ?Do their English skills have to exceed your own?? I don?t usually comment like this but I know that you will appreciate it since you seem to be so concerned about correct grammar and mechanics.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
expatsooner said:
I would suggest you rewrite your comment. It should read, ?Do their English skills have to exceed your own?? I don?t usually comment like this but I know that you will appreciate it since you seem to be so concerned about correct grammar and mechanics.
Sorry, I meant "Does their English skill have to exceed your own?"