Observation from the Frontier. US Troops

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Sorry I missed the inital opening to this now closed thread for I believe I could have provided insight for all from a truly " local " prospective being here Cabral, 10km from Barahona.

After reading 11 pages, mostly off the inital subject, I agree with HB for the closure and do not want to reopen it. I make few post but here is how we see the subject here in our backyard and what my Dominican associates think.

1: No riot, no protest. Just some of us wanting to see what was up. We all had plenty of opportunity, the port is right in the middle of downtown and two boat loads of military equipment parading down the street is hard to miss. Even it it did arrive at night. Had another gathering of some size down at the military base with everyone crowding about to see through the few peep holes through the fence. Guess someone saw a photo and said " protest". Nada.

2: Did the arrival of US troops surprise us here in Barahona? No, it was on the streets here as being possible well before it was ever announced in SD. Not much happens on the Frontier that does not become common knowledge in time. Hard to keep a secret with something like this, especially here.

3: Were we pleased with the inital annoucement of the mission ? Yes, with reservations. Needless, to say we can use whatever assistence is offered out here on the Frontier and four new clinics, in the areas announced, with the numbers projected to be seen was seen in a positive light.

4: Have we had any problems with the troops being stationed here ? No, in fact we look at them as large group of tourist in an area of few tourist. They are given free time it seems to mingle with the " locals ", shop the markets and spend their dollars. Have heard of no frictions as of yet

We have a saying we work with out here, Truth is Reality, so here is Reality.

A: NO CLINICS are being built. They brought no such equipment.

B: NO Children or people of any size or shape are being medically seen. They have no medical staff or equipment.

What is the mission ?

At first thought, the general opinion was Haiti. As noted in the first part of the now closed thread the elections were going on and we are close to Haiti. And it is now thought that the 3 Blackhawk's and certain other equipment on the ground could have been allocated for that purpose.

What is the mission ? Ah, time reveals all to us with little to do but talk and see.

Lots, and Lots of HIGH TECH communications equipment and high tech personel it seems going into the mountains. Setting up electron systems to look out over the Caribbean and maybe Haiti, for our boys here, but mostly to the WEST.

To end: What do we think now. Eyes in the sky. For drugs, the border, and across the pond to W's friend Chavez.

Are the troops a concern with the locals? Hey, we have moved on with life and they will go once their toys are in the mountains. The parade will be to the ships taking them back to Puerto Rico.

Are we disappointed that there are no new clinics ? Yes, but not upset. We hear a lot of " what might happen" on the Frontier.

Why, just the other day we heard the government department of tourism tell us about two new hotels for Barahona. Yea, and we have the 108 room Barcelo Bahoruco still empty and closed down the road. $$ wash time again.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I have sent the following message to Senator Ted Kennedy, of the US Senate Armed Services Committee.

" I am aware that there is a US military presence in the Dom.Rep., southeast part of the island in Barahona area, supposedly to build clinics and provide medical services. However, there are allegations the agenda (?) of the troops is other than what is in the press releases. First hand observation from people in the area indicate at this time, no clinics are being built, nobody is being medically seen. You can reference website forums at: WWW.dr1.com [Observations from the frontier]. There is public distrust of the US mission here.

Truth is way better than speculation. Your response is welcome as to the true mission of our troops. "

Regards,
PJT

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Kfrancis,
Yes this was a very informative post and I thank you for the proverbial "from the horses mouth" reply.

I would ask you to please keep us, me, informed on the situation in your area as there are many of us that are truly interested in what is going on in your area.

As this operation is being conducted under the guise of "New Horizons", which in reality has been very successful over the years in helping other countries, I would like to know if the US military does in fact fulfill their stated objective to the people and country. If they do not in fact build the clinics and give the medical service they promised then I want to know so that I can voice my complaint to my congressman the media and the US military as this is my right and obligation as a US citizen and retired military member. Once again thank you for your report.

Rick

PS
I will ask those people reading this thread to remember that Operation New Horizons is slated to end in May which still gives ample time for the US government to fulfill their stated mission.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We saw no military activity over the weekend....

In fact we were not even stopped at the Dominican military checkpoints along the way to Pedernales and Lago Enriquillo.

We did see trucks being stopped, however a small 'donation' of a few bananas or platanos from the rear of the vehicle was all that was needed to ensure 'passage' through the checkpoint.

We did hear a lot about the number of 'drug' drops into the sea where the local fisherman make almost nightly ventures off the coast to 'fish' after first 'flashing a light signal' out to sea from the beaches which soon elicits a 'flyby' of aircraft with no navigational lights.

Interesting......also evident that it would be very simple in the isolation of this area to 'transport' any cargo without suspicion and even easier to 'disappear' un-noticed in the wilderness.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MommC said:
In fact we were not even stopped at the Dominican military checkpoints along the way to Pedernales and Lago Enriquillo. ...QUOTE]

The US military presence is not in that area, or even close to Barahona city. It is in the strategic massif which juts out to sea and reaches heights of over 1300 meters, straddling both Barahona and Azua provinces, known locally as Sierra de Martin Garc?a - Loma del Curro. The area was "assigned" secretely to the US during the last administration of Joaqu?n Balaguer. In 1991, the massif was completely depopulated, and thousands of campesinos were given land elsewhere and relocated (for example, Mart?n Garc?a, in Barahona, and Finca Seis, in Azua). Considering the anomalies in apparent civilian infrastructure being built on the Eastern (Azua) side of the massif, it was my understanding that the large military base would be built closer to Azua...

-

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Send MORE!!!!

We love the US Military!

Ted Kennedy???? I bet you get No Response!
Unless you included a case of "Brugal"!
THAT might get his attetion!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was in Barahona on Thursday and saw a small convoy of military trucks and humvees drive down the Malecon. Definitely not Dominican army.
I was with a couple of local community workers who said that yes, these are US troops and there is no humanitarian work being carried out, as kfrancis said.
The Haiti theory didn't convince me either - as if anything is stopping them from doing whatever they'd be doing in Haitian territory.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Criss Colon said:
We love the US Military!

Ted Kennedy???? I bet you get No Response!
Unless you included a case of "Brugal"!
THAT might get his attetion!!

"Ted Kennedy" LMAO, the lights are on, but nobody's home!!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Oh my, real honest to goodness Spy Stations being built! Where are the authors among us? Take notice! A Spy Story is Born, it is just waiting for you to write it down...

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Update from the Frontier.

After my morning post on this subject I ventured into Barahona for an updated observation.

Will give Rick some credit here, word on the street today was about the Local US Jefe saying, " the clinics will be built " nothing about the doctors or the 500 people a day to be seen. As Rick stated 3 months to go.

Also, heard some new talk that might be related to Mirador's comments on the high ground across the Bay. Seems that a convoy heading towards Azua never made it there and the convoy that returned seem a different make up than those that left. Vicente Noble sighting by SD - Barahona Express Bus driver.

Over all, all is quite on the Frontier and no one here is really concerned about the troops here, they are keeping a low profile.

kFancisco de Cabral

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps I wasn't clear.....

Mirador said:
MommC said:
In fact we were not even stopped at the Dominican military checkpoints along the way to Pedernales and Lago Enriquillo. ...QUOTE]

-

I DID say DOMINICAN military check points!

Also managed to catch a helicopter in one of the photos I took of the mountains near Lago Enriquillo. It's way in the distance and since I'm not 'up' on these things I'll let you decide what kind of helicopter it is when I post it to my blog in a few days!

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MommC said:
Mirador said:
Also managed to catch a helicopter in one of the photos I took of the mountains near Lago Enriquillo. It's way in the distance and since I'm not 'up' on these things I'll let you decide what kind of helicopter it is when I post it to my blog in a few days!

According to one of my informants, she has counted a total of eight unmarked black helicopters, with no visible external weapons.

-

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Millions March... El Nacional Escoopazo

Geez, guys, look who's rousing all the rabble- are these folks unfamiliar? For those lefty dinosaurs, coverage in El Nacional is the equivalent of red carpet time on Oscars Night.

Border surveillance, drug interdiction, yola intervention, which is the most objectionable? What did the waving signs say, "We don't need no stinkin' clinics"?

Isn't it likely that both LF and the Congress each approved of this visit, fully aware of the possible repercussions from disgruntled DR1 observers?

MY confidential informant tells me that, while the helicopters are indeed free of external visible weapons, each of them can be armed with enough water balloons to seriously moisten the billions of commie protesters below.

Of course, I might be wrong... .

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
drbill said:
What did the waving signs say, "We don't need no stinkin' clinics"? .

Actually, the signs read, "We don't want no stinkin' US military boots trampling our soil", and "we can build our own clinics..."

Dr Bill, you seem to forget that the DR is a sovereign country, and has suffered in the past several episodes of violent US intervention, memories which are still vivid in the collective social consciousness.
You are also aware that there are civilian organizations through which relief can be channeled, like USAID, CARE, and other both government and ngo's.
It is a fact that the identified mountain range has been secretely set aside for use by the US government/military, and that the purpose of the current US military visit to Barahona is to install an Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) facility for both military and drug interdiction usage...

-

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mirador said:
Actually, the signs read, "We don't want no stinkin' US military boots trampling our soil", and "we can build our own clinics..."

Dr Bill, you seem to forget that the DR is a sovereign country, and has suffered in the past several episodes of violent US intervention, memories which are still vivid in the collective social consciousness.
You are also aware that there are civilian organizations through which relief can be channeled, like USAID, CARE, and other both government and ngo's.
It is a fact that the identified mountain range has been secretely set aside for use by the US government/military, and that the purpose of the current US military visit to Barahona is to install an Airborne Stand-Off Radar (ASTOR) facility for both military and drug interdiction usage...

-

Do you have a problem with that? If the DR GOVERNMENT OKed it, what's the problem? So here you have a guy that lives there and reports that there haven't been any demonstrations and you have a leftist newpaper saying that 1000s are demonstrating, you would think that the bigger newpapers would be covering it.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Mirador, we agree on most everything; I'm just missing the link between this current "presence" and the likelihood of another imminent violent intervention.

I imagine that the level of charity/aid/trade/investment channeled to the DR can only increase with economic and military stability, but the "Just send the check" days are over. The U.S. benefits from reduced dope-running and illegal immigration, they have the resources to share, what the heck?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
El Nacional is not a particularly lefty paper, although it does have a couple of columnists who could be described as such, as do most of the others. What they do have is a correspondent in Barahona. Who says the other media hasn't covered it, though?

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Right you are- I was only referring to its wide readership. Let's see what LD and Hoy have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.