Give me a fix on Chinatown SD

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Is Chinatown located off of Duarte? Can you tell me how I would get there from Caribe Tours Bus Station? Thanks.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Chinatown is east under the elevado to Duarte Street, and then south to one block below the intersection of Duarte Street and Avenida Mexico. The chinese shops and restaruants are to the left and right on this street located between Ave Mexico above, adn Avenida Mella below.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Major construction is going on there. But you can still visit the places. They are building a true Chinatown, Chinatown style.

Interestingly, I actually went to the real Chinatown in November in Shanghai. With all the development in China, they are soon going to have only pockets of the old China, so people are being taken to Chinatown even in China.

Anyway, the Santo Domingo Chinatown should become quite an attraction. We are all looking forward to its completion later this year.

Just hoping they will have places for "foot and body massage" such as were available in China. The two hour massage (with stone therapy included) is one of the highlights of our trip this year (as independent travelers), and we hope these salons, where you can get this two-hour massage for US$12, will open some places in the Santo Domingo Chinatown. If someone knows of any right now, please let me know.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I just only know that this is the first step of the project, I hope they finished soon, thay said that the transformation of the area will be great.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Is the Chinatown in Santo Domingo run by mainland Chinese or Taiwanese? Just curious.

I went to Santo Domingo several months ago and I saw the Taiwanese President. It was cool. :bunny:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Both communities are present in the DR, but I don't know which of them 'runs' Chinatown. We have a poster here, Formosano2000, who as his name suggests is from Taiwan. He knows much more about the DR Chinese community than I do. He only posts occasionally though so try sending him a PM.
Politically and commercially, the DR has stronger links with Taiwan, but mainland China is trying to change that.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Just got my supper from the dragon house,the areas a mess,i dont think a few signs and lights are going to do much here ;remember this is the Dominican republic,not england ,usa ,canada,if it is ,quote, i will eat my hat, quote;any way can you buy saki in any off these chino supermacados;albeit japanese wine !!!!!!!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I believe I know exactly where you are talking but I don't recall anything that resembled a chinatown there. Thank you for the info.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
SD China Town promoters at juggerheads with DR Central Government

SD China Town promoters accuse SEOCP (DR Government Public Works Department) authorities of foot-dragging and misallocating funds budgeted for the project...

CLAVEDIGITAL ON LINE

-

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
SD China Town promoters at logggerheads with DR Central Government

SD China Town promoters accuse SEOCP (DR Government Public Works Department) authorities of foot-dragging and misallocating funds budgeted for the project...

CLAVEDIGITAL ON LINE

-

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Snuffy said:
I believe I know exactly where you are talking but I don't recall anything that resembled a chinatown there. Thank you for the info.

That is right, you have to look sharp to see signs of architectural details or other iconography normally associated with the "chinatown" that exists in our minds. I didnt know that they were going to significantly restructure the area, as Dolores states, I thought they were just going to construct a Chinatown style gate at the entrance on Mexico and Duarte. However you will see things even now that relate to a chinatown landscape -- and there are more stores now than inthe past offering a much wider range of Chinese, Japanese and even Thai products. I am thrilled, of course, because now I can cook Chinese food, Thai food, and get snoggled on saki. You can buy Chinese and Japanese dishware (the latter is usually better quality and more expensive), cookware, clothing, paper lamps, wooden lamps, medicinal products (Tiger Rub, which is more concentrated than the Dominican version, and very good to apply to mosquito bites) -- just a host of things. I am thrilled that the Chinese community is being recognised and that more and more of their cultural products will be available.

I have a question that perhaps I will post in a new forum -- anyone with a good acupuncture recommendation?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Chirimoya said:
Both communities are present in the DR, but I don't know which of them 'runs' Chinatown. We have a poster here, Formosano2000, who as his name suggests is from Taiwan. He knows much more about the DR Chinese community than I do. He only posts occasionally though so try sending him a PM.
Politically and commercially, the DR has stronger links with Taiwan, but mainland China is trying to change that.

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it! :classic:

As you have mentioned, both Taiwan and China are moving actively in Central America and the Caribbean in order to gain the upper hand in diplomacy.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Snuffy, if you are interested in buying some of these products, in my humble opinion the best of these stores is found on Benito Gonzalez, about halfway down the block heading East, on the south side, just after a restaurant.. I think in fact it is the same store where Chiri took her pix. They have the best selection and the store is large. the store across the street on the north side has many of the same things, but it is more cramped and doesnt seem to offer as wide a selection. There are furniture stores too, on the Duarte, and video stores, and chinese medicine, too.

If anyone knows of a good chinese doctor, let me know. Always good to have a skilled acupuncturist on hand. There is a place on Lea de Castro called Neijing Garden, or some such thing, which I think practices japanese style acupuncture, but I havent enquired yet.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
In an interview on tv with the president of the commitee that is in charge or the project said that the plan include the transformation of the faces of the buldings in the area