Calling All Divers, Snorklers & DR Dive Shops/Services...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The Green Team is in the process of preparing a series of blogs on reef health and protection in the DR. We'll be discussing things like Reef Check, the reef ball project in Bayahibe, the reef work now being done in Sosua...

But we'd also like to like as much input from regular DR1ers as possible. For example, if you've dived or snorkeled around the DR's reefs and have good underwater pics that you can share, please send them to us at greenteam@dr1.com Identify where and when they were taken, and let us know how you want us to credit you for the picture.

We'd like where possible to highlight what dive shops and services, boating and fishing services, and hotel and other snorkeling operations in the DR are already doing to help the reefs. How do you educate your clients about how to treat the reefs? Do you supervise your clients' activities in and around the reef? What precautions do you take? Do you train divers how to maintain neutral bouyency? Do you participate in programs like Reef Check? Are you a member of another reef protection organization? Have you considered getting eco-certified by Green Globe 21 or some other outfit?

We'd like people who have dived or snorkeled in and around the DR's reefs to let us know what they've seen. How did they look? Where did you see obvious signs of damage? Any signs of bleaching? Which tour and dive services seemed most conscientious about keeping their clients from doing things harmful to the reefs? Which reefs offer the best views?

Last but not least, anyone who knows of significant souvenir/curio operations featuring coral broken off from the reefs, we'd like to hear from you too.

If you don't want to post here, then send your comments/observations/tips/info to us directly at greenteam@dr1.com

Thanks!

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks for the input, Hannele, but I really wasn't looking for a listing of dive centers (I already have a list, although not sure how complete it is). Was more interested in experiences regarding them, or in people working at them telling us what they are doing. I had the impression that we had many snorklers, divers and even people working in, owning or operating dive centers on DR1. I'm not asking anybody to necessarily air dirty laundry. I'm interested in the positive stories. Also interested to hear what people have actually, heard, seen, experienced, not just what the ads, websites, brochures say.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The Green Team just posted the first part of its 3-part "primer" on reefs in the DR and the problems they face. Much thanks to Dr. Ruben Torres, Reef Check's man in the DR, Mark of Santo Domingo Dive Services, and DR1's Chris & Debham for their help in putting this together.

It's still not too late to contribute to the DR reef series in the blog. We still want your input on the following in particular:

We'd like where possible to highlight what dive shops and services, boating and fishing services, and hotel and other snorkeling operations in the DR are already doing to help the reefs. How do you educate your clients about how to treat the reefs? Do you supervise your clients' activities in and around the reef? What precautions do you take? Do you train divers how to maintain neutral bouyency? Do you participate in programs like Reef Check? Are you a member of another reef protection organization? Have you considered getting eco-certified by Green Globe 21 or some other outfit?

We'd like people who have dived or snorkeled in and around the DR's reefs to let us know... Which tour and dive services seemed most conscientious about keeping their clients from doing things harmful to the reefs? Which reefs offer the best views?

Last but not least, anyone who knows of significant souvenir/curio operations featuring coral broken off from the reefs, we'd like to hear from you too.

You can either share your observations here for all to see, or if you prefer to make them privately, PM me or e-mail them to greenteam@dr1.com

Thanks!