Anyone Ever Tried To Bring Tv When Flying??

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
I know most people say it's better to buy stuff in dr.. but how about if
you want to bring your own tv in a box.

i know other option is to send tv in box through those dominican companies in ny and pay anywhere from US$100-200 depending on size of tv.

but has anyone brought a tv in a box when flying and go through dr customs?? would like to read some of your stories and see how much
tip/bribe or taxes you paid.

THE GAME

Sumali55

Jan 15, 2005
Hi Don't do it . My wife is dominican born and US citizen, I'm american born and a resident dominican and I bought a 19 inch TV for 120 US and it cost me 100US "tax" it was a bad day. Other times made out good with other stuff. Its not worth the agravation...

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Sumali55 said:
Hi Don't do it . My wife is dominican born and US citizen, I'm american born and a resident dominican and I bought a 19 inch TV for 120 US and it cost me 100US "tax" it was a bad day. Other times made out good with other stuff. Its not worth the agravation...

well, sending it through ship would arrive in 3-4 wks and cost around
$100.. so you guys took it and got there same day you flew and paid $100
so it even out and you had tv same day... only the aggravation part was
the extra unwanted part of experience.

only advantage i see buying in dr is that most or every tv comes with auto-voltage and that helps preserve tv last longer due to electric outtages.

other than that i would rather send it through ship and pay us$100-200.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They usually show an in flight movie, why do you need a TV on the plane?

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
Tamborista what are you on!!!!!!! please tell me your kidddddinnggg!!!!!! im concerned for your well being!!!!!!!!!

G

gary short

Tamborista said:
They usually show an in flight movie, why do you need a TV on the plane?
Plus where do you plug it in? Do you need an extension cord?

G

gary short

Tamborista said:
Jet Blue has a TV behind every seat.
Whew.....thanks for the info. I had my 36" screen ready to go as I don't have anything smaller. Also 300' of 3 cond/10 awg extension cord.

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
tv

about 4 years ago i snuck a 14 inch lcd flat screen in my carry on in a duffle bag.Never got caught.Bought in ny for 300.00

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
last yr i brought a receiver in a black bag and i made decision not to put bag through the customs x-ray machine... they never checked that bag... i was lucky. The speakers i wrapped in gift paper so in case they asked i would say they are gifts (the receiver was also wrapped in gift paper in case they also asked/bother). But i understand that a tv (20") is bulkier.. i just wanted to hear other people's stories in here. I'll probably ship it and pay us$100.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
HOWMAR said:
Does that include shipping and the Aduana?

yes.

last yr i asked a shipping co. in ny and they told me that i only pay that amt and they take it to your house in dr. Don't have to worry about aduana or any other tax... but you have to say it's a used tv... they charge you more if you say it's new.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Last November I purchased a "Symphonic" LCD 15in flat screen TV from Wallmart, $187.00 Canadian It weighs 5lbs and the widest part is 4in thick. It gives excellent sound and picture. Brought it down in checked baggage. No problem. Canadian Bob.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Brian said:
about 4 years ago i snuck a 14 inch lcd flat screen in my carry on in a duffle bag.Never got caught.Bought in ny for 300.00

I just snuck in a 14 inch LCD last week. I paid $179 for mine. I had the LCD, a Mac Mini and a table for my george foreman grill all in one giant dominican sized suitcase. Next trip I may try a few other gadgets. . . .microwave, deep fryer. . . mayeb a computer or two. . . .

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There's no way to predict if you will be charged custom duties or not. But if you take the items out of their original box or container and repack them inside a regular travelling bag, without labels, you'll increase your chance of not having to pay duties. Recently, Ibrought in a Samsung 19" SyncMaster 192mp from Miami, just carrying it by the base/handle with a piece of cardboard taped on the screen for protection. The custom's officer told me I had to pay duties on it, so I told him it was my laptop's screen. He mentioned it was a TV and too large for a monitor. I told him my job was to do very complex graphics and I needed the larger screen. After calling a supervisor for consultation, he finally gave up.

-

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Brought a 32" LCD TV in early Jan, Paid $700 US at Santiago customs. Still was a good deal for me compared to prices in Santiago.
Jlw