non stop vs multi city flights

Sep 19, 2005
now before I got into flying dwn to the DR, I would have guessed that any flight that they stop over at another city before your final destination would be a benefit to the airline, and an inconvienence to the traveler.

As such i would have thought they would charge the flyer less for the ticket, in exchange for the trouble of having to stop and drop off and pick up additional passengers...thus keeping the plane as full as possible.

but it SEEMS from all the searching I have done and all the prices I have checked, and the flights I have actually booked and flown.. that there is a non stop flight offered each time that is the cheapest option...all the non stop flights were MORE money?

is that what everyone else has found to be true?

and does that make sense ???

In reality who WANTS to change planes or sit in a plane while they wait for people to get off and others to get on. and make the trip twice as long as it could be...then pay MORE MONEY for that benefit

bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
when i flew to RD in 2003 on the return i made a couple of connections and that was cheaper than non-stop. But then i started to notice the opposite,,, that non-stop was cheaper. Airlines i guess now figures you only have to use 1 plane in non-stop and use less fuel, that's why they charge less.
Connecting flights you are using more of their fuel.

Sep 19, 2005
I just checked a flight over easter weekend...if i took 2 non stops for the RT... the price was $434

if i add a 1 stop flight in for the return, so I can leave 3 hours later in the day.. the SAME day....a flight that lands in miami and the goes on to JFK.... for a one stop flight.. then the fare goes up to $673.

hmmmmmm

the over 8 hour trip and the extra $250 does little to temp me

bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
i know it's crazy for most people but i fly w/Jetblue. Why? well, since i only go for short periods of time each time, i want to use most of the time i'm away in dr. For example, if i take flight leaving jfk at 11am on friday,,, get to STI at 3;30pm.. by the time i get to where i need to go, it's 5pm.. meaning most of the day is pretty much gone.. AND... i had to use 1-day off from work. If i fly w/Jetblue, they leave at 9;45pm, get to STI at 2;20am,, i know it's crazy hr and you have to wake up people over there, etc etc but you're saving 1 vacation day from your job which you can save for another trip or extend your current trip. You get to your destination at around 4am,, sleep couple of hrs and wake up and start your vacation.

on the way to STI flying w/Jetblue is doable and not much of a problem for me. On the way home to JFK that's the killer. You have to aboard the plane around 3am, have only 2 hrs of sleep, land in jfk around 6am... and then go to work. I know it's not a good feeling but hey you don't do this every wk so why not sacrifice. I have done this many times so i'm sort of use to it. If i fly american i would only fly the 6am or the 5;35pm flight. I don't like flights where you waste the whole day due to traveling mid-day.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Bob,
Don't forget the added fees and taxes for additional stops. You have the "Airport facility fee" charged by each airport you use which ranges from $2-$18 for each airport. The "Federal segment fee" which is $3 for each segment (takeoff and landing). and the "9/11 enplanement fee" of $2.50 for each segment (up to $10 max per round trip.). Also, fuel surcharges are per segment.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
easter wknd will be this yr april 14-16
on american, apr 14-16 $394 non-stop

cheapest dates for eastern wk is apr 11-16 on american $374 non-stop

these fares include all taxes ($116.40)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
THE GAME said:
easter wknd will be this yr april 14-16
on american, apr 14-16 $394 non-stop

cheapest dates for eastern wk is apr 11-16 on american $374 non-stop

these fares include all taxes ($116.40)

On the same date AA MIA-STI....$355 a 1000 miles closer.:rolleyes:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
THE GAME said:
i know it's crazy for most people but i fly w/Jetblue. Why? well, since i only go for short periods of time each time, i want to use most of the time i'm away in dr. For example, if i take flight leaving jfk at 11am on friday,,, get to STI at 3;30pm.. by the time i get to where i need to go, it's 5pm.. meaning most of the day is pretty much gone.. AND... i had to use 1-day off from work. If i fly w/Jetblue, they leave at 9;45pm, get to STI at 2;20am,, i know it's crazy hr and you have to wake up people over there, etc etc but you're saving 1 vacation day from your job which you can save for another trip or extend your current trip. You get to your destination at around 4am,, sleep couple of hrs and wake up and start your vacation.

on the way to STI flying w/Jetblue is doable and not much of a problem for me. On the way home to JFK that's the killer. You have to aboard the plane around 3am, have only 2 hrs of sleep, land in jfk around 6am... and then go to work. I know it's not a good feeling but hey you don't do this every wk so why not sacrifice. I have done this many times so i'm sort of use to it. If i fly american i would only fly the 6am or the 5;35pm flight. I don't like flights where you waste the whole day due to traveling mid-day.

That's exactly my rational...and why I like it. For me I fly out of Detroit, so I leave work about 5:00 PM fly out to La Guardia, take a shuttle to JFK and I still make it on time for the Jetblue flight. It doesn't hurt that I have a brother who picks me up or drops me off at any time I want. The only thing I do different from you is that I do not go to sleep after I get there...my bro and I normally go partying right after...and on the way back party until you have to go to the airport. I admit next day is a killer after going straight to work...I try to sleep on the planes. I'll probably do this again soon as I'm due for a quick DR fix.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
suarezn said:
That's exactly my rational...and why I like it. For me I fly out of Detroit, so I leave work about 5:00 PM fly out to La Guardia, take a shuttle to JFK and I still make it on time for the Jetblue flight. It doesn't hurt that I have a brother who picks me up or drops me off at any time I want. The only thing I do different from you is that I do not go to sleep after I get there...my bro and I normally go partying right after...and on the way back party until you have to go to the airport. I admit next day is a killer after going straight to work...I try to sleep on the planes. I'll probably do this again soon as I'm due for a quick DR fix.

good to hear you also do that... i don't stay in santiago after i arrive, that's
why i don't party like you.. i wish i could though.. maybe some day.
On the return i have party afew times on way back to airport but most of the times i don't.

most dominicans when they travel they travel for minimun 2-3 wks and as long as 6 months,, so they don't care if they take the 10am flight, or the 8am or the 3pm flight.. they take it.... but for me (and you) who like to enjoy every minute of our vacation then we try to take flights that gives us the most amt of time in dr.

THE GAME

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
laurapasinifan said:
now before I got into flying dwn to the DR, I would have guessed that any flight that they stop over at another city before your final destination would be a benefit to the airline, and an inconvienence to the traveler.

As such i would have thought they would charge the flyer less for the ticket, in exchange for the trouble of having to stop and drop off and pick up additional passengers...thus keeping the plane as full as possible.

but it SEEMS from all the searching I have done and all the prices I have checked, and the flights I have actually booked and flown.. that there is a non stop flight offered each time that is the cheapest option...all the non stop flights were MORE money?

is that what everyone else has found to be true?

and does that make sense ???

In reality who WANTS to change planes or sit in a plane while they wait for people to get off and others to get on. and make the trip twice as long as it could be...then pay MORE MONEY for that benefit

bob[/QUOTE=]

You're so true, but I had the opposite situation just a couple of weeks ago, I had to come to DR from NY with very short notice so you know that when you buy a ticket close to departing date is a lot more expensive.
One way NY/DR non stop USD$833
NY(la guardia)/Ft.Lauderdale/DR USD$175 --the same day than the nonstop--
waiting time from one plane to another 1hr.
Lissa