need advice: solo f in Rio San Juan...?

DRmagic

Mar 2, 2006
www.simple-sites.ca
Hi all,

I'm new here. Just got back from a 1 week all inclusive DR vacation and since i've been home (wintry canada!) all i can think about is going back. I was staying just outside Rio San Juan, and am thinking of going back to RSJ to live and work for a month or so on my own (I do web work, so my job is portable - yay for that).

I have a bunch of questions about that. I'd love it if anyone who has spent some time there can help me with answers to any of these questions:

• can i get consistent high speed internet access (with little or no downtime)?
  • how much can i expect to pay for a furnished apartment for one month? (anyone know of any websites with listings?)
  • will i be/feel safe there on my own? i know this is fairly subjective, but any input is appreciated.
  • I have considered getting my own accoms, or trying to let a room with a family so i have a bit of a safety net - any advice on that?
  • what is the crime rate like there? do i need to be concerned that my laptop might get stolen? (don't want to sound like an a**hole with that comment, but recognize the dynamics of seeming the "rich" girl in a country where the people don't have that much money - don't want to make myself a target...)

thanks a bunch!

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Hello dear.

First, what you are feeling is a high that most of us suffer from - a highly contagious disease spread through breathing, eating, and of course - sexual contact: "RD Addiction." And the withdrawl sucks. (To borrow a little old verb from the young hotties).

Second, some wise folks might advise you to wait until it wears off a bit (the high) before driving, operating heavy equipment, moving ,and/or getting married.

Third, other wise folks might steer you to the archived posts here. I do not know if we've discussed your particular location recently, but if so - you will find it there.

Last, some of us, wise and otherwise, may be reluctant to reply, as - and I know this sounds hard to believe - many single females eager to live in the RD after a mere week's vacation tend to suffer from a second and graver affliction. For more info and a few Rxs, you may check the sanky forum, under Venus/Mars.

Welcome and No offense intended, Sam

DRmagic

Mar 2, 2006
www.simple-sites.ca
No offence taken, Sam ;) Got a couple chuckles out of your post.

Definitely feeling the DR high. I can see what you mean about women wanting to live in the DR after a week's vacation with all the male attention, but, while its not a bad 'perk' (although obviously not very selective or authentic, particularly on the resorts!), its not what i'm after. What i really want is the beach, the sun, and to be out of the cold! The adventure of somewhere new is also pretty attractive.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Dont know specifically about San Juan, and you might want to look into staying in places like Las Terrenas where there is a little more nightlife, and more to do in general on the peninsula, which is a great region. But as to your questions the brief answers are

1. yes, you can have broadband either thru Verizon or through the TV cable co's. I know nothing about the latter, Verizon is expensive, but if you get their VIP plan, the monthly bill will be about 2000 to 3000 pesos, between 35 and 85 bucks, with the peso at 35 to a dollar. Remember though that many places you might rent would not necessarily have a land line installed up there, so you may have to go for the TV cable route. The Verizon service is pretty stable, but it does conk out from time to time. I need DSL for my work so I depend on it, and so far I havent been screwed

2. Website listings will be higher in price than a place that you find on your own here. I cannot say what prices might be like in Rio SJ, but definitely cheaper than the capital, which can range from 300 to 1500 US, or more if you like living high off the hog.

3 and 5. YOu will be safe. Crime has become a bigger problem here, but up in RSJ or Las Terrenas, the most you have to fear are burglaries, purse snatching, that sort of crime. YOu do have to take precautions with your belongings and be sure to keep things under lock and key. YOu will notice that the houses all have bars on the windows and doors. There is a good reason for this. Thievery is a national sport. But personal safety -- unless you have a habit of visiting bad nabes -- is not a real problem, particularly up there.

4. Your safety net is the community you live in. If you make friends and act like the DOminicans do -- ie, interact socially, visit people, have visitors over to your place, get to know everyone and get known by everyone -- this social network will also be your safety net. If you seclude yourself behind a wall or live like some people do in gated communities, well you wont have these connections.

You need to speak Spanish. At least start learning. Life outside the walls of a AI resort is nothing like life in a dominican nabe. IMO, the latter is preferable, but there be will lots of little culture shocks. Plus remember, this is a developing nation, nothing works here as you would expect it to. Sometimes nothing works! The lights give out all the time too -- and actually that will be your main problem so far as maintaining you r internet connection. If the lights give out so does your dsl connection. So you need to live somewhere that has an "inverter" -- a set of batteries that store juice and kick in when the main electric source taps out.