Luggage at airport (pounds)

Luperonsailor

May 1, 2005
I am going to be flying out next week. Does anyone have the latest on bags? It has been a year since I have flown. My neighbor tells me that I can have two bags of only 50 pounds each and a carry on limited not only by size but by weight of 30 pounds. Any thing over 50 pounds up to 70 pounds will be $25 US per bag. I have a bag that I can't get under 74 pounds. So what is the newest scoop and is it just away to raise tickit prices around industry guide lines I am using Ameican Airlines out of Santiago. Any info will be helpful. Has any one flown this month?......Billy

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
everything that your friend told you is true!!! If you have just one bag with 74pounds why don't you split it in two smaller bags, you're allowed to have 2 --50pounds bags.
You can have one carry on and another small bag like a purse, laptop, or similar with you on the plane.
nydr

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Oh no

For American Airlines, the official rule is that no bag is accepted 70+pounds. If it is 70+ then it must be sent with air cargo and they have their own seperate rates. They say this is because of the safety and health of their workers, i.e. not to throw out a back and have liability claims.

You might be lucky and have an agent at the ticket counter who is nice and will let the 4 pounds slide.

But why not make it simple like nydr mentions and spilt the bags. Saves you $$$ and the hassle.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not The Same For All Airlines! And It Changes With The "Seasons"/Holidays!"

Only way is to call the airlines customer service Line!
They tried to pull that on me coming from Boston on American on Jan.4th! I had one bag at 55 lbs.Told me that would be 25 bucks.I called the supervisor aan talked my way out of the surcharge.They told me I should have asked about weight limit when I made my reservation,I told them I had a "E-Ticket"!
THAT did it!

ccccccccccccc

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Carrying 70lbs on Delta.

I came down the end of January and Delta had made the same rules for the US but had an exemption for Latin America, Mexico and the DR to the old limit of 70#. I did have a printout of the exemption from their web site to offer because the ticket agent tried to charge me $25 for my 63# bag and $100 for my 72# bag. Showed the exemption notice, switched a 5# bag of candy from the heavy bag to the other and went with one of 68# and the other 67#.

Also had friends fly in on Delta last month and 70#'s was the limit they had.

Would suggest a closer look at the baggage limit specs located WITHIN the airline websites. On the surface Delta is a 50# carrier but in the baggage information are the " exemptions ".

This might be the case with AA. You don't look it up and show them, they will go the 50# way.

However, this is March 3rd and the airlines might have new RULES in effect now.

kFrancis de Cabral

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Thats cool you guys get to carry that sort of weight on my trips from England to POP we are only allowed to carry 20lbs !! yes thats 20lbs!!
Try craming 3 months worth of stuff into that near impossible !!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Many times when couples travel together, the ticket agents will compensate the weight. Even on AA. Last time I traveled, one of our suitcases was over 56 lbs., but my husband's was about 40 lbs., so they didn't charge extra. I have lugged lots of weight around, especially in carry ons, when necessary. Take the heavy stuff on board.

I remember coming back from studying in NY at Columbia University. I had lots of books and stuff from my year up there. I didn't pay a cent extra and I had 11 suitcases. Just stood in line and asked kind passengers to pass the suitcases for me, and give me the stubs. That was, of course, in the pre 9/11 days. The good old days.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
blondytomato said:
Thats cool you guys get to carry that sort of weight on my trips from England to POP we are only allowed to carry 20lbs !! yes thats 20lbs!!
Try craming 3 months worth of stuff into that near impossible !!
20 lbs of carry-on or checked luggage?

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I travelled in January with AA and they told me the limit was 2 bags per person of 50lbs each and 40lbs of handluggage.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Actually, you can take more than that. Two bags of 50 lbs. each, and then two small suitcases of 40 lbs. to take on board the plane and store under your seat or in the overhead bin, and then on top of that you can take a hand bag, which can be quite big. You could lug another 10-15 pounds in that one. It's the size that's important. With the handbags, no one weighs them.

Bottom line, I think this is about right. Anything more than that will break your back. I understand the 50 lb limit was that the employees of the airlines were breaking their backs.

Different airlines have different limits, even for different flights, so you should check before hand.

Sep 19, 2005
Dolores said:
Actually, you can take more than that. Two bags of 50 lbs. each, and then two small suitcases of 40 lbs. to take on board the plane and store under your seat or in the overhead bin, and then on top of that you can take a hand bag, which can be quite big. You could lug another 10-15 pounds in that one. It's the size that's important. With the handbags, no one weighs them.

Bottom line, I think this is about right. Anything more than that will break your back. I understand the 50 lb limit was that the employees of the airlines were breaking their backs.

Different airlines have different limits, even for different flights, so you should check before hand.

I dont think two bags AND a HANDBAG.... the two bags are one carry-on up to 40 lbs with AA, and one briefcase-backpack-handbag type of bag that would have to go under the seat in front of you.

The last 2 trips i made I was only staying 5 days each so I did away with checked bags and crammed all my stuff into one huge carryone that was right at 40 lbs, but was tough to get into the one row of over head compartments...( one side accepts larger bags than the other side of the isle!) and i took a backpack that I eneded up putting up in the over head compartment ANYWAY!!! because they dont realize you are doing it, and dont know if you are putting a bag up for yourself or soemone else!

I have a link that someone on the forum posted with AA baggage allowance rules.. I think you can take up to 100 lbs...but it costs you..the first step is from 50-75 lbs and that costs you an extra $25... then the next level, 75lbs to_ what ever it the number was..I think 100 lbs it costs you $50....( now I am not sure right now wether that is an ADDITIONAL $50 or a total of $50 for that bag that weighs up to 100 lbs.

in that link they tell you about all the stuff you can bring on trips....from javelins, to skis to golf bags, to surfboards!!!! its all about money.

not sure where they draw the line on international flights.

the airlines have wars, and once in a while one will up the baggage allowance. Then the other does to not loose clients...jet blue and AA did that this past summer a few times.......jet blue will NOT accept over weight bags, while at least AA does!

BOB

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
I have to say on my recent trip from NYC to STI with AA i was the only non - Dominican on the aeroplane and my gosh !! do those guys have luggage !!okay... i understand they are taking stuff home for the family but i seen some crazy things people were pulling out cans of condensed milk and stuff !!!
Now Dominicans need the extra allowance ... i had to laugh inside about how much i love the actions of Dominican people