Books in English

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
I am an avid reader and have found a few bookstores in SD where I can buy books. However, I miss being able to trade books with my family and friends. If anyone would be interested in setting up a book exchange in the SD area I would love to be a part of it. I personally gravitate towards the murder/ mystery type of books and would list John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver as my favorite authors. Any takers??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I?ve often thought whether we could make a 'mobile book-exchange' via metro or caribbetours work?

Anyway Flamingojohn, I have a few of those that I'll trade. What are you offering in trade? :D

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I think you will find that most of the hotels that tourists frequent maintain a trading library (stocked by the paperbacks that the tourists leave behind). Ask around, and for a small propina to whomever maintains the library, you can have access to most current paperbacks. I do this at a couple of hotels in Playa Dorada and have access to all the best-sellers for only a couple of hundred pesos/month.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
HOWMAR said:
I think you will find that most of the hotels that tourists frequent maintain a trading library (stocked by the paperbacks that the tourists leave behind). Ask around, and for a small propina to whomever maintains the library, you can have access to most current paperbacks. I do this at a couple of hotels in Playa Dorada and have access to all the best-sellers for only a couple of hundred pesos/month.

So why don't you distribute those current paperbacks to the rest of us through a 'mobile library'? I'm sure we will all pay a few pesos a book -- to cover the costs of bussing them to and fro?

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
That actually sounds like a GREAT idea!

Chris said:
So why don't you distribute those current paperbacks to the rest of us through a 'mobile library'? I'm sure we will all pay a few pesos a book -- to cover the costs of bussing them to and fro?

I for one would love the opportunity to get some of those books. As it is now, I go to a book store here in the capital, and it costs twice what it would cost in the US. I have friends that bring some down from time to time, but it would sure work a lot better if I could get them locally!

Can we start a list and group?

Love Koontz, Grisham, and alike!

JRR

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Chris said:
Because I have it too easy now. I take 2 or 3 books to the hotel, give the activities girl 100 pesos, and trade for new titles. If I don't see somthing interesting at one hotel, I go nextdoor to another. I only posted this as an alternative for some having to shlep back and forth to Caribe Tours.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Post a list

Why don't we post a list with each members name of what they have to trade and we can all PM from there to make arrangements. I currently have only a few books here but they are:

Twisted- Jeffrey Deaver
Hidden Prey- John Sandford
Naked Prey- John Sandford

Update the list with what you have/ willing to part with and we can PM our way from there.
Flamingo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Helen Kellog Library

The English library with about 6000 titles is behind Ephiphany Church on Independencia about 2 blocks from the Clinic Abreu. Membership is 300 pesos annually and it is open 6 days a week for about 2 hours.There is a book sale on the first Saturday of each month. It is heavy on fiction- particularly the who dunnits. If you are in SD, it is the best way to supply your book habit.