PUCUMM Campus Life

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
I was wondering if there's anyone on this board who goes to school there. I'm looking up schools and PUCUMM comes to mind because I go to Santiago every year to visit family and my father. I'm fluent in spanish and would be commuting from Gurabo so housing, transportation, and culture won't be foreign to me and will make assimilation much easier, although I can't honestly say I've ever been in DR fro more than 2-4 months at a time (I was just in Santiago last week.)

I was wondering the schedule and workload you guys get. I'm leaning on Law or Economics. I was wondering how many classes will actually be related to the study of the subject unlike in the States where you don't actually learn your major until your third year, and by that time you've smoked so much weed and got soo drunk that your brain is worthless anyway.

If I want to take Economics for example, can anyone paint me a picture of the courses I would be taking? I'd also be interested in stuyding French if its available. I'd appreciate any inside information from anyone that actually knows the real academic happenings in the school as opposed to guys who just go there to pick up the hot chicks. Yeah, I know about them ;) .

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
k pasa sj!
Yeah, I can relate, go for it, dude, PUCCUUUMMM (WhaaTEVER) ROCKS, IT'S NUMERO UNO, as we say over here at Kappa Smegma fraternity.

I started out leaning on Law, too, then I found out how much crap you gotta read and I switched to economics where it's mostly just numbers and some letters once in a while, much easier on the cranium (specially if the memory ain't what it used to be like when we were younger or when we were younger).

Since I'm a full time, 3rd-year freshman, I know my way around the "system" as we call it here, much better than most, so you're hearing from the horse's you-know-what.

For Economics, the picture I would paint the best would be like that Holland guy's scream or whatever- thank god most of the courses have nothing to do with it, thank god!

Just march on in to the Registrar's ofice and give them some cash, dollars if possible, wink-wink, and ask a grown-up to fill in the application papers, no pee test necessary at all!

Ha, ha, who told you about all the HOT CHICKS!? that was supposed to be a secret... . By the way, forget French, all the profs have funny accents, a bitch to understand.

p.s. have you seen Beavis lately?

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Sorry, sj, that was my evil twin- such a serious enquiry surely deserves an equally serious reply, and I'm certain one is on the way even as we speak.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
What all do you want to know about academic life? what do you plan on doing once you are done? Are you going to stay in the DR?

In the DR, you do not have a major you choose a career. So unlike the the US where you have the option of the liberal arts degree, here it starts when you start.

Classes can run from 8 am - 12:00 and 2 - 8/9pm at night.

Next time you go down - take a tour of the campus and try to meet with professors and other students it will give you a much better idea about student life.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I d9o not think we still offer the economics degree in Santiago, but only in Santo Domingo.
The Law courses we offer are for practicing law in the Dominican Republic. While your English may well come in handy in the mock courts we participate in, you need French to really master the degree, especially at the graduate level in France.

At PUCMM, you enter a pretty easy first year where, in theory, you are "brought up to speed" in History, Philosophy, Math, a science, and a couple of other courses. You learn the 'system" ...From the second year on you are doing your career degree work...When you graduate you are a Doctor, Lawyer or an Engineer....or something else...whatever.

Smoking weed and boozing it up won't cut it and after two or three semesters you will be asked to leave for academic deficiency..

With the new three semester system, there is little time to phuck around, at least if you want to graduate. Only about half of those that enter ever graduate, which is still pretty good...

This year the semester ends during Holy Week and the exams start on Monday after Easter, so no Semana Santa for the students...

HB

PS: There is always UTESA

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
No semana santa!!

LOL!!

There is nooo way PUCMM students will miss Semana Santa over something as trivial as Finals...

They will all go get drunk in las terrenas and then either cheat their little heads off on the tests, of the prof will arange some BS curve grading scheme so people can pass...
Happend to me during the first festival presidente....didn't cheat, but failed the first chem 2 exam and later got to make it up.
Can't let anything get in the way of semana santa....very bad scheduling...gotta let students blow of some steam sometime!!

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
What I can't find any information on is how many hours DAILY am I going to be in the classroom. I know classes are from 8-12 and in te afternoons. Question is, will I be in class from 8-12 and then leave until the next day or will I have classes at night too?

Trust me, one can easily manage to have tons of fun and do well in school. You just have to be an expert in time management. Can anyone provide me of a sample schedule I would face on a daily basis if I were to major in Law???

Last edited:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Your schedule will be up to you. However usually you will have classes in the morning and in the afternoon. You may have 1 or 2 classes in the morning and possibly one or 2 in the afternoon. It all depends on your load.

I usually had classes in the morning then tried to either have the afternoon classes start at 4 and go later or start at 2 and get out earlier.

Try contacting the school to get answers for law school specific questions.
http://www.pucmmsti.edu.do/

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Se?or_Jim?nez:You will be given a series of tests, both academic ( Spanish, Math, general studies) and IQ, plus an English test.
IF you are successful in your Spanish and other tests, you will be admitted to a first year of studies where you will take: History of Western Civilization; Spanish IoI, Math 101, Biology & Biology Lab; Philosophy and English (unless you decide to bomb the test on purpose and exhonerate yourself from the class) and Student Orientation.
Probably about 22 or 23 credits or 23-24 hours of class a week.
Generally speaking, you can schedule either morning or afternoon sessions for the first and second semesters (Yes, I guess they will become Trimesters, soon).
This would mean, in all likelyhood, classes from 8-1:00 most days with your Biology Lab inthe afternoon...or from 2 until 6 or 7 p.m.

Are you planning on living in the DR after graduation?

HB :D:D