traffic in sto domingo

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
anyone wishing to share a few stories?

I have been run into 3 times in " La Serena" by various types with shopping carts....can you top that?

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
traffic

I am living here permanently since Nov. last. Have been hit 3 times at stop lights on Lincoln and Churchill. Fortunately I drive a Jeepeta so damage to my car was minimum...damage to the others was extensive.

What is it with these people....culture? Lack of brains?

They do incredible stupid things...for example: In your tipical supermarket parking lot you can clearly see a car in the process of backing out of its parking space....Another will come racing by and try to squeeze between the car backing up and other cars , a wall or whatever....results....a collision. I have seen it at least 4 times in the last 3 months. Now, really that is stupid behaviour in my book.

Can some Dominicans out there can comment?????

By the way there is a statistic put up by the Wrld Health Organization (WHO)
showing the DR as the second worst country in the world for traffic death by 10,000 cars in circulation. If anyone wants it I can send you the link.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
About a year ago I had a scooter/pasola trying to pass me on my right as I was making a right. He locked up his tires, lost control of the pasola and jumped off running, using the trunk of my car to stop him from nailing the asphault. Laughed all day after that one!

Another time, on my way to work, some dimwit backs out of his driveway while i'm driving down the calle and smashes my rear door. He had no insurance so it was pointless trying to get him to pay...

About 6 months ago, I back out of a plaza parking spot and as i'm about to put it into drive, a lady in a jeepeta starts backing up without looking, nails the same door (after it had already been fixed). Got her insurance information but since I didnt have any valid insurance, they didnt pay up.

A few months back, im stopped at an intersection, as traffic starts moving forward a couple of AMETs flag some guy in the other lane down and the guy in front of me hits his brakes. I brake and the guy behind me, who's staring at AMET, nails me from behind and knocks my back bumper off the car. I get out and look at AMET with a big wtf look while the idiot who just hit me starts yelling at them, saying it's their fault... lol No insurance for me at that time either so I had to move along... btw, AMET never even came over to the accident, they were too busy giving someone a ticket for not wearing their seatbelt...

To be fair, I myself have given the publico driver in front of me a tap once.... or twice. :)

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
pacito said:
I am living here permanently since Nov. last. Have been hit 3 times at stop lights on Lincoln and Churchill. Fortunately I drive a Jeepeta so damage to my car was minimum...damage to the others was extensive.

What is it with these people....culture? Lack of brains?

They do incredible stupid things...for example: In your tipical supermarket parking lot you can clearly see a car in the process of backing out of its parking space....Another will come racing by and try to squeeze between the car backing up and other cars , a wall or whatever....results....a collision. I have seen it at least 4 times in the last 3 months. Now, really that is stupid behaviour in my book.

Can some Dominicans out there can comment?????

By the way there is a statistic put up by the Wrld Health Organization (WHO)
showing the DR as the second worst country in the world for traffic death by 10,000 cars in circulation.
If anyone wants it I can send you the link.

Hi there :)

Do you know which country has the worst? I am just curious. Is it Korea?

Anyway, I once took a cab (in Santo Domingo) and the seatbelt did not work! This driver was going way too fast.

Me: "The seatbelt is not working."

Driver: "No problem. I'm a very good driver."

Me: ":ermm: "

Thank God I'm still alive.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You guys are crazy... more than 4 years and only one has come close to me and I have not bumped anyone else. One time some Italian in a parking lot backed into me... while I was parked. I yelled and he jumped out apologising - I shouted insurance details! Now! while waving what I hope was the insurance card. He talked sweet and gave me his business card to collect money for my damage the next day at his office. I said no way! Pay me now, or present insurance or I call Amet and tell them you molested me! All while messing with the small camera and taking photos. He turned a little white... talked more sweet and forked over some dough. The next day I called his 'office'... Well, no office!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Chris said:
You guys are crazy... more than 4 years and only one has come close to me and I have not bumped anyone else. One time some Italian in a parking lot backed into me... while I was parked. I yelled and he jumped out apologising - I shouted insurance details! Now! while waving what I hope was the insurance card. He talked sweet and gave me his business card to collect money for my damage the next day at his office. I said no way! Pay me now, or present insurance or I call Amet and tell them you molested me! All while messing with the small camera and taking photos. He turned a little white... talked more sweet and forked over some dough. The next day I called his 'office'... Well, no office!

I am glad to hear that you were able to get some money for the damage to your car. And I hope you did not get any injuries. And it was very smart of you to take pictures as proof.

But yelling and shouting only delays things.

pacito

Jul 28, 2004
road rage

I dont't know about you guys but the publicos drive me nuts...and the motoconchos are not far behind....like mosquitoes you feell like swatting them at every intersections.....I need a new supply ov valium!!!

Yesterday, some a..hole cut across 3 lanes ( me in the middle) to make a left turn...can you believe it? I just about run into him...is this stupid or what?

I wonder what is the annual cost to the country of this incedible stupid way of driving...must be millions of dollars in hospital and health costs....