Help! I'm Brand New!

Mar 5, 2006
Hello,

I'm British and brand new to the forum and to Dominican Republic, I'll be marrying my tall dark handsome Dominican and moving to the south east of the country in July. So, what can you tell me? If you have any gems of wisdom or advice, places to see, to avoid, finding work, food to try, or anything at all that I should know please share your wisdom!

Thanks guys xx;)

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I need more earrings said:
Hello,

I'm British and brand new to the forum and to Dominican Republic, I'll be marrying my tall dark handsome Dominican and moving to the south east of the country in July. So, what can you tell me? If you have any gems of wisdom or advice, places to see, to avoid, finding work, food to try, or anything at all that I should know please share your wisdom!

Thanks guys xx;)

Congratulations and welcome to DR1! :)

This website has a lot of helpful information. So browse through it and do some reading. Or you can use the search engine to find a specific topic.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Aha, now I've seen your other post on http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=376399&postcount=95 I have a better idea.

You're asking what the posters on this board can tell you. Do a few things for sure! First, keep a return ticket handy, second, keep sufficient money on hand that no-one else but you know about, to get yourself out of a sticky situation, should one arise. Don't share these two things with your new Dominican man - keep them private where only you know where the ticket and the money is. Your new Dominican family will probably not consider your stuff as private, so, be sure you keep these two things private.

Once you've done that and keep doing that, then go out and have a great time. Be careful initially of what you eat and more importantly, where you eat, make sure that there is a standard of hygiene. You'll get used to the food here. Don't drink the water, drink bottled water. Be careful of too much sun and always look after your own safety.

Read everything on these boards for a whole lot of good information. And learn Spanish as fast as you can. Welcome to DR1.

Mar 5, 2006
Thanks already!!
I've been to DR 3 times for 9 weeks in total, I do like it there although I have to admit I'm not totally in love with the country yet, maybe I just haven't had the time.

My TDH Dominican is a tour guide, around Punta Cana area. I've known him for about a year and a half, and I doknow a little about the DR, not enough though, not by a long way.

Thanks for your welcomes! Look forward to your wisdoms

xx

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Here is my .02:

Do not take any crap from your DR husband that you wouldn't take at home. Do not rationalize unacceptable behaviour on his part just because you are so far from home and it's going to cost a lot more than standard cab fare to move back in with Mom (mum for you, I guess) if things go south.

Just remember who you are and what your standards are and don't waver and then if things go well, congratulations. And if they don't go well, move on just like you would anywhere else.

Sorry if this sounds gloomy, but I am speaking from a strictly statistical standpoint where DR man/Foreign woman marriages have a pretty low success rate, even lower than Foreign man/DR woman marriages which are already pretty low.

Good Luck!

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
i agree very much with Mr. Mike.
a veteran of three marriages to dominicans (should i be admitting this?) it can be very different to overcome cultural differences. both sides must be aware of this, and preferably be familiar with their partner's cultural, to take a stab at making the relationship work.
above all as Mr. Mike says- DONT TAKE ANY CRAP!

Sep 19, 2005
I say congradulations on your upcoming wedding

then Ill say...my daughter just moved out and had sooooo much junk she threw tons of it in huge garbage bags. so much so i decided it would be cheaper to burn it than have the garbage man take it away...sooooo

while burning her stuff this past weekend...I started looking through the bags before I threw them in the fire!.. man she was throwing a ton of good stuff away.. and one thing I found was a big round mesh screen on a stand that had several dozen ear rings on it!!!!!!!!!!

and here you are!!!!!!! not having enough!!!!!!!(screen name ...dont have enough ear rings!) maybe I could send some as a wedding gift!!!! ha ha ha

I dont know maybe I am a little flakey today, but you post for the first time 1 day after i found out about my daughters ear rings....funny stuff

bob

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
i would love to tell you a little more- but there is so much i will have to filter through a lot and then get back to you!
but thanks for your curiosity!