Security on Cabarete and Cabrera area

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Hi all

I'm planning to move with my familly in DR, but many people told me about bigger and bigger security issues.

I'm french, and I know several people who sold all they had in DR to go back to France.

I'm thinking about Cabarete or Rio San Juan or Cabrera area to move in.

What do you think? Is it really dangerous?
I want a house in a residence with security 24hrs. Do you know if there is problems in this residence too?

I have enough of living in France but I don't want to make a step back going to DR... I want to improve my lifestyle!! Do you think it's possible or it's a dream?

Thank you all

Diego

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I recently visited friends in Sea Horse Ranch, a gated community near Cabarete, and was impressed by the leave all doors open attitude. I know two women who live in their homes alone in Cabrera, and do not seem concerned. So, it is not rampant, still isolated incidents of crime. The increase in crime has been mostly in Santo Domingo, the capital city, especially in areas where crime was unheard of before, and thus the headlines incidents are making and the attention the public is demanding.

While it was not in the past, security is an issue to look into. Talk to your future neighbors and ask about how they deal with the security issue. Each case will be different. The people who are already there are those who will know best.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm impressed with the alarm installations I've seen done by Alerta in Santiago and the devices they use seem very well suited for use here. The devices are made by Honeywell/Ademco, which is a well regarded manufacturer of security devices for homes and businesses, and they do an excellent job of hiding the wires after the job is done. If you want contact info, let me know.

Regarding putting bars on windows, I've learned that they give you the illusion of security but not much real security. Serious thieves can pot those bars off very easily using a pickax or crowbar. With a pickax, for example, they stick one end of the head between bottom bar and concrete and pull back like you would a hammer when pulling a nail. The bars come right off the window. For this rason, I am now thining alarms instead of bars. I like the Alerta sensors because you can have the windows open. With the contact windows, the louvered windows that most of us have must be closed to work.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
Thank you for your answers.

I'll be in the area in a week so I'm gonna ask this kind of questions to many people.
I don't want my family to take risk.

What you told, Dolores, about your friends leaving open doors is what I'm looking in moving in RD. I hope I'll can do that.

If other have experiences to share with me, it'll be a pleasure