Adding money to Verizon Phone

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
The last time I was in the DR (Jan 06), I had a cell phone activated with Verizon. I think I have like 10 pesos left on the phone. The actual phone is here with me in the US.

I'm coming back down on 4/7/06 and want to make sure my phone works when I step off the plane. I called Verizon in the DR and they told me my phone would be suspended by the end of March if I didn't put some more money on it. They wouldn't help me load up the phone.

A friend in the DR bought a verizon card for me, called a local number and tried to load up my phone over the telephone. For some reason he wasn't prompted to enter the code. He and I are kind of at a loss of what to do next.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to keep this phone activated?

MCM

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
You can do it from the US...............

by calling 1-809-200-3224..................

...........if that helps...........:paranoid:

ALSO, you can now transfer money from one prepaid phone to another by using the
*33 feature.............but I haven't done it and don't know how it works, since my account is on a monthly bill.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
To the best of my knowledge

there is no way to do this with the phone there with you. I believe you must call from that phone to load pesos in it. If you are going to be gone more than 90 days, what you need to do is leave the phone with a friend and have them call in a 30RD card before it expires. You will not have the phone when you get off the plane of course, but you will have it, with the same phone number, as soon as you can hook up with your friend.

In your current situation, I think about all you could do is see if someone trustworthy who is going down before the phone expires will agree to take it with them and load it, then either leave it with someone you know or bring it back to you. Perhaps someone on the board could help you out. Shipping it down and back to do this would cost a small fortune.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I just loaded a card into a phone..............

.............for a friend of mine to see how it worked.

I did it from my home phone.....

Called 1-809-200-3224

It asked to enter the phone number of the phone (10 digits)

It then repeated the number to make sure it was correct...........

It then did some song and dance in Spanish too fast to know what it said.....

It then asked to enter the card number.........(10 numbers) (from the card you purchased).

It then said congratulations you got some bonus etc..............then gives you the value in your phone .............then gives you the option to check your balance and suspension date.............

NOTE: SOMETIMES IT DOES NOT WORK.........OR GIVES YOU A BUSY SIGNAL OR JUST STOPS...............

AS USUAL IN THE DR................TRY TRY AGAIN!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Reply To:

"I believe you must call from that phone to load pesos in it"..............

NO, you can do it from any phone from either the US or the DR.............

Just try try again!

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
I use a Vonage phone here in the US and I can't get through to the number. The customer service people said it had to be called from a residential or public phone??????

MCM

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
We learn something new every day.

Which is why I like to use disclaimers like "to the best of my knowledge."
It's great for me if I can take my phone home and keep it activated, since this will give me the flexibility of flying into different airports and having a phone when I arrive rather than having to hook up with my friend in Puerto Plata first. Thanks for the info Bad Boy

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
POP Bad Boy said:
"I believe you must call from that phone to load pesos in it"..............

NO, you can do it from any phone from either the US or the DR.............

Just try try again!
I am the one who has been trying to call for Mike. I bought him a verizon card and was hoping to call customer service, tell them his cell # and the situation, and then ask them to load the minutes in. Instead, I get an automated message prompting me to type in my (his) cell #. Then they give me the balance (10 pesos). I am never given an option to load new minutes in or the opportunity to speak to a human being:tired:.

Larry

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Put it this way, I am friendly with the manager of a Verizon USA store in NYC.
His family lives in Santiago, we spent 30 minutes on the phone on his store's nickle with Verizon Dominicana and were unable to figure it out.

He told me the only SURE solution to keep a number perpetually is to open an account with a monthly factura.

I am not saying it CAN NOT be done. But good Luck!

Just a thought, why can't this be done in The Verizon office in Santo Domingo without the phone? I am fairly sure when you activate a phone in SDQ and buy a card, the girl enters the PIN on her computer and NOT the phone .

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tamborista said:
Just a thought, why can't this be done in The Verizon office in Santo Domingo without the phone? I am fairly sure when you activate a phone in SDQ and buy a card, the girl enters the PIN on her computer and NOT the phone .
In fact, in POP I didn't even need to buy a card to load minutes. Went to the Verizon office, they pulled the account up on their computer, and loaded the amount requested directly.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I checked the number and is working 1-809-200-3224, after to enter the 10 digits of the number the machine repeat the number and if is correct you have to dial 1 incorrect 2 then you will be prompt to enter the calling card number.

Sometimes they put advertisement before to say to enter the card numbers, guess is what you hear so fast

when using *33 the amount recharged using the methoud do not add days to your service, only gives you more balance to your account.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Thanks

Looks like $$ has been added to the phone and the suspension date extended!!

Thanks for the help!!!!!

MCM