Car Hire

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Im looking to rent a small four wheel drive car when i come over in May. Only for a week. Forget Hertz and Avis - rip off merchants !!! Planner organised a hire car for me once before but she is AWOL at mo lol

I would want to pick up from airport and return it there or in Puerto Plata - and help or telephone numbers would be great.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you go with one of the non-brand car rental companies, you are skating on thin ice if something happens. It might be better to 'get ripped off.' Choose your company carefully and make sure you got all insurance (and read the fine print). I am sure there are some non-brand companies out there that are good.

Sep 19, 2005
well I have not so name brand company for you to call.

Savings Rental Car

they have an office in Puerto Plata airport, as well as STI.

I have used them about 7 times so far....yes I have had issues, but they have resolved them, and they go out of their way to make you happy...even when you think you will never be! ha ha ha

They have picked up cars for me, when I have had a flat and needed to get to the airport pronto.

they have driven others cars to me where I was becuase there was a problem with the car I did have at the moment.

once the guy at the gas station filled the Montero up with diesel...but it uses gasoline....killed the motor.
the guy came over and quaterbacked them drainign the gas tank at the gas station , and clearing the motor.....

they rent a little older cars. maybe 2003- 1999

they are a little banged on the corners sometimes...but its good . You look like you fit in!! you dont stand out!!!!

call Yohanne... she will lie her tail off...but you will get a good car at a decent price. and if you have trouble they will fix it where ever you are.

809-752-4284....... she is gonna yes you to death....but a nice Grand Vitari only costs me about $50 per day if i rent for a week.......

good luck

bob

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Thanks Bob.

How good is her English cos my Spanish at the moment is at best cr*p !!!!!

If the cars are a little older are they reliable? I was thinking about driving to Santo Domingo to see my partners mother, would hate to breakdown halfway there.

Thanks in advance

Sep 19, 2005
well non eof the cars actually broke down for me...there was a few weeks there over the fall and into winter that the gas stations had very bad regular gas.. and many fuel pumps went. That, and the time they put diesel in my gasoline car are the only times my cars"broke down"

but I have had problems with the stereos playing my cds... and I exchanged cars several times, because i love to listen to music...

they have newer cars as well....not any 2006 's but maybe they have a 2004.

Yohanne speaks english fine....she is only good for the resevation...so they know you are coming 6 times out of 6 times the car that i specifically asked for wasnt there when I arrived!!! but i always got another that was acceptable. ITS THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC you know..details arent important to them!!!! ha ha ha

I have been through enough now to know the one I want. and I ask for them again.

ALL the way to Santo Domingo!!

I rented and drove from santiago to Higuey! on one trip and then I drove to Samana on another trip, plus almost every time I go down to the DR I make a trip in to sosua and puerto plata.....so i put a lot of miles on the cars and they have been fine

good luck

bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
i have rented from alamo at STI several times,, never had problem with cars.
i have rented compact car (similar to chevy cavalier/cobalt 4-door).
Prices w/taxes & tire/window coverage ~US$30/DAY if you rent for 1 wk.
If you rent less then maybe $32-33/day. I know you wanted small 4-wheel suv but i just wanted you to compare prices.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
car hire

Thanks.

I really need a four wheel drive - state of roads and the way I drive!!!!! Not a good combination.

Have a little while before i go - so i will just keep looking and researching until i find something that is cheap, reliable and safe (insurance wise).

Sep 19, 2005
what did Yohanne say?

they have plenty of small four wheel drive cars( jeepetas)

in any case good luck....walk around the car and make sure there is NOTHING on the car that would let someone know its a rental car.

yes they all know that some white people do actually live in the DR...

the bad guys looks for stickers that tell them the car is a rental.

drive like you own the place...dont be timmid... always honk when you pass a motorcycle....this is important!!!!

they RELY on people to tell them someone is about to pass them...because they just uup and turn!!!! they have no blinkers!

makes ure the windshield wipers work good and the lights are adjusted well.....night time driving is tough and you want to be able to SEE

and most times the other guys dont trun their high beems off!..and if your windshield is a mess,( because the wipers dont work good) then yopu have a zillion lights blinding you when another car in coming at you!!!!!

take the advice or dont..either way...good luck

bob

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Road Rage

Haven't called her yet. Im working til 11 tonight so may call when i get home from work.

Thanks for the sound advice. I must admit i am bit nervous about driving in the DR but hell i cant be much worse than 95% of the others that drive lol. It's not me im worried about its all the others. I know what im going to do next - you haven't a clue what the car front is going to do next.

I am not a timid driver anyway in fact i totally change when i get in a car. I get a rush of testosterone and get all macho and aggressive. My brother works in formula 1 for Williams and he has been in motorsport for the last 20 years. That being said after a short drive with me he swore never to get in car with me again. !!!!! He said it was like being in a tin can with Linda Blair (Exorcist) lol

Do you get many incidents of road rage in the DR?

laurapasinifan said:
what did Yohanne say?

they have plenty of small four wheel drive cars( jeepetas)

in any case good luck....walk around the car and make sure there is NOTHING on the car that would let someone know its a rental car.

yes they all know that some white people do actually live in the DR...

the bad guys looks for stickers that tell them the car is a rental.

drive like you own the place...dont be timmid... always honk when you pass a motorcycle....this is important!!!!

they RELY on people to tell them someone is about to pass them...because they just uup and turn!!!! they have no blinkers!

makes ure the windshield wipers work good and the lights are adjusted well.....night time driving is tough and you want to be able to SEE

and most times the other guys dont trun their high beems off!..and if your windshield is a mess,( because the wipers dont work good) then yopu have a zillion lights blinding you when another car in coming at you!!!!!

take the advice or dont..either way...good luck

bob

Sep 19, 2005
crazydaisy said:
Do you get many incidents of road rage in the DR?

actually I have been in lots of situations that would take the nromal person 15 years to accumulate...believe me....BUT

I have never gotten invloved in any road rage, or actually even seen it for that matter........ they have agressive drivers down there... and if you peeesss them off.. they get over it quick and just keep moving....

believe me when I say, you will see someone pass, when you thinks its marginal...but thats nothing , all of the sudden there will be someone trying to pass him..WHILE he was trying to pass someone else!!!!! all when you think there isnt room for anyone to pass!!!!!!!!...right up to the point its a head on accident, then at the last minute every body wiggles and all is well.................... the big cars give no respect to motorcycles..COMING AT THEM.......... they have to get out of the way... even if the big car is on the wrong side of the road!!!!! ha ha ha

you will remember your time driving down there!!! ha ha

bob