Credit Card Fraud

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
After using my Credit Card at Hotel Continental in STGO to pay for my room last January, it was used for charges via internet for about 40,000.00 in purchases through a bogus pay pall account. The same thing happened to a friend of mine who paid for his room with his CC. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same experience. Not saying the Hotel was responsible but what a coincidence.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Wow, Eddy. I am sorry to hear that. Any chance in recovering your money?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Different hotel but similar result in December '04 at Playa Dorado.
Within two hours of paying my bill the credit card # was used to make twelve $50 gasoline purchases in Miami. The card had not been used for any other purchases for months prior to my paying the hotel bill.

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
What and how they do it:

Your card is swiped twice, once in the pc card reader and a second time into a "skimmer". Then the tracks are downloaded from the skimmer and emailed. Then the tracks are "written" into another card and used.:ninja:

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Forgot to say that for less than $500 anyone can buy on Ebay the necessary equipment to do this.

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
same happened to me

I went to a mid size supermarket in jarobocoa paid with my cc and shortly after that was used by somebody else in SD in a gas station for 5,000 (twice) and 10,000(drugstore) the very same day. I found out that when I got home in NY...
I had the credit card with me all the time...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That is so very scary. Who thinks to do stuff like this? It just boggles my mind that someone actually comes up with these schemes.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
wow this is scary... i have used my credit cards at resorts 2x, restaurants, 8A, car rentals,,,, and none of this has happened to me but i know it can happen to anyone, anywhere on the island. We should be cautious when using CC's anywhere. Sometimes it's better to use cash.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I try not to use my CC in The DR if I can avoid it. I only use it at places like The Hilton, Courtyard, etc...and I check my balances almost every day after I use it. Nowdays you don't even need to have a physical card to buy stuff over the web.

I had a friend who stayed at a hotel in Juan Dolio a while back and when he came back to The US found that they had charged a trip to Costa Rica and all kinds of other stuff. It took him a while to get it cleared up and he only had to pay 50 USD, but still it is a big hassle.

Another thing I do is that I have a citibank credit card that I cannot use in another country unless I call them first to get it activated. So for instance I used it at Ochoa hardware store, but I had to call Miami first for them to allow the charge. It is a hassle, but better than have to deal with the fraud later.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
With Visa in the UK at least if you spot an anomaly and report it within 90 days they will investigate and usually reimburse you in full. It only happened to me once, also in Juan Dolio, at one of the beachside restaurants. The card was swiped twice and an additional charge of US$100 was made. For once I was negligent in checking the bills, because soon after visiting this restaurant I left the country to give birth and didn't come back for four months, so it slipped past me and I was not reimbursed. They sent me a copy of the forged slip with a dreadful imitation of my signature and everything. Good thing it wasn't a large sum.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
This is absolutely scary. Eddy I hope you can get your money back.

This hasn't happened to me in the DR and I've used my card in so many places. Maybe I should avoid using it like Suaren does to avoid the hassle. I better bring more cash the next time I visit.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
trina said:
Wow, Eddy. I am sorry to hear that. Any chance in recovering your money?
The charges were on my statement. I haven't paid it. They cancelled my card and asked for a letter from me stating that the charges were not mine. They will re-issue another card. But what surprises me is that they were able to open an ebay account. All the charges were made over the internet to companies in California. Weird!!!.
BTW, that was pesos not US$ otherwise I'd be among the insane right about now. LOL

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The law in the U.S. is that you are only liable for the first $50 in case of CC fraud. This is with all U.S. issued credit cards.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
The law in the U.S. is that you are only liable for the first $50 in case of CC fraud. This is with all U.S. issued credit cards.
But not debit cards. Individual banks can set liability limits.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SKY said:
Most companies don't even make you pay the $50 anymore.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
HOWMAR said:
But not debit cards. Individual banks can set liability limits.

Good point. Never use your debit card to pay for anything in The DR or over the internet as they are directly tied to your bank funds and the banks will not put your money back if it's withdrawn.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
suarezn said:
Good point. Never use your debit card to pay for anything in The DR or over the internet as they are directly tied to your bank funds and the banks will not take put your money back if it's withdrawn.
Some banks now reimburse their customers for fraud. I'm guessing unlike the credit cards they don't put the funds back until after the investigation.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
I have looked at my statement the month after I have used my card in the DR. And the companies listed dont sound anything like the place I charged with the card... thats because the OFFICIAL name of the company may be something other than what the sign says...luckily the amounts and dates matched what i knew to have charged on the card.

Luckily I havent had the fraud happen yet.

makes the point of looking at your statement carefully each month!!!

the credit card company cant fault you if you dont know until the card statement comes in!

so in cases where they used your card the same day at other locations....you could go back and have a talk with SOMEONE at the original store..........

maybe it would be a good idea to take the name of the employee when you use your card at the hotel..... and tell him why you are taking the name...

if he was going to scam, youd push him onto the next guy with a card

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Some backs now reimburse their customers for fraud. I'm guessing unlike the credit cards they don't put the funds back until after the investigation.
Bank of America advertises (confirmed on their website) that they will credit any debit account within 24 hours for unauthorized charges if they are reported within 60 days of the charge appearing. Whereas Chase says they will issue credit after investigation if reported within 30 days.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
suarezn said:
Good point. Never use your debit card to pay for anything in The DR or over the internet as they are directly tied to your bank funds and the banks will not take put your money back if it's withdrawn.

Suarezn,

I have a Citibank debit and was part of fraud here in the states. It was for $675.00 and I got it all back. This was last summer. Maybe they just started doing this a few years ago.

Was it like that before? Where they wouldn't reimburse for debit cards?

Interesting....