Teacher????

Rodriguez.R

Mar 8, 2006
Ok, so if you are fluent in English and Spanish, have a MS degree in Education, a BA degree in Spanish, 6 years of teaching experience with a teaching license, and 3 years of customer service (not including teaching)..........what's a reasonable salary or pay per hour in DR (Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata area) as a teacher. I had a phone interview yesterday and they pay 140 pesos per hr....What about the customer service and/or private industry? >>>>>Any suggestions........sugerencias?:surprised

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Don't dream...

Hi!
I have learned 7 languages, speak fluently Spanish, French, English, Dutch,... I have lots of diplomas in different fields (I owned also my own company,...). I used to be a teacher for more than 20 years and last year I found a job here in Dominican Republic. I worked as a guest service in a big resort : almost 60 hours/week for....10 000 pesos/month!!! Good luck if you find something better (and send me the address...). Everybody told me it was a very good salary, so....

Nov 5, 2004
It totally depends on the school you are teaching in, I would assume. I haven't looked around at other schools, so I don't know what their salaries are like.

I teach at a private school in Costambar, and the salary ranges depending on your education. But with your qualifications I think you should be able to make some good $$. The teachers with degrees make about $16,000+ pesos a month. More if they have worked there for a number of years.I won't post my salary on here, if you want more info send me a private message.

I do know some schools in Puerto Plata who pay considerably less then where I work, and the hours are much longer.

I work from 8am-2pm at the school and have 2 or 3 45 minute breaks during the day (when they have their spanish lessons, since I teach only in english) which I use to do my marking, so I won't have as much to do at home.

However I also tutor after school at some of my students' houses, and an average rate I charge is $200pesos an hour + transportation (if you don't have your own or they don't drive you).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Since you are bilingual English/Spanish and have customer service experience, you would probably do better (certainly more than 16,000 pesos/month) working in one of the call centers. The hours would be longer than teachng, 44 hrs in a 5 1/2 day week, but teaching has little potential for salary growth.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you just have to be in that area you are very limited in what you can make as a teacher or a tutor.

Some of the schools in the Capital pay well in addition to providing a housing allowance or apartment plus other perks. I've tutored in the past for 25.00 USD per hour (almost two years ago) but I quit because at this point in my life my time is worth more than that to me.

Most of the schools have already hired for next year. There are a lot of international schools all over the world though, maybe you would be happy going somewhere else. PM me if you would like to ask any questions.

Nov 5, 2004
I guess it all depends if you just want to make money or if you enjoy teaching. I love teaching! And you can definatly make enough money to live easily. Maybe not to be rich, but to have everything you need. And once again it depends on your standards.

Just by tutoring 2 kids 3 or 4 times a week I make an extra $6,000 on top of what I make at the school. And if I wanted another $6,000 a month from tutoring on top of that I could easily fit it in.

But I also enjoy having lots of spare time. So I choose to only tutor 2 children.