Rubi 92.5 off the air

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I just read that Rubi 92.5 is off the air. Are they out of business or just having transmission problems?

Hifiman

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Oh, no!

The only English-language station in DR was short lived. I'm very sorry it ain't there no more!
What happens now? Does another all-too-common, bachata-laden, format takes its place? Or does its slot in the spectrum go dead? For good? How does that work?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What really happened?

I do miss listening to Mad Max myself, unfortunately I guess their business model did not work out as planned. This will probably be deleted by "el capitan" within 15 minutes!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rubi has been bought out by a fellow by the name of Steve.
I'm not sure if it's on the air now, as I have no radio here, but I do know he is looking for a new locale, so if it's not on the air now, it will be soon.
Steve has lived here for many many years and is one of the good guys, so I would guess that Rubi will be better than ever, as Steve always does things well, or doesn't do them at all.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thank you Marco!
I knew it would not be kept a secret forever.

They are not broadcasting over the internet yet as far as I can tell.
I look forward to hearing them again , and wish the new owner, Steve good luck.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Hmmm

I think the fact that your post was made day's after the event goes to show what most people thought of the radio station.

It was taken for granted by a lot of people - (just switch on the radio and there it is) without realising the back-breaking hours and slog that some people were putting into it. BTW Some of the staff gave up their time for free.

Steve will pull something out of the hat I'm sure, but having spent a few fun filled day's working at the station I would just like to thank the people who worked their butts off for little of no wages (or a loss) to bring something different to our ear-holes. Sadly missed - gone (for the time being) but not forgotten.

Thank-you Rubi 92.5 (except Max - 'cos he's ****e!):cool: :cool: :cool:

Ohmite

Feb 25, 2003
Hello,
Rubi has been off the air for the past 2 months.
What started as technical and electrical problems turning into a typical DR nightmare, with everything collapsing at the same time. My guess is, Phil and Chip decided it was a sign to close the doors and carry on with their other business ventures.

Although there were other interested parties, in a great show of confidence, Phil and Chip offered me the station. They are both very commited to Rubi, and have been incredibly helpful in making the transaction and transition as easy as possible. My hat's off to you both.. Thanks.

Here's what's happening. I've bought Rubi, power problems have been fixed. 90% of the hardware problems have been fixed, or are in the process of being.
New office has been aquired; The station will be moving to a more economical location. All that's left is the physical move, connection of the new studio tower, and assembling the transmitter house on Isabella. My target date is April 1st, and so far, that is still a valid date.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support, input and positive remarks.
It's clear that Rubi has been missed by alot of people, and I'm proud that we will be continuing the work that Ricky originally set into motion.

-10 days and counting..

Steven Wilson

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Can you move that date to the 2nd of April....always hate April fools jokes.....

Best, Dave

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Sad to hear that but hopefully it is only temporary and will be back better than ever. Great staff who did a great job. Good luck to all.

Ohmite

Feb 25, 2003
Sorry Dave, no joke...
:D
Things are moving nicely, and the first of the month was always my target. That gave me a whole 3 weeks to organize power, office, tower, staff, format, advertisers, equipment, phones, generators, inverters, cabling, and a couple hours sleep.
;)
Besides.. the 1st is a Saturday, and I plan on throwing the switch, and drinking presidente.

Steve

jetnick

Mar 15, 2006
Hi Steven,

I just met you last week. You may recall the American Airlines pilot Ricky introduced you to standing at that outdoor bar by the station. You and he were talking about some tower issues.

Good luck with your venture, and i'll be looking forward to hearing your station on my return.

If you see Ricky, tell him that Nick says hello from Dallas.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
91.7 Fm

is another station that plays songs with English lyrics. The commercials are all in Spanish, but I happened on it and until Ruby gets back up, it's a fair substitute.

Ohmite

Feb 25, 2003
Rubi is in the building

As of 4:30 this afternoon, Rubi is back on the air.
Few tweeks and fix to still do, but the station is broadcasting and should be in great shape by the end of this week.
I'd like to thank everyone for repeatedly showing interest in keeping Rubi alive. It's well worth the effort after seeing the faces of people when I tell them .... WE'RE BACK!!!