First Round - Friday's Games

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
DR to Join Korea...

DR should be able to easily beat Australia in tonight's game. If they do they will go into the second round undefeated as did Korea. What will be interested about tonight's PR - Cuba game is who will also go into the second round undefeated. My pesos are on PR - but it should be a blast and the game itself will certainly be worth watching.

If anyone is going to be in Brooklyn tonight and available to watch the game in one of many DR restaurants in Brooklyn that will be showing this game let me know. (I'll check my PMs.)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Panama-The Netherlands has started

After the first inning it's The Netherlands 5 - Panama 0

:cool: :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
Cleef, isn't there another popular thread, started by ME, that "talks" about the same thing that you want to "talk" here?.

Copycat, perhaps?.
Just remember,

Only good things are copied! ;)

-NALs

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Cleef said:
Not a very good bet, but I'm (somewhat reluctantly) going to be rooting for South Africa today.

Neat story

My God...Cleef...that is a great story!!! I am impressed...Now I'm torn about who to root for...'cause I always root for the underdog...but now in this game BOTH teams are underdogs!!! ;)

Ok...let's see...may the best team win!!!

MQ

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
That was an interesting story - but it said that Mike Piazza is playing for Italy? How many generations is he removed from Italy - probably more than ARod is from DR.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm guessing.

Chris_NJ said:
That was an interesting story - but it said that Mike Piazza is playing for Italy? How many generations is he removed from Italy - probably more than ARod is from DR.
But I believe it's at least two, so yes, way more than AR.

I thought T. Lasorda was his uncle or something (godfather?) like that and his parents were first generation.

I could be wrong, but I think I have it close.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Piazza

Chris_NJ said:

Chris, the interesting thing is that the WBC rules specify that you can play for your "homeland" if you or one of your parents were born in that "homeland - which is why A-Rod qualified to play for DR. Not only was Piazza nor his parents not born in Italy, it was his grandparents that were born in Italy and they still let him play for Italy! But, I say it's okay since it adds interest to the game.

As a side note, those grandparents of Piazza's met at the airport on their way to America! I think the ladies will find this romantic.

BTW MQ, root for the USA, they're the underdogs today! ehehehehehe!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Actually...USA is beating South Africa 4-0 right now...no, wait...it's 7-0 right now...4 runs in the first inning, and 3 right now...top of the second...WOW!!!

What a beating!!! Straight from mlb.com:

Top 1ST B:1 S:2 O:1
Alex Rodriguez doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Jason Cook. Derek Jeter scores. Ken GriffeyJr. Alex Rodriguez to 3rd. Fielding error by center fielder Jason Cook.

Top 1ST B:3 S:2 O:2
Derrek Lee homers (2) on a fly ball to right field. Alex Rodriguez scores.

Top 2ND B:1 S:0 O:2
Ken GriffeyJr. homers (1) on a line drive to right field. Randy Winn scores. Derek Jeter scores.

Top 2ND B:1 S:2 O:2
Alex Rodriguez singles on a sharp ground ball to center fielder Jason Cook.

NO..Wait...Derreck Lee doubles...ARod and Chipper score...it's 9-0!!!
Shoot! This is gonna be nice!!!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Lol!!!

It's 10-0 in just 1.5 innings USA over South Africa.

Anyone wanna betta that the USA will be the 1st to have the mercy rule called?

Canada shouldn't have woken them up.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Sorry...USA is not the first one with the mercy rule...that went to the Netherlands...they beat Panama 10-0 already!

MQ

Come on guys! Keep up with the program!!! ;)

ALSO...FROM MLB.COM

Shairon Martis has thrown the first no-hitter in World Baseball Classic history, getting a double play with one out in the seventh against the last batter he could face, and the mercy rule was implemented at that point with the Netherlands beating Panama, 10-0

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Nope.

Musicqueen said:
Sorry...USA is not the first one with the mercy rule...that went to the Netherlands...they beat Panama 10-0 already!

MQ

Come on guys! Keep up with the program!!! ;)

I think it was Japan over Taiwan 18 -2

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
From MLB.COM

*Players competing in the three-week event will use international rules, including the use of a designated hitter, and possibly a "mercy" rule -- when a nine-inning game is shortened to seven innings if the losing team is trailing by 10 or more runs.

I think the Japan game went all the way to the 9 inning...Taiwan had 2 runs when Japan scored the rest...

And about Piazza playing for Italy:

*The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the team represents, as evidenced by a birth certificate or its equivalent. (Additionally, if a player has ancestral ties to a participating country/territory such that, in his and the participating country's/territory's opinion, the player should be declared eligible to play for that country/territory, they may petition World Baseball Classic Inc. for a declaration of his eligibility. Such petition will be granted if World Baseball Classic Inc. and the IBAF jointly determine that the player's participation is justified, and further reasonably can be seen as promoting international baseball. In the event a player is eligible to play on more than one team, the player may select the team for which he wishes to play, provided that nothing shall prohibit such a player from declaring his willingness to play for any team for which he is eligible to play.)

MQ

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
OH MY GOD!!! 14-0

Top 3RD B:2 S:1 O:0
Randy Winn singles on a line drive to right fielder Ian Butcher.

Top 3RD B:4 S:2 O:0
Johnny Damon walks. Randy Winn to 2nd.

Top 3RD B:0 S:0 O:0
Derek Jeter singles on a ground ball to left fielder Shannon Ekermans. Randy Winn scores. Johnny Damon to 2nd.

Top 3RD B:3 S:1 O:0
Ken GriffeyJr. homers (2) on a line drive to right field. Johnny Damon scores. Derek Jeter scores.

Alex Rodriguez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jason Cook.

MQ

Sorry, someone else keep score...I have to leave to go to my next remote!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Mercy Rule!

Musicqueen said:
OH MY GOD!!! 14-0

Randy Winn singles on a line drive to right fielder Ian Butcher.

Top 3RD B:4 S:2 O:0
Johnny Damon walks. Randy Winn to 2nd.

Top 3RD B:0 S:0 O:0
Derek Jeter singles on a ground ball to left fielder Shannon Ekermans. Randy Winn scores. Johnny Damon to 2nd.

Top 3RD B:3 S:1 O:0
Ken GriffeyJr. homers (2) on a line drive to right field. Johnny Damon scores. Derek Jeter scores.

Alex Rodriguez singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jason Cook.

MQ

Sorry, someone else keep score...I have to leave to go to my next remote!

No need to keep the score or continue watching. It'll be over at the end of the 5th.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm confused...

Where were all you play-by-players when Canada was winning against the US? ;)