Gas?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Question of the day: Is there gas available and any end in sight to the standoff between the gas cartel and the govt?

Bob K

lilmary11

Feb 10, 2006
By the by, we just returned and on our way thru Puerta Plata stopped for for gas I was ready for the high cost, but not ready for the price that was asked to not match the quantity pumped. Luckily we caught it and the attendant claimed to make a mistake. Has this happened to anyone else. Id like to think it was an honest mistake.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Common scam

If you look like a tourist (white and clueless) you can be assured that most enterprising attendents will try to cheat you. They have many methods and there is no downside, getting caught simply means they must charge you the correct amount or give you the correct amount of gas or change.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The simplest and most common scam is not resetting the pump after the previous customer. Make sure there isn't 50 or 100 pesos already on the meter. Each time they get away with this they pocket what amounts to 2-3 hours salary.

lilmary11

Feb 10, 2006
Guilty. I guess were a little clueless, and a lot white i was more concerned trying to do the quick math to find out how much we were paying in $/gallon.
We were also told to buy the more expensive gas by the rental car company. Is there any reason for this. it doesnt seem the rental co. would have anything to gain by lying

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Take A "CLUE" From The Dominicans When Buying Gasoline!

NEVER say "Fill it up!"
Always say, g\"Give me 500 pesos",or some exact amount! Have that amount ready to pay,AFTER you look at the meter to be sure it is correct! And 500,NOT 490.9,or some other "inventive" number.There is a station on "Camino Chiquito",entering Arroyo Hondo,they have almost all women pumping gas.They will ALWAYS try to cheat you in one way or another.ALWAYS count your change if you are dumb enought to not pay the exact amount you asked for!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc