Contract

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
For those of you that have been listening to me whine about needing to sell our house before the move to the DR, I wanted to let you know that we are now UNDER CONTRACT. It looks like we will be in the DR for good starting July 1. IF anyone has some leads on a villa/house/condo that we could rent in the Sosua -Cab area please let me know. We would like to keep costs (rent, water, electirc) to $1000 USD or less. We will need to rent for 8-10months while we build our home there.
Thanks

Bob K

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Bob -

Congratulations. I'd love to hear where and what you are building, as I will be building in Escondido Bay (between Sosua and Cabarete) at the same time as you.

I have a condo in Tropimar which is adjacent to Caribe Campo up the hill past Trade Winds. This month we are going through hell because we are in the process of hooking up each apartment separately to Edenorte and there are some management issues being resolved, but within a month or 2 the problems will be solved. It's a great place to live and within your budget. It's safe, clean, quiet and convenient. The apartments are spacious and the pools (you can you Caribe Campo's as well as ours) are huge.

I have nothing to gain from this, so check it out. - D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are interested in El Neptuno, I may be able line something up for you for your price since you will be staying 8 or 9 months. Apartments are large 2 bedroom, 2 bath, within easy walking distance of the town, in a quiet, upscale neighborood.

Send me a PM or email if you want me to go further.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Simon & Nicky said:
Hey Danny W

It sounds like Tropimar and maybe Caribe Campo are getting their electricity sorted out, that's good news - would you like to tell us a bit more?

I guess it's germain to this thread. Tropimar has been getting its power through Caribe Campo's connection with Edenorte. I'm not sure why, but Caribe Campo had a monetary problem with Edenorte so they got shut off and Tropimar was shut down along with them.

Caribe Campo is now re connected, and Tropimar's direct lines and meters to Edenorte are just about finished, so every Tropimar condo will have its own Edenorte connection within a few days (mas o menos).

In addition, the elictricity crisis has been a catalyst to the Tropimar and Caribe Campo owners to be more involved in the management of the complex, so other improvements are sure to follow as well. They really are great places to live. - D

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Caribe Campo and their electric problems

I just got back from a 6 week stay in the Dominican Republic. I stayed at Caribe Campo during that time. Two other couples stayed there as well. However, after the administration lied to us by saying the electric would be off from 1:00-6:00 PM and again late at night. The other two couples demanded to leave and left without paying! being that I was long term I was stuck in a pretty apartment which has no power and water. It turned out that the power was off almost all the time and if it was on there was no exact time to know when the electric would be on. So, trying to plan basic things such as showers or to use the toilet were out of the question. It was funny despite the seriousness that whenever the power went off the residents would go out to their terraces and yell to each other about how much this place sucked!

Power is off so is the water! $700.00 US a month for a 1 BR apartment without such things as electric and water is insane! The last day I was there I wanted to take a shower before I headed for the airport. The moron in the office told me to go back to my apartment because the "power was now on". I went back and of course he was lying and the power was off. While I was walking out, the moron was still trying to sell me a unit. I was amazed at just how bad this management is and how much worse they have become.

Look around before you rent/buy. Draw up a very good contract that stipulates such things as power/water etc. Make sure you can get out of the contract if they do not honor these items.

STAY AWAY FROM CARIBE CAMPO!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Hello Danny

Danny W said:
I guess it's germain to this thread. Tropimar has been getting its power through Caribe Campo's connection with Edenorte. I'm not sure why, but Caribe Campo had a monetary problem with Edenorte so they got shut off and Tropimar was shut down along with them.

Caribe Campo is now re connected, and Tropimar's direct lines and meters to Edenorte are just about finished, so every Tropimar condo will have its own Edenorte connection within a few days (mas o menos).

In addition, the elictricity crisis has been a catalyst to the Tropimar and Caribe Campo owners to be more involved in the management of the complex, so other improvements are sure to follow as well. They really are great places to live. - D

I believe this is the Danny I know from Caribe Campo. I agree that this place is a pretty place to live at and I wanted to live here as well. I made many friends with the residents that live here. Sadly though, they must get this power situation under control before I ever even think about returning there. Until then, I will not direct anyone there until I know for sure that the problems have been corrected. I wish you well with your unit, I know it is beautiful!

Keep on the management! Tell them to stop lying and simply tell the truth!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ok, I have refrained from posting here because the rollercoaster was making me sick. The contract fell through and we went back on the market. The good news is that we now have a new contract, and the house has passed inspection, so the contract is now binding and if they back out they lose their deposit. So we are packing. It has delayed our arrival until the beginning of August. We will be back down there the end of June to get the construction started and then August for good. "I love it when a plan comes together"
Soon to be a DR Expat.

Bob K