therapists looking for work

meghan

Mar 11, 2006
We are three addictions workers who have alot of experience in the field of Social Work. We are also registered to perform auricular acupuncture. We are currently employed at a hospital in Toronto, Canada and are looking to re-locate to Dominican Republic.
Any information anyone might have about employment for social workers, counsellors, therapists and addictions workers in Domincan Republic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Meghan

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
meghan said:
We are three addictions workers who have alot of experience in the field of Social Work. We are also registered to perform auricular acupuncture. We are currently employed at a hospital in Toronto, Canada and are looking to re-locate to Dominican Republic.
Any information anyone might have about employment for social workers, counsellors, therapists and addictions workers in Domincan Republic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Meghan
  1. Do you speak Spanish fluently?
  2. Can you live on about RD$ 10,000 per month (about US $300)?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Sometimes the naivety

around here is absolutely mind-numbing!

I work in the same field and am making plans (real plans, translation: saving and investing money to live on) to relocate. I never considered for one second I could make a living doing there what I do here. Even if you are fluent in Spanish and willing to live on a pittance, you would be competing for a precious few jobs. The Mental Health/Substance abuse system in the DR is almost non-exhistent.

By the way, for those who may have been momentarily impressed by certification in auricular accupuncture.... don't be. We're talking about sticking 5 or 6 needles in a person's earlobes and playing some new age music while they meditate for about an hour or so. 3 of my co-workers are certified. It involves a 3 day course and a half day refresher once a year.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Why don't people realize that acupuncture, "Toronto auricular" or any other form, is essentially cruel and immoral? For each and every puncture, there's an innocent Voodoo doll shouting in pain... .

G

gary short

drbill said:
Why don't people realize that acupuncture, "Toronto auricular" or any other form, is essentially cruel and immoral? For each and every puncture, there's an innocent Voodoo doll shouting in pain... .

Never mind that............they're putting dolls out of work and thats bad voodoo.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
unemployed voodoo dolls

washing windshields at very dark intersections...?:chinese:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Meghan, the chances that you and your colleagues will find jobs here are not good. Further, any job that there may be, would pay a pittance. Infrastructure for addictions work does not really exist. I know of only one place in Puerto Plata although there may be more. Somewhere on the board is a post that describes a health center in Santo Domingo that, to my memory, was going to offer certain alternative therapies. I cannot find it searching this morning, but perhaps you can spend some time searching, and see if you can find that. I would rate your chances very low.

meghan

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks for all your help

sweetdbt said:
around here is absolutely mind-numbing!

I work in the same field and am making plans (real plans, translation: saving and investing money to live on) to relocate. I never considered for one second I could make a living doing there what I do here. Even if you are fluent in Spanish and willing to live on a pittance, you would be competing for a precious few jobs. The Mental Health/Substance abuse system in the DR is almost non-exhistent.

By the way, for those who may have been momentarily impressed by certification in auricular accupuncture.... don't be. We're talking about sticking 5 or 6 needles in a person's earlobes and playing some new age music while they meditate for about an hour or so. 3 of my co-workers are certified. It involves a 3 day course and a half day refresher once a year.

Thanks for all your help. And as for my "REAL PLANS" I figured I would first get some information to see what types of employment are available to me and I have already saved and invested money to live on. As for the acupuncture I sort of figured that if I am inquiring about a certain position people may want to know what qualifications I do have. Perhaps I was wrong and hopefully you can enlighten us as to the process since you seem to know alot about"sticking needles in a persons earlobes". But it is nice to hear that people would be momentarily impressed by the application of 5 or 6 needles in a person's earlobes. Once again thanks for the help.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is an open board, and you have to take the rough with the smooth. Don't take other uneducated viewpoints about what you do, seriously. This board can be of much help to you, but as I said, you have to filter the responses that you receive here.

meghan

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks Chris,
You have a good point. Thats why I posted my orginal message...to get info, so anyone else out there with information please pass it on. Thanks