Reporting from Puerto Rico

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For personal reasons, I had to travel to Puerto Rico so am posting this from San Juan, after reading the local coverage on the World Baseball Classic. Of course, the first thing I did on Thursday when I got to Puerto Rico from the DR was visit the Hiram Bithorn stadium to purchase my tickets to the game. So will be sitting there watching DR play Puerto Rico. When we (my sister and I) bought the tickets, we thought it would be DR against Cuba, but Puerto Rico has surprised even the Puerto Ricans that scrambled to get tickets. Wont be posting what's happening because will be watching it live, but will give a complete report for the next day, or if have time, that same evening.

The second round of the World Baseball Classic is being called the True Caribbean Series. Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Cuba meet face to face starting Sunday for the second round of the World Baseball Classic. The mini-Caribbean Series brings the dream teams of these countries to San Juan, Puerto Rico. The difference with the Caribbean Series played in February in Caracas this year is that only a few Major League players reinforce their teams for the winter league Caribbean Series, but now with the full support of MLB, more have turned out for a chance to be known as the world’s best in baseball.

On Sunday, there are two games. The afternoon one is Venezuela vs. Cuba. DR follows against Puerto Rico at 9 pm.

Puerto Rico was not a favorite to win, but its showing so far in the series, puts the Puerto Rican team right up there as a contender to defeat, especially after the 12-2 defeat over Cuba. Puerto Rico showed it can pitch and can bat, winning Group C, in the same way the DR won Group D. Puerto Rico won its games: Panama 2-1, Netherlands 8-3 and Cuba 12-2. DR won its games Ven 11-5, Italy 8-3 and Australia 6-4.

Baseball commentator Ruben Rodriguez writing in Sunday’s El Nuevo Dia (the leading newspaper) says that the DR is the favorite to win the Classic – Miguel Tejada, Alberto Pujols, David Ortiz, Alfonso Soriano, Adrian Beltre power alignment. He shares some stats that show it will be a close battle, though.

DR batting average was .314 for the first round, with seven homeruns and 25 runs. But the Puerto Ricans batted for .302 with seven homeruns and 22 runs. DR batters are down with 32 hits compared to 29 of Puerto Rico. DR players stole two bases while Puerto Ricans stole four. But Puerto Rican pitching was far superior with 1.08 vs. 3.00 for DR.

El Nuevo Dia points out that while the DR has won 15 Caribbean Series, Puerto Rico is second with 14 wins.

For the Sunday, 12 March 9 pm game, the DR is sending 2005 Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon. Javier Vazquez will open for Puerto Rico. The max of pitches is 80, up from 65 in the first round.

Team manager Manny Acta told El Nuevo Dia that he is not surprised Puerto Rico made it to the second round. “They have a line up of Major League players that is comparable to ours or that of Venezuela,” he said. He added: “There is talk that they do not have depth in their pitching, but this is not a 162 game season. Here you have to win two of three games and with what Puerto Rico has, they can win any game,” said Acta, interviewed after a training session with his team. Acta says the DR’s toughest rivals are Puerto Rico and Venezuela.

Acta feels the one who wins the first game will have a more relaxed second round. “I mean if you win this game you don’t have the pressure of having to win your next two games whereas the loser is forced to win their next two games to ensure a spot in the semifinals,” he explained in an interview with the San Juan Star.

Acta confirms the strength of the Dominican team is in its batting. “From one through six we have guys that can hit more than 30 home runs and bat for more than .300 average in the big leagues every season and that’s a very tough task against any pitcher,” he told The San Juan Star. Acta will have Alfonso Soriano first, followed by Miguel Tejada Albert Pujols David Ortiz, Moises Alou, Adrian Beltre Juan Encarnacion, Alberto Castillo and Willy Taveras.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Wonderful report, Dolores. I am looking so forward to tonight's game. And you, I can't imagine how excited you are for the game. Congrats on getting tickets, and good luck. Have fun, I'd love to hear your comments (especially crowd feeling - how badly are the PR's abusing the DR's team from the stands) after the game.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
So was there... unfortunately, DR team didn't have their magic with them that night. Did enjoy going to the stadium. Well organized, lots of handouts for all, great fans. Great weather. Enthusiasm similar to Dominicans in Santo Domingo... the Latin style of baseball.

PR's pitching was better last night, making all the difference. This is a sprint of a series. But it's not over.