housekeeper info please

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
after recently purchasing a place in caberrete. my partner and i are looking for a housekeeper...
her duties would entail...cleaning, keeping the place clean, cooking, waiting on guests, the usual stuff, and keeping an eye on the place when we are gone
i perfer not to have alive in ,just a daily women..

my question is about price. we are thinking of about 9 hours a day..say 8 to 5 or 9 to 6...

what is the normal criteria for hiring. the rules i should use, regarding, visitors, days off, food...etc. and what is a fair wage for a good housekeeper, thanks

Quinny

Oct 29, 2005
For full-time help, the typical wage is around 5000 pesos per month. We pay 350 pesos a day, which works out to be more but she's only part time. Also it is typical to pay one months salary in early december as a yearly bonus. Our housekeeper is free to eat whatever she wants, often times, she will just fix herself lunch. We also allow her to bring one of her kids while she's working. There are many housekeepers out there that are not very skilled (or motivated) so whomever you consider you should hire them for just a couple of days to test it out before bringing them on full-time.

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
thanks quinny...yes the per deim seems to come quite abit higher...

i think she is asking about 5500 to 6000rd per month...ok i think...

what kind of hours does your girl work and do you give her any days off

as we are single guys, wink wink, having a child around would not be to good...however, i think she wanted to have her child there 1 day a week which isn't to bad...

i hope she can cook more than arroz con pollo

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Normal Rate in the DR is 3000m Pesos a month!

I pay 3.500 because my wife is a Dominican,and wants to act like she is "Rich" and not appear "Cheap"!
My neighbor is a General in the Policia National and they pay 2,500 a month!
We live in Arroyo Hondo Santo Dominigo.Most "Gringos" pay too much,usually double the going rate!
You most likely will too!:ermm:
cccccccccc

Quinny

Oct 29, 2005
I think that legal document tells you the number of hours per day and per week as well as vacation time. With us - we share her with a neighbor so we don't really follow these guidelines fully. For us, if she gets all of her work done early, we send her home at like 3pm and also quite flexible if she needs to come late. I find that the more we are a flexible, the more loyal and the harder she works for us. It really is difficult to find someone that is honest, hard working and works in your best interest. If you are lucky enough to find that person - treat her well and you will have a fruitful working relationship going forward. Good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If Only THAT Were True!!

Unfortunately,Dominicans don't think like THAT! The Better you treat them,the more they abuse you! Let them go home early to get ready for a "Fiesta",they want to go home early everyday! If their "hours" are 8 to 5,there must be something for them to do! "Shareing" a maid is the absolute worst thing you can do! You are both being "screwed"!Pay them "Too Much",they think you are stupid,and that they are worth even more!
You do no one a favor,by overpaying,or treating a maid,gardener,nani,or any domiestic,like "Family"! They are just like children,set limits,uphold them,everyone knows their role!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I learned what CC says the hard way. When I moved here I moved into an apartment with a friend who has had the same maid for 3 years. She always would try to do the least amount of work possible and always had a sourpuss on. Me, thinking like an American figured, "hey, why dont we give her a small raise. I'll bet she would appreciate it and change her attitude". Well, we did and that was the WORST thing we could have done. Now she does even less.

Also, a building I go to everyday has a watchyman who sits at a desk. I would say "good morning" to him while everyone else just walked by him. I figured, "how hard is it to say good morning"? Well, one day, I had my hands full of things and had to fumble for my keys to get in. Instead of getting up to open the door for me, he sat there at the desk and watched me struggle for my keys. I had lowered myself to his level by being friendly to him so I was not important in his eyes and he did not have to jump up to help me. Again, I learned my lesson. Now, I walk by him and say nothing.

"Lower level" Dominicans such as domestic help, etc. dont appreciate you being nice to them. They take it as weakness. Forget generosity, it will get you nowhere. You just have to find your spot on the socio-economic totem pole and recognize who is below you and treat them accordingly. It's a shame but that's the way it is.

Larry
Criss Colon said:
Unfortunately,Dominicans don't think like THAT! The Better you treat them,the more they abuse you! Let them go home early to get ready for a "Fiesta",they want to go home early everyday! If their "hours" are 8 to 5,there must be something for them to do! "Shareing" a maid is the absolute worst thing you can do! You are both being "screwed"!Pay them "Too Much",they think you are stupid,and that they are worth even more!
You do no one a favor,by overpaying,or treating a maid,gardener,nani,or any domiestic,like "Family"! They are just like children,set limits,uphold them,everyone knows their role!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Let's not jump to conclusions...

Larry, all your rant shows is that you have no character or authority. Your maid and watchman, or any other employee for that matter, are not expected to respond to social nicieties. They should be told clearly/strongly what is/not is expected of them in their job. You should have commanded the 'watchyman' to stand up and help you. The same goes for the maid... Sourpuss? maybe she didn't get the message that she should also amuse you...

Lazyness and lack of generosity cut across all socio-economic nitches, race, class or whatever...

-

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Mirador, I dont believe I was ranting. I was merely relaying a few experiences.

The classism that permeates Dominican culture is much stronger than it is in the United States. That is evidenced by your response to my post. You say I should have "commanded" the watchyman to get up and open the door. I dont "command" anyone to do anything. That is not my nature. And if that shows I have no "character or authority" as you say, well, I don't need to have any authority...and autoirity is not a measure of a mans character. Carrying yourself with pride and dignity and treating everyone, no matter who they are, with respect is a measure of strong character in my book. But then again, that is another example of how our cultures differ.

And as far as the maid having a sourpuss as I stated, I do not want her to smile to amuse me, I want her to smile because I want her to be happy. A happy employee is a productive employee. That was the purpose behind the raise we gave her. However, the raise had the opposite effect and I see now, how it wasn't recieved like an American employee would most likely have recieved it. Again, another example of how our cultures differ.

Good day Mirador.

Larry

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
American "maid" vs Dominican "maid"

In my experience, I had a lady working for me for over 10 years. She cleaned my house once a week. Got extra jobs cleaning the old/new places when we moved, and etc. I hate to say it, but she started to slow down and instead of taking longer, would skip things whenever I wasn't watching. I thought if I gave her additional money to stay longer, so she could finish everything, she would. But no, she didn't. I guess those things have to be agreed upon.
Our Dominican maid, way back when, well she was extremely capable and helpful, and grateful.
I can only give examples of contrary behavior, but these are probably extremes, and not really examples of everybody's behavior.
mkohn

beachfront

Mar 8, 2006
man this has been an eye opener on many levels and explains some problems we had with someone we hired for security. we didn't argue his fee and treated him like a person. we got screwed and he turned out to be the guy HE, warned us about.

so i have to revisit the wages , i think now they may be to generous. also if i understand . to treat the help here firmly but fairly....fairly meaning what makes me happy and is consistent with local custom.

i am constanly surprised that american thinking regarding treatment of others does not work here. although, it does considering the cost difference seem more expediant