FILE UNDER BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID: Homologation of Dominican driver's licenses

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
One of the Listin's columnists recounted a recent trip to Spain. Several ex-pats asked him to pass along serious issues that Leonel should address on their behalf.

The expats want their Dominican licenses to be recognized as valid in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. The licenses of many many other countries are so recognized. The reasons cited for the request are understandable. With driving priviliges, the expat Dominicans would have access to jobs such as trucking, construction, or as taxistas that are now closed to them. I have to ask myself what, other than lack of money, prevents them getting local licenses. The answer of course is lack of driving knowledge, and in some cases, inability to read the Spanish language exams. I am disappointed to admit that I can't honestly support homologizing (recognizing) Dominican driver's licenses in Europe.

This made me think of the three horrific accidents I saw on the way to work this morning. I travel about 7 miles. The rain was likely a contributing factor but it doesn't begin to explain how the number one cause of death in a country with relatively few motor vehicles and few roads that permit highway speeds could be traffic accidents. But, it is the sad truth.

Another issue is the phenomenon of expatriate Dominican adolescents who routinely must be placed with children up to two years younger than themselves in Spanish schools because of the woeful state of the Dominican educational system. Upon arrival, the Dominican children are utterly unprepared to function at their age level within the European school systems. The number one are of deficiency was identified as "grammar." That translates to American English as: basic skills, or "the three Rs"

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
arturo said:
I have to ask myself what, other than lack of money, prevents them getting local licenses. The answer of course is lack of driving knowledge, and in some cases, inability to read the Spanish language exams. "
I would think it is the same reason many expats can't get Dominican Driver's Licenses, the failure to obtain legal Residencia.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I agree with the OP. It's pretty sad how DR drivers generally have no idea how to drive whether they can read or not, and most of the licenses were purchased for around 300 pesos. The test is rigged so if you don't pay you can't pass, and if you pay you don't have to pass.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
in some cases you are right but this request comes from legal residents

HOWMAR said:
I would think it is the same reason many expats can't get Dominican Driver's Licenses, the failure to obtain legal Residencia.

That's true in a minority of cases in Spain The Spanish immigration policy is much more liberal toward Dominicans than that of say, the Unites States.

The request came from a distinguished group of long time legal residents. There has been active recruitment of Dominican laborers for the past few years in Spain.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I have been to some of the most traffic clogged countries in the world, and none has astonished me as much as here -- practically every day! In the area where my family has a country house, the autopista Duarte has a sharpcurve, but not too sharp really, ,and I cannot count the number of times some car has crashed because the driver was going too fast, was drunk, was not paying attention, and was not a well trained driver. Some of the accidents were so serious that the impact of the car sounded like a huge explosion that could be heard all over the neighborhood.

Ironically so many of the highways and byways are very scenic and a pleasure to drive on, but you really have to keep sharp. Much of this could be avoided if the licensing process were revamped and properly verified. A shame really, because the traffic deaths are terribly high, and many innocent people get killed in the process.