mainegirl makes her move

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ok guys, bear with me!

My partner and I are planning on spending a school year in the DR. We do not plan on working for any entity in the DR but will be living off investments here in the US and doing a lot of online work.

Here are some of my questions:

In order to run our businesses while in the US we need reliable WiFi. We will be living across from Playa Dorada to start with and I was wondering if it is available there.

My stepkids will be attending school. However, they need a small, quiet situation. Both of the kids are quick learners but they do need a quiet environment to learn. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. We have the choice to enroll them in a private Christian school in POP but I would rather see what is out there than assume that is what we will do. And yes, we want them in Dominican school.

We are looking for a rental for approximately ten months. Again, WiFi is a must. We will need a managed property--we are not looking at living in the williwags and we need someplace secure. Personally I would like to live in the Colonial Zone because I like it.

Our plan is to do this in school year 2007-2008. That is right, a year and a half away. We are able to come and see potential rentals.

Obviously we are looking for something furnished.

Our goal for the year is for the kids to learn a lot of Spanish and learn about the DR and the culture. I plan on bringing some materials for stuff they need for the Maine Learning Results but I am not worried about their education at school, as long as they learn Spanish. We want them to attend high school here in Maine but a year in JH in the DR should be a very educational experience.

If anyone would like to add their "advices" please chime in.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all, this is a great piece of news.
I'm confused about this bit though. I thought you were talking north coast?

MaineGirl said:
Personally I would like to live in the Colonial Zone because I like it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I get a little confused, Mainegirl.
First you write you will live across Playa Dorada to start with, and then you prefer the Colonial Zone?

I doubt rentals that much time ahead is possible, unless you go for the condos that are offered for tourists, to tourist prices.
House, apartment? Where?

There is alots of info in the school thread that is sticky.
This also depends on the ages of the kids, and in what city you plan on being.
All schools are private here, in the sense that you pay for it.
Majority are Catholic, and several are Christan. Non-religious only San Jose in POP. Large, but very popular.
The public schools ( of 3 hrs ) a day would not be a choice, and the kids would not be accepted either as they are not citizens.

Cool that you?re coming!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I mean, I like the old part of Puerto Plata. I don't know why I said the COlonial Zone.

And we have a sort of housing deal--behind Cafecito. Which is why I said across from PLaya Dorada. But I don't want to rely on that deal--I want our own place in town.I have learned that I like to do my own thing and for that reason do not plan on relying on my friends for housing because I do not want any strings attached.

Kids will be 12 and 13. We need at least 3 bedrooms and an apartment is fine. Less maintenance the better for us although I will want a lot of plants on my balcony.

Last edited: