Monday's later games: VEN/PUR y USA/KOREA

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I like that we have a PCT game tonight (10pm for you LEast Coasters).

In Puerto Rico tonight: Venezuela takes on Puerto Rico.

Joel Pineiro is the scheduled starter for Puerto Rico against Venezuela's Carlos Zambrano in a game scheduled to start just after 8 p.m. ET. A sellout crowd of 19,692 jammed into the ballpark for Sunday's somewhat stunning, 7-1 win over a potent Dominican club picked by some experts to win the inaugural Classic. Full Story.

In Anaheim: The US and its Umpiring Crew plays Korea.
Dontrelle Willis takes the mound in search of a better performance than his first outing against the lucky Canucky's. Full Story.

Korea will start Min-Han Son, the same pitcher it sent to the hill against Group A weak link China. Kim, as per norm, was tight-lipped about his pitching strategy for Team USA, but he is expected to follow the same formula he did in Tokyo, which is to save his strongest arms for the games it has the best chance to win. Full Story

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005

icon10.gif
"The US and its Umpiring Crew"
icon10.gif

........​

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
Korea is the only undefeated team!!! :D :bunny:

Until the umpires get through with them...:cool:
Only undefeated in their pool, however, Puerto Rico is also undefeated. I'm hoping Venezuela takes them down tonight. Cool their momentum, and give DR a better chance of advancing through the pool.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Nothing umpires despise more than undefeated Koreans

Potato_Salad said:
Korea is the only undefeated team!!! :D :bunny:
What are the odds that Dontrelle Willis throws a 2-bounce strike tonight?

Every Korean batter may as well figure it's 0-2 as soon as the national anthem is over.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
To be fair - hopefully

aegap[IMG said:
"The US and its Umpiring Crew"
icon10.gif
I'm not about to defend the call against the Japanese the other night, but it was a very close call.

Clearly the wrong call was made, but to the naked eye, I'm sure it was very very difficult.

Nonetheless, when in doubt, there is no rational explanation for calling the runner out in such a critical situation. In a tournament like this (pool play) one win (vs. a loss) is huge.

I think it stinks big time. Especially after one manager (Buck Martinez - USA) comes out to argue the play. I'd like to think there is no funny business going on, but..... it just stinks. If the call was made and they stuck with it, so be it, but to have the mgr. come out, then they get the call WRONG just sucked.

A huge black eye to the entire tournament.

I can only imagine the outcry if this game was in Tokyo and the tables were turned. George W' would make it an international incident. He'd have the umpires in the Hague prison by sundown.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
Until the umpires get through with them...:cool:
Only undefeated in their pool, however, Puerto Rico is also undefeated. I'm hoping Venezuela takes them down tonight. Cool their momentum, and give DR a better chance of advancing through the pool.

Oh, I forgot that PR was also undefeated.

So in order for the DR to have a better chance to advance to the next round, Venezuela needs to beat PR. It should be a very fun game!!! :classic:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
What are the odds that Dontrelle Willis throws a 2-bounce strike tonight?

Every Korean batter may as well figure it's 0-2 as soon as the national anthem is over.

I actually do not like the Koreans' chances tonight. lol :cheeky:

I just hope that we do not get crushed like South Africa did against the U.S.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
Oh, I forgot that PR was also undefeated.

So in order for the DR to have a better chance to advance to the next round, Venezuela needs to beat PR. It should be a very fun game!!! :classic:

Not necessarily. In a tournament like this, you have to win every game. It's a whole new round, now, PS. Previous wins don't count (correct?) from the last round. I am saying that if PR loses, it might cool them down a bit. Since they've shown what they can do to the DR, you don't want PR in a tie for first place with the DR by continuing to win all their games. If there is a situation where at the end of the round, PR is undefeated and DR loses one game (obviously to the PR in this case), and there is a 3-way tie for second place, it goes by runs to see who the other team to advance will be. So I'd rather the PR take an early loss to Venezuela and have this scenario taken away from them. If the DR goes into their game against PR undefeated, even if PR wins against the DR again, the DR's chances of advancing are still good.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
Not necessarily. In a tournament like this, you have to win every game. It's a whole new round, now, PS. Previous wins don't count (correct?) from the last round. I am saying that if PR loses, it might cool them down a bit. Since they've shown what they can do to the DR, you don't want PR in a tie for first place with the DR by continuing to win all their games. If there is a situation where at the end of the round, PR is undefeated and DR loses one game (obviously to the PR in this case), and there is a 3-way tie for second place, it goes by runs to see who the other team to advance will be. So I'd rather the PR take an early loss to Venezuela and have this scenario taken away from them. If the DR goes into their game against PR undefeated, even if PR wins against the DR again, the DR's chances of advancing are still good.

Now I understand your point. Sorry for misunderstanding you. :classic:

All four teams in that group (Cuba, DR, PR, Venezuela) are all very good teams.

Korea just got out of a bases loaded jam in the first inning.

Korea 0, USA 0

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
A HOME RUN BY Seung Yeop Lee!!! :chinese: :bunny: :D

OOOPS THERE IT IS!~~ OOPS THERE IT IS!~~ :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Korea 1, USA 0

Runners now on first and third. The Power of Korea!!! Coreano!!! Kim Chee!!! Tofu!!! Cabbage!!! Fried Pork Dumpling with Soy Sauce!!!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Korea 3, USA 1!!! :D :cool: :chinese: :bunny:

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 2 outs!!!

Coreano!!! Who wants some of my Korean-style Barbeque with onions and sliced potatoes? :D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
At this point Korea is the only team not to have lost a game in the tourney.

I hope that changes by the end of the evening!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
rellosk said:
At this point Korea is the only team not to have lost a game in the tourney.

I hope that changes by the end of the evening!

A very impressive win by Venezuela over PR.

USA is still a very dominate team with an awesome hitting line-up. So this game is far from over.

I will now continue my praying. :D

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hee Sup Choi with a 3-run shot!!!!!!!!!!!! OOPS THERE IT IS!!! OOOPS THERE IT IS!!! :D :bunny: :chinese:

Korea 6, USA 1

rc8umw.jpg

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Top of the 6th inning

Korea 6
USA 1

If Korea wins, Korean-style barbeque is on me!!! :D :bunny: :chinese:

rc96oj.jpg

Last edited: