Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Monday's later games: VEN/PUR y USA/KOREA

    I like that we have a PCT game tonight (10pm for you LEast Coasters).

    In Puerto Rico tonight: Venezuela takes on Puerto Rico.

    Joel Pineiro is the scheduled starter for Puerto Rico against Venezuela's Carlos Zambrano in a game scheduled to start just after 8 p.m. ET. A sellout crowd of 19,692 jammed into the ballpark for Sunday's somewhat stunning, 7-1 win over a potent Dominican club picked by some experts to win the inaugural Classic. Full Story.

    In Anaheim: The US and its Umpiring Crew plays Korea.
    Dontrelle Willis takes the mound in search of a better performance than his first outing against the lucky Canucky's. Full Story.

    Korea will start Min-Han Son, the same pitcher it sent to the hill against Group A weak link China. Kim, as per norm, was tight-lipped about his pitching strategy for Team USA, but he is expected to follow the same formula he did in Tokyo, which is to save his strongest arms for the games it has the best chance to win. Full Story

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    .........


    "The US and its Umpiring Crew"

    ........

  3. #3
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Korea is the only undefeated team!!!

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Salad
    Korea is the only undefeated team!!!
    Until the umpires get through with them...
    Only undefeated in their pool, however, Puerto Rico is also undefeated. I'm hoping Venezuela takes them down tonight. Cool their momentum, and give DR a better chance of advancing through the pool.

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking Nothing umpires despise more than undefeated Koreans

    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Salad
    Korea is the only undefeated team!!!
    What are the odds that Dontrelle Willis throws a 2-bounce strike tonight?

    Every Korean batter may as well figure it's 0-2 as soon as the national anthem is over.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking To be fair - hopefully

    Quote Originally Posted by aegap[IMG
    "The US and its Umpiring Crew"
    I'm not about to defend the call against the Japanese the other night, but it was a very close call.

    Clearly the wrong call was made, but to the naked eye, I'm sure it was very very difficult.

    Nonetheless, when in doubt, there is no rational explanation for calling the runner out in such a critical situation. In a tournament like this (pool play) one win (vs. a loss) is huge.

    I think it stinks big time. Especially after one manager (Buck Martinez - USA) comes out to argue the play. I'd like to think there is no funny business going on, but..... it just stinks. If the call was made and they stuck with it, so be it, but to have the mgr. come out, then they get the call WRONG just sucked.

    A huge black eye to the entire tournament.

    I can only imagine the outcry if this game was in Tokyo and the tables were turned. George W' would make it an international incident. He'd have the umpires in the Hague prison by sundown.
    Last edited by Cleef; 03-13-2006 at 08:42 PM.

  7. #7
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trina
    Until the umpires get through with them...
    Only undefeated in their pool, however, Puerto Rico is also undefeated. I'm hoping Venezuela takes them down tonight. Cool their momentum, and give DR a better chance of advancing through the pool.

    Oh, I forgot that PR was also undefeated.

    So in order for the DR to have a better chance to advance to the next round, Venezuela needs to beat PR. It should be a very fun game!!!

  8. #8
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleef
    What are the odds that Dontrelle Willis throws a 2-bounce strike tonight?

    Every Korean batter may as well figure it's 0-2 as soon as the national anthem is over.
    I actually do not like the Koreans' chances tonight. lol

    I just hope that we do not get crushed like South Africa did against the U.S.

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Salad
    Oh, I forgot that PR was also undefeated.

    So in order for the DR to have a better chance to advance to the next round, Venezuela needs to beat PR. It should be a very fun game!!!
    Not necessarily. In a tournament like this, you have to win every game. It's a whole new round, now, PS. Previous wins don't count (correct?) from the last round. I am saying that if PR loses, it might cool them down a bit. Since they've shown what they can do to the DR, you don't want PR in a tie for first place with the DR by continuing to win all their games. If there is a situation where at the end of the round, PR is undefeated and DR loses one game (obviously to the PR in this case), and there is a 3-way tie for second place, it goes by runs to see who the other team to advance will be. So I'd rather the PR take an early loss to Venezuela and have this scenario taken away from them. If the DR goes into their game against PR undefeated, even if PR wins against the DR again, the DR's chances of advancing are still good.

  10. #10
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trina
    Not necessarily. In a tournament like this, you have to win every game. It's a whole new round, now, PS. Previous wins don't count (correct?) from the last round. I am saying that if PR loses, it might cool them down a bit. Since they've shown what they can do to the DR, you don't want PR in a tie for first place with the DR by continuing to win all their games. If there is a situation where at the end of the round, PR is undefeated and DR loses one game (obviously to the PR in this case), and there is a 3-way tie for second place, it goes by runs to see who the other team to advance will be. So I'd rather the PR take an early loss to Venezuela and have this scenario taken away from them. If the DR goes into their game against PR undefeated, even if PR wins against the DR again, the DR's chances of advancing are still good.
    Now I understand your point. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

    All four teams in that group (Cuba, DR, PR, Venezuela) are all very good teams.

    Korea just got out of a bases loaded jam in the first inning.

    Korea 0, USA 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •