Cricket league in the Dominican Republic

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
UK ambassador Andy Ashcroft announced last night at a Commonwealth Day event held at the British Embassy that the newly formed Dominican Cricket Association is seeking new members. Ashcroft is the first chairman of the association. The first members are mainly medicine students or doctors living in the DR from Commonwealth countries (India, Pakistan, UK, and others). Dr. Shakil Khan is the president of the group that has the task of introducing the game to Dominicans. Those interested, should contact the association by writing to dominicancricket@yahoo.com or by tel, 809 362-0606. The association has been holding practice games at the UASD grounds. The plan is to create the first Dominican nationals cricket team. There are plans to get a league going in each province and have a team practicing at each university.

Don't know anything about cricket, but was told that baseball is a variation created from cricket.

Turns out that cricket was first played in the DR in the early 80s, when primarily medicine students from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Kenya, the US and Canada began playing the game and some Dominicans joined. Now they want to relaunch the sport, especially with all the interest generated by the World Cup that will be played in the Caribbean come 2007.

Several island nations in the West Indies are preparing to host games for the 2007 Cricket World Cup from 11 March 11 to 28 April 2007.

Last edited:

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I don?t know nothing about it, but have a friend from Oz that talked to me about it, they play criket there, will be nice to watch some game.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Without about a 100,000 Pakistani, Indian or Australian fans shouting and supporting present to provide some atmosphere it's an extremely boring game to watch. If they arrange those too I'd be happy to watch a game in Santo Domingo.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i agree. its a boring game. what do these people enjoy that I seem to miss out?
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Test matches are boring, but 1 day, limited over and night time cricket can be fun.

I find baseball extremely boring, I guess that's what happens when your not spoon feed it from birth.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
I'm an American (female) who was introduced to cricket through some West Indian friends of mine about ten years ago. By the third game I was keeping score for the team. I love the game, and don't find it boring at all. When compared to cricket I find baseball more boring and that is my "national pasttime". Once you understand the intricacies of the game you will really enjoy it. Unless you get to know the scoring and nuances of each play I am sure it just looks like two men running back and forth between sticks in the ground, but there is a lot more to it than that, and a lot more to it than baseball!!!

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
I don't know. Baseball you've got a strike or a ball when the batter misses or the ball misses the batter. In cricket you've got wides, byes, leg byes, no balls. For outs you don't just have strike out, caught, or run out, but you have caught, run out, LBW (leg before wicket), stumped. There are no gloves or pads except for the batsmen and the wicket keeper and the field is all around the players instead of eliminating the area behind the batter. I think this offers a lot more possibilities than baseball. Also, no such thing as a foul ball. The ball is always in play unless it gets over the boundary. I assure you, there's really much more to it, especially when you're trying to keep score!!

knowledge

Aug 2, 2005
Cricket is a gentlemans game, there's the main difference.

Is anyone on the north coast interested...I have a bat and a windball or 2!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
What is the name of the Dominican veriations of cricket created by the Cocolos?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
That thread brough certain fond, melancholic, memories back-

-Thank You Chiri for that.

Last edited:

AAAAANOLD

Mar 16, 2006
Sport Of Cricket

HI
IT WAS I WHO ENCOURAGED DR SHAKIL KHAN TO INITIATE CRICKET IN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND I WONDER WHETHER YOU COULD SEND ME THE NAME/EMAIL OF ANY DOMINICAN TEACHER WHO COULD BE PERSUADED TO LEARN THE SPORT AND POPULARISE IT AMONG HIS/HER STUDENTS.
MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS - mahendra2005@gmail.com
KIND REGARDS
MAHENDRA