Spanish ambassador catches hell, was it fair?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
No one, not even Troncoso had the nerve to deny the truths she told. As usual, the professional apologists on of the editorial pages chimed in with righteous indignation: "just when the current administration is fighting corruption, the Spanish ambassador uses bad form to point out how it discourages foreign investment." My favorite was from the Burbujas column: "the government should likewise scold "other ambassadors (reference to Hertell in my opinion) who speak openly about matters only Dominicans should address."

Consider the egregious logic gap - - only Dominicans should talk openly about obstacles to FOREIGN investment. Of course, it isn't about logic, it's about the overriding Dominican cultural tic (I like to call it cabana culture) of sweeping issues under the rug, splashing them with Mistolin, whispering in the dark about them, but never, never accepting responsibility and sacrificing to achieve progress. We all have to pay the piper eventually, you can only put it off for so long by blaming outsiders, beginning with Haiti, and following up with the US, Europe and all others.

Why isn't there mention of foreign interference when it comes to financial aid? I'm not being completely fair. There has been progress, at least the pundits and government functionaries have begun admitting and discussing corruption in recent years.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to one of my sources, Spanish Ambassador Almudena Mazarrasa went to the press, in righteous indignation, after officials from the Spanish company Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) informed her that an undisclosed government official had asked the company for a hefty commission if they wanted the awarding of the contract for the 17 trains (53 wagons) for the Metro?s 1st line. The contract was finally awarded to the French firm Alstom.

-

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Mirador's take on this. Nobody argued with the former ambassador when she lambasted the government...
I just heard how two of the ministers got a huge payoff so that a company could buy fuel direct from the refinery!! Only RD$1.3 million....carried to the office of the minister is a black plastic bag!!!:p:p:p

HB :D:D