buying a bar

mamac

Dec 18, 2005
Hi, I am an english guy living in the puerto plata area and am interested in buying a bar. Just wondered if anyone knew of any for sale.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
In the Dominican Republic everything is for sale. Just tell a little more on what your looking for.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
10,000 bars (all for sale). You can probably make up to 100 pesos a week. Do you ever see anybody at the bars around Sosua, Cabarete,etc? That is why they are all for sale.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
jerryme said:
10,000 bars (all for sale). You can probably make up to 100 pesos a week. Do you ever see anybody at the bars around Sosua, Cabarete,etc? That is why they are all for sale.
You abviously don't know what you're talking about. I agree that there are to many bars (Hope the Sec. of tourism will clamp down on those not paying taxes, catering to hookers, that don't qualify for a permit etc.) but there are still a few out there making $$$. Take your time and look around and make your own decsion.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any bar that serves Thai Curry while watching The Yankees on TV are ok in my book!

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
jerryme said:

So around $3 USD per week?!? :bunny:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
On second thought

Potato_Salad said:
So around $3 USD per week?!? :bunny:
(100 pesos a week) 5200 pesos a year for 21 years compounded every 3 months at an average rate of 35% is over 20M pesos. I should be a millionnaire. Where did my money go?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
It's a Hobby NOT an Investment...

I don't think you run a bar in Sosua (or Boca Chica) to make money. Most would be thrilled to just break even every month!!

-Helpmann :cool:

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Have owned a bar

I have actually owned a bar with a Belgium partner, it was located in Luperon. The guys on the board know what they're talking about. It's hard to make a living off a couple of peso profit per beer and you have to price according to the market. We would break even most times but not always. We made it for about seven months then decided to move on. The good thing was that initial investment was low (by American standards), around 1,000 US each, and I'm convinced that the good times we had there was directly proportionate to the amount invested.

SL

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
more info please ...

slas7713 could you provide a little more info on your experience. I'm thinking of a small beer & rum joint in the campo, nothing fancy. Some music for the locals to gather and dance thursday-sunday. Music would be a sound system, nothing live. I hear that you could get your beer on credit with a "codigo" from presidente, but I would rather do it COD as we do it here in PR. Would the neveras be supplied by the distributor? Power being tantamount to the project, I'd have to get a generator, how much would that cost? Lease or buy the locale ?? Is the profit margin really under 5 pesos per beer?

Thaks for any insight into this, E.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gardito said:
slas7713 could you provide a little more info on your experience. I'm thinking of a small beer & rum joint in the campo, nothing fancy. Some music for the locals to gather and dance thursday-sunday. Music would be a sound system, nothing live. I hear that you could get your beer on credit with a "codigo" from presidente, but I would rather do it COD as we do it here in PR. Would the neveras be supplied by the distributor? Power being tantamount to the project, I'd have to get a generator, how much would that cost? Lease or buy the locale ?? Is the profit margin really under 5 pesos per beer?

Thaks for any insight into this, E.
You would never make any money.
You would have to blast the music super loud to satisfy your clientel, and drive yourself crazy, then go deaf.
You would have to guard the place when it wasn't open, adding to your operating costs.
Operating your generator would gauge your already low profit margin.
You would get robbed by thieves, and your employees, then when you tried to do something about it, they would threaten you enough to make you want to just walk away and lose any & all of your investment.

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
You would never make any money.
You would have to blast the music super loud to satisfy your clientel, and drive yourself crazy, then go deaf.
You would have to guard the place when it wasn't open, adding to your operating costs.
Operating your generator would gauge your already low profit margin.
You would get robbed by thieves, and your employees, then when you tried to do something about it, they would threaten you enough to make you want to just walk away and lose any & all of your investment.
...and on bad days things would really look ugly!:cheeky:

in order to succeed in the campo you'd have to be accepted..and you'd still almost certainly starve.

i'd listen to the voice(s) of experience here (not claiming to be one of them)...but that's just me:bunny:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
apostropheman said:
in order to succeed in the campo you'd have to be accepted..and you'd still almost certainly starve.
That's actually the biggest factor. You would have to be perceived as part of the local community, to have a fighting chance.

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
That's actually the biggest factor. You would have to be perceived as part of the local community, to have a fighting chance.

and unless you are dominican or atleast a very longterm expat with family in that campo it'll never happen.:bunny::bunny::bunny:

:bunny:i really like these little bunny things:bunny::cheeky:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
apostropheman said:
and unless you are dominican or atleast a very longterm expat with family in that campo it'll never happen.
And that's just the first obstacle.
Frankly, it's a million to 1 shot, to succeed, if you're an outsider.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Hmmmmmm !?!? Family ... That's the ticket! They would already be part of that little town in the campo ... Perhaps born and raised there ?? Maybe the whole town would know who they are, and by "falling in" with them I'd have the inside track ... Hey, don't mind me. Just thinking out loud here.

BTW, Rocky, don't be so negative. You've been at it for some time and I dont see a "closed" sign in your window.

Apostropheman, here are your :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

LOL, E.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gardito said:
BTW, Rocky, don't be so negative. You've been at it for some time and I dont see a "closed" sign in your window.
But... were not in the campo.
We deal with gringos.
We have a good security perimeter.
I had already lived here for 8 years, before opening the bar.
We also have a hotel, which is the bread & butter.
We also have a restaurant.
The margin, although low, is still higher than at a campo bar.
In fact, I'm not negative about opening or owning a bar in this country.
Rocky's is a dream come true for me.
I was simply trying to give you good advice, so as to prevent you from losing your shirt.
It's bad enough losing your money, but when you put all your heart & energy into it, and it flops, it's a hard lick to take.
We, as a group here, frequently assist people in various ways, who are "starting out", and sometimes, part of that help, is guiding them away from bad investments.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. It was just an inquiry anyway. The only way I believe I could ever establish myself there is after retirement ($$$$). Owning any kind of business would be sort of like a hobby, just something to do, and not be my main income.

The inquiry was regarding also what kind of permits would be required, as that type of business is heavily regulated here (PR)>

E.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gardito said:
Owning any kind of business would be sort of like a hobby, just something to do, and not be my main income.
Everybody's dream....

gardito said:
The inquiry was regarding also what kind of permits would be required, as that type of business is heavily regulated here (PR)>
Nowhere near as regulated.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Issues

We purchased all of our beer and liquor locally from those who offered us the best deal and we got most of it at their cost. Of course these relationships take time and are built on mutual assistance. This was easier than trying to coordinate the big Presidente trucks with our little bar. We were outside the city and in the campo. We catered to Dominicans but usually had a few gringos around. The power issue was always a problem and there were many nights when we had to run our generator and eat up the little profit we made in gas. We leased the location and our initial investment inlcluded all that beautiful plastic furniture along with the speakers. We bought everything else and sold it when we closed up. We had anywhere from four to five girls working at any given time. We paid them 500 peso's a week and rented a house for them to all live in and bought them food, they cooked, we ate. This was a good deal by dominican standard. We didn't pimp the girls out but if they did want to leave they did pay a salida, I believe it was 200 pesos at the time. In the DR if you want to bring in customers you have to have some girls around, even if they can't have them it still brings them in. The profit marging is very very slim. There were many places making only five peso per beer profit margin. The margin is better on the servicios with rum and coke.

Steve