More Questions ...

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Only 10 days to go before my arrival. I have a few more questions, as I've been doing a lot of reading on this site, and learning a lot, but I always seem to come up with more questions. Here are the latest.
1. I've been reading about the blackouts around the country. Any idea of the effect on the north coast, especially the Luperon area?
2. Fuel seems to be a real issue. It looks like fuel is being purchased again, but what are the chances this will affect our trip? It's a two hour drive from the airport to the hotel, and I've arranged for a taxi, but am curious as to the effect this is having overall, not just for my sake, but for the sake of the people who depend on their cars or public transportation on a daily basis.
3. Regarding the exchange rate, I read that US travelers checks sometimes get a better rate than US cash. If this is the case, does anyone know if Visa travelers checks are honored, or just American Express? Also, are there casas de cambio near or in Luperon?
4. A geological question, just out of curiosity. Looking at some of the pictures it appears there is a lot of coral. Is the country located on a volcanic or coral island?
5. What are the chances of finding an internet cafe in Luperon?
6. Am I better off buying a calling card (to use to call home in the US) when I arrive in the DR? ... and if so, what can I expect to spend?

Again, thanks for your responses to my questions. I really appreciate learning all I can learn and being prepared for the trip.:D

Hannah

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Tourists rarely experience the blackouts. Also remember, blackouts are so common, the country is wired into a parallel power system, especially for businesses. Life goes on as usual, because it is the usual.

Fuel is rarely an issue. Very unlikely you will run into fuel shortages. If there is to be any, DR1 will tell you and you can fill up your tank. Can't remember having problem with fuel since 1990 crisis when fuel was a major issue. This is an electoral year, so you can be sure the government will not let it get out of hand for the people in general.

Bring a mix of cash, travelers check and your credit cards. There are casas de cambio all over. Yes in Luperon. Also, the difference in exchange rate is not so much as to make you want to seek out the casa de cambio. Any bank will do. Lots of banks all over the place.

Country is surrounded by coral reefs, many with serious preservation problems. Efforts are underway to regrow many.

Chances are good of finding an Internet cafe. Your hotel should have the service, rates are usually good for using the Internet at hotels.

Lots of posts about calling cards in DR1 Forums telling which are best. You can buy them here, too. If you will be driving around, buying a pre-paid cell phone is also recommended. Costs about US$50 (some used ones are cheaper) including a RD$100 pre-paid.

If you rent a car, make your way to La Isabela, the site where Columbus first landed and also to Punta Rucia. Overnight there so you can book an 8 am boat trip (about RD$2,000-RD$2,500) to the sand island (Cayo Arena, also called Paradise Island) for a morning trip. Go early to get some time before the boat loads of tourists come. Bring water, snack and snorkeling equipment. Lovely.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Thank you so much for your answers. They really help a lot. I won't have a car, but once we are settled in I plan on doing some sight seeing, perhaps traveling by gau-gau (or is it gua-gua?). I'm not sure of the location of Punta Rucia. Is it west of Luperon? I remember reading about it, but the details are fuzzy I've been reading so much. It seems a week will not be enough!!
Again, thank you for the information.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Damajagua is about half an hour east from Luperon. Get a guagua to take you to the marked roadside site where the guides hang out. Contract one of those guides -- Robert, Joeli, Nelson, and la Maquina all speak English. Guides charge about RD$300 per person all the way to the top of the 27th falls. You need clothes and shoes that can get wet and dry fast -- you will be jumping in and getting out, and shoes that are rugged but can get wet (sneakers wont do). Go up the hill, and come cascading down. Way to go. Get there at about 8 am to arrange for the trip. Takes about 4 hours, will be the highlight of your trip.

Last edited:

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
The falls sound amazing. I just called one of my friends who is going with me and told her about them. Do you think they'll be a problem to climb for two heavier women? Our third friend is fit as can be, so no problem for her. Also, what should we carry with us in terms of provisions (water, snacks, etc.?). May be too much for us, but something we would probably want to see, even if we can't do the climbing and sliding. Is there a safety issue if one or two of us want to climb and the other wants to stay behind and watch?
Also just found a site with reference and picture of Cayo arena. It looks beautiful. I'm hoping that when we walk into Luperon we might be able to find some guides there who can take us on a field trip, but again, the issue is safety as we are three ladies traveling together, and one may just hang back at the resort instead of running around sight seeing. What do you think?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You need to be in relative good shape to do the falls. For example, if your friends can walk up six flights of stairs non-stop, then they can do it. If not, would not recommend it. Travel light. Take water and snacks, but bring back all the garbage. All those who go should be prepared to climb and slide. If not, they should not go.

There are also tours to Cayo Arena that will be offered from your hotel. As long as you travel by daytime, the security problem is minimal observing the same precautions you would in any unknown place, even if you are three ladies. But these are about an hour from Luperon and you will need to rent a car to get there. If you do not rent a car nor will overnight, then it is best to take the tour.

Both Damajagua and Cayo Arena are world class sites, truly worth the effort.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
I can walk up four flights of stairs fairly quickly, so I think I could manage six at a snail's pace, but we'll just play it all by ear.

Again, I really appreciate all of your information. I am looking forward to this trip a lot. Any and all helpful hints and suggestions are welcome.