Petition for Visa

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
I need a little help.
My wife who is a US citizen petitioned for her father in the DR to receive a visa. Because he tried to get to the US by marrying someone to get a visa 10 years ago (which is on his record), he was denied. Is there anything that can be done or papers that can be filed?

Thanks in advance for the help

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
msa319 said:
I need a little help.
My wife who is a US citizen petitioned for her father in the DR to receive a visa. Because he tried to get to the US by marrying someone to get a visa 10 years ago (which is on his record), he was denied. Is there anything that can be done or papers that can be filed?

Thanks in advance for the help

He probably could file for a waiver but to be honest with you I hope he doesn't. He is more than likely banned from the US for life. Trying to get in by marrying someone is fraud, and that's why I have been waiting almost 2 years for my wife who is legimately filing. I'm sorry but it makes me mad when people do this stuff.

-Tim
--

Last edited by a moderator:

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Considering your wife is a US Citizen, she can petition for her father to get his US Residency. I don't know the paperwork involved, but I just had a friend of mine that came over from the DR then became a US citizen petition for his mother and she got her US Legal Resident card. She isn't going to stay here forever, but it beats having to get a visa each time she wants to come over

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
twincactus said:
He probably could file for a waiver but to be honest with you I hope he doesn't. He is more than likely banned from the US for life. Trying to get in by marrying someone is fraud, and that's why I have been waiting almost 2 years for my wife who is legimately filing. I'm sorry but it makes me mad when people do this stuff.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

but even if relationship is not fraud/legit, the consulate can deny you
for whatever reason they want (if they want to deny you they will come up with any reason/excuse)... even if you have photos, receipts, flights, etc.

if you've been waiting for ~2yrs that means you married her in dr, correct? (well you did stated she is your wife).

i have heard/read that fiance visa takes less than that.. not less than a yr (nowadays) but less than 2 yrs.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
About that Visa for Father-in-law

Since he originally committed a fraud (doesn't matter how long ago) in originally applying for a visa/residency to the US, he is and will be denied consideration for future applications.
That's the way the law reads and I know of no "waivers" to that law.

Go to the sites cited above and get your answers there. It'll save you a lot of frustration and emotional pain.

There was a time in US history whereby if an American Citizen married an alien abroad, that alien automatically became a US Citizen UPON ARRIVAL AT THE PORT OF ENTRY. That was changed after WWII when the numerous "War Brides" began to arrive and immediately divorced their respective spouses after being "naturalized" as US Citizens. Congress passed laws to make it VERY difficult for such to continue occurring and the priviledge of automatic citizenship was revoked.
Blame that revocation on the past actions of unscrupulous persons who took too much advantage for the wrong reasons.
There are "guardhouse" lawyers who still spread the rumor that one can gain automatic US Citizenship by marrying a US Citizen. T'ain't so McGee. Therein lies the fraud.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My fiance's father is a US citizen, as are 4 brothers and 2 sisters. She is 40, never married, no children. She applied for a resident visa in 11/99, and has just been "approved". It will still be a tear to 18 months before she will actually get the paper. We will not get married before she gets her visa because the application is for an "unmarried female over 21, daughter of a citizen". It would change her status, and void the residency application.

It's rediculous, IMO. She can't even travel here.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
cobraboy said:
My fiance's father is a US citizen, as are 4 brothers and 2 sisters. She is 40, never married, no children. She applied for a resident visa in 11/99, and has just been "approved". It will still be a tear to 18 months before she will actually get the paper. We will not get married before she gets her visa because the application is for an "unmarried female over 21, daughter of a citizen". It would change her status, and void the residency application.

It's rediculous, IMO. She can't even travel here.[/QUOTE

Ridiculous or not, that's the way the original application reads! And that is her status. Accept it. You don't have to like it, but that's the way the INS thinks. Just remember that you're dealing with a typical "closed" bureaucratic mind. They're not interested in whether or not something is "fair" and equitable, just interested in satisfying the letter of the law.
I'm married to a Dominican and she was denied a visa based on the premise that she (nor I ) had an imperitive reason to return to the DR. IE., no real property ownership, no ownership of vehicles, etc., etc., we must spend the time and money AGAIN to re-apply furnishing that documentation in order for a VISITORS VISA to be approved and issued. Even then, there is no guarantee that they will approve the application! I'm as frustrated as you, my friend, but we're fighting a pre-conceived notion that a Dominican, once in the USA, will "get lost in the shuffle" of the population and submerge into the "underground society" that exists. THAT's the reason for all the difficulty. Too many have done just that in the past. Not just Dominicans, all nationalities. With the paranoia that exists in the US today, I don't see how the poor souls there can manage to go to work each day without fear of getting blown up.

Texas Bill