Let me tell you about Ochoa

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Here's my story ...

I saved long and hard to buy a generator. We're not talking Chinese here - a monster 25K Perkins diesel. Big enough to run a small town. I bought it in Ochoa. I sat with the "engineer" and went through all my requirements - witnessed by my brother. The conversation went a little like this:

"So, what EXACTLY do I get for my $10000 USD?"

The "engineer" told me that the price included "everything" I probed further:

Delivery? - Yes
Installation? - Yes
Warranty? - Of course
All new parts? - Sir, please - of course!
At the day of my choosing? - Yes

On this basis the deal was struck for delivery on the last Tuesday in February. I bought it on the third of February. They charged my credit card immediately.

You know what happened next don't you?

It never came

I called them.

They asked:

Who is going to install it for you?

I said:

You are.

They said:

No.

When they finally delivered it, several days late, they left it in the doorway of the planta house so nobody could get in or out. Prior to delivery I got them to fax me a note stating that I had paid for it to be delivered to the place where it was going to be put into operation. Apparently the doorway was good enough and I had to pay someone else to crane it into it's final position. I had to pay an engineer to install it and then he pointed out that the transfer switch box was not new. When their other "engineer" came to inspect it for its warranty and start it up for the first time, it turns out that the transfer switch is actually not only used but faulty. They took it away and left me without electricity in my house while they are having it "serviced".

So, to recap, I bought a 10000 dollar generator that came with used, scratched, parts that were faulty. I was promised everything and have a witness to that and actually got nothing. They left me without electricity for three days.

So, next time you consider buying anything at all from Ochoa, perhaps you would like to remember my plight and that of my wife and baby duaghter and choose to go shopping somewhere else, where the salesmen actually tell the truth and they sell proper, clean, new, working things rather than beat-up used stuff that doesn't even work.

- Of course - if Ochoa were to comment, or refund me my expenses (which actually run to more than 1000 dollars) then perhaps I would change my opinion of them but when one of their staff tells my secretary to "go away and never phone me again - you'll get nothing out of us" you tend to get a little miffed and personally I concluded that they weren't worth dealing with.

Ho Hum lesson learnt - It doesn't matter how big or how important, if you haven't got it in writing it aint worth diddly. I must say though that when you are spending that sort of money for an enormous planta it's quite obvious that you are going to ask a couple of questions. - It's not as if I was going to pop it in my CRV and drive it home! Imagine buying a new car - would you ask the salesman if the price included the wheels? And would you not be a bit pis$ed off if when you went to collect it there was a scratch all the way down one side of it? "Don't worry sir, all our cars come with one of those"!!!!

Sep 19, 2005
I have seen decnet 15Kw generators going for $6K...so that dont seem like a bad deal!!!!you got to film the conversation next time....

I have been eyeing some of those babies!

my buddies have been sending containers doen on a regular basis.
actually one of them was up here for the last month looking to buy buying stuff to bring down to the DR........ he said it wasnt that much money.

he brought a car down and the entry taxes were 27,000 pesos!!!!!!!!! for a new car!..it cost more to ship it!!!!

I figured the entry taxes would be several thousand !!!!!!!!!!

bob

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The questions you asked,

as part of your due deligence ,don't seem to be the type of questions that one would ask if they were spending $10,000 or buying a car as you used as a comparison. It would be seem to me that you would want to know how your usuage would be satisfied by this powerhouse. Did you need more or less capacity? Am I buying new or used? Guarantees?
WOW-just so many questions before you pluck down 10 Gs.

What would make them say -dont bother calling again? Why would you pay for the total invoice before delivery?

Something doesn't make sense here. Maybe you can expand a little on what the issues are.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nicky, I cannot say I am sorry. You didn't talk to me and that would have saved you a bundle, believe you me....

But, if it is now installed, you can rest easy and enjoy 24/7 electricity. It is so wonderful....

May the wee one enjoy Mommy and Poppy's sacrifice....:p:p:p

HB :D:D:D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I went shopping for a generator a couple of years ago & found Amaro motors on the outskirts of Santiago to be VERY helpful. He became even more so when he realised I was a friend of Hillbilly's (they have a long history I gather!!). I wasn't looking for 25 Kw admittedly but I found his prices INCLUDING delivery, guarantee, ;installation very competitive at the time (US $5,000 for a 12 Kw as I recall).

In the end I went with a local guy here in Puerto Plasta & bought a second hand 15 Kw for US $3,000 with delivery, guarantee & installation for a further RD $8,000. I have only had to have the fan belts exchanged in the two years & it purrrrrs like a dream every time I switch it on. 15 Kw is MORE than enough for our house (I wanted the neighbours to come in with me to charge their invertor but for some reason they have declined till now - HE owns a petrol station!!!) but my average diesel consumption is 0.95 gall per hour.

I am MOST surprised at Ochoa taking this stance with you Simon - every time I have had cause to return something they have been quick to exchange or refund as necessary! Did you ask to speak to Old Man Ochoa? Normally he is very approachable & keen to give good service. ~ Grahame.

Hmmm. I see the old cumudgeon was posting as I did. When shopping in Santiago it ALWAYS pays to talk to him first & for after sales service ............ well, he gets his voice heard most times!! ~ GWB.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on!

If I am going to spend 10 thousand dollars on a generator in the DR, I WILL make sure that I will do the transation from my home and only pay them AFTER I see the generator off and running.

We ALL know how much of a "yes man" SOME businesses can be when they want your money. You know what, you want my 10g's?, then you better come to my home, put the darn thing together, install it, let me see it working for a few hours and THEN, and only THEN will I pay you. If we were talking about 1G, of course that they will not go to your house, but we are talking about 10G. When was the last time thay sold a 10G generator?. Not every day, I am sure.

I see it this way, if I have not paid them and it's not working, they will work MUCHO hard to make it work, not because they have to, but because they want the dinero. If I am going to spend 10G, schit, I make sure that they also bring me some lunch while bringing the generator to my home!.

I am sorry that for what happened to you.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You will not find a generator company in the DR that will put it in, let you test it, then get paid.

Purchases like this require research, Ocha wouldn't have been my first choice to provide a generator.

To those of you that read this board and are thinking of buying a generator, read this board and post your questions. We have some very knowledgeable people around here when it comes to generators, use their knowledge.

Happy 24x7 power ;)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've bought a lot of stuff from Ochoa for my house and I can say the only thing I liked about them was the fact that I had more choices than other places, but their service just absolutely sucks. I had an experience where I bought a lot of tiles (enough for a 4500 sf house + outside) and when they delivered it I was missing a couple of a certain type. I went back to try to get these and it took me almost the whole day and having to bitch a lady out at "customer service" in order to get them. They give you the runaround as much as they can, apparently expecting that you're just going to give up and leave.

LPF: Your friend must have a very good connection in customs if he only paid 27,000 pesos for a car.

E

ElRayoX

Total Bummer...

This is when you need to do a 10/70/20 deal, if you can pull it off. You pay 10% at signing, 70% upon delivery, and 20% when it is installed and acceptable. For most "real" businessmen, it works. For you, protection. Sure, it's the DR, but business is business and cash is cash. If a business won't accept such terms...time to say "later dude, you lose" and head for the next dealer.

Sep 19, 2005
you would think that paying afterwards is the way to go...but if they dont agree your left with leaving or taking their terms. In the big company's ...especially in the DR... they are like robots. They have their orders and they dont have flexibility to adjust from those orders!!!!!!!.. or at least they dont think they do.

I rented a car for 14 days at $66 per day, and was $2 short on american cash...unless i wanted to break another $100 bill(which he didnt have change for)........he was not even going to consider taking $2 less on the bill!

he spent 30 minutes trying to find change to break the 100!!

the bill was over $900 and he wouldnt let the $2 slide!!!!!!!

Ochoa is like a big home depot... they are all in slow motion over there!....it takes so long to get someone to help you.. they look things up so slowly in the computer... then they take forever to make up your ticket, then the girl at check out takes forever making sure she has everything correct on prices..even though a ticket was generated.. then the chekc out guy has to look at everything and check it off the sheet the lady RIGHT next to him, just scanned everything in!!!!!!!! then when you walk out the door, another guy has to look at everything you have and compare it to your merchandise.. when all these people are only 30 feet from each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the plastic pipe I needed from the yard..is was 80 pesos for a 9 foot piece, but all the had left were broken pieces some 7 feet some 6 feet.. they spent 15 minutes trying to find a 9 footer, then they were all looking at what might have been 12 footers, and figureing out which one to use to cut into my 9 footer...finally i just grabbed a 7 footer with messed up end( maybe 6 foot 9 inched usable) and said this will do!!, see ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There's a reason for this-

Ochoa is like a big home depot... they are all in slow motion over there!....it takes so long to get someone to help you.. they look things up so slowly in the computer... then they take forever to make up your ticket, then the girl at check out takes forever making sure she has everything correct on prices..even though a ticket was generated.. then the chekc out guy has to look at everything and check it off the sheet the lady RIGHT next to him, just scanned everything in!!!!!!!! then when you walk out the door, another guy has to look at everything you have and compare it to your merchandise.. when all these people are only 30 feet from each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob[/QUOTE]
especially with boxed appliances. Same thing happened to me at La Sirena.When I inquired about this practice I found out that one of the tricks for inside store thefts is the exchange of a more expensive appliance into a cheaper marked boxed this extra checking was put into place,
So, the last check, is supposed to be the guy who is checking on the sales clerk and the cashier. At least thats what I understand about the process that takes 45 minutes to pay and check out one appliance.

JOHN

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I need to explain something ....

I bought the planta on a credit card. This gives me a certain amount of "protection" should the deal screw up. I can (and probably will) cancel the payment and look for a deal towards settling the bill. There's just no way I would have handed over cash - those of you that know me know I'm a bit dopey sometimes but please, I'm not totally stupid. (Am I)?:rolleyes:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
laurapasinifan said:
I have seen decnet 15Kw generators going for $6K...so that dont seem like a bad deal!!!!you got to film the conversation next time....

actually one of them was up here for the last month looking to buy buying stuff to bring down to the DR........ he said it wasnt that much money.

he brought a car down and the entry taxes were 27,000 pesos!!!!!!!!! for a new car!..it cost more to ship it!!!!

bob

YOU'RE COMPLAINING THAT YOU PAID RD 27,000 IN IMPORT DUTIES????

What did you ship, a rusted Pinto?

Normally expect to pay 20 to 40% of the car's value.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Simon & Nicky said:
I bought the planta on a credit card. This gives me a certain amount of "protection" should the deal screw up. I can (and probably will) cancel the payment and look for a deal towards settling the bill.
It will be interesting to hear how that turns out. Keep us posted.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Conchman said:
YOU'RE COMPLAINING THAT YOU PAID RD 27,000 IN IMPORT DUTIES????

What did you ship, a rusted Pinto?

Normally expect to pay 20 to 40% of the car's value.

Originally Posted by laurapasinifan
"I have seen decnet 15Kw generators going for $6K...so that dont seem like a bad deal!!!!you got to film the conversation next time....

bob"

yeah Bob, how did your friend imported car and only paid 27k pesos?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Simon & Nicky said:
I bought the planta on a credit card. This gives me a certain amount of "protection" should the deal screw up. I can (and probably will) cancel the payment and look for a deal towards settling the bill. There's just no way I would have handed over cash - those of you that know me know I'm a bit dopey sometimes but please, I'm not totally stupid. (Am I)?:rolleyes:
Well, don't wait too much longer. As your card was charged on February 3. Not knowing what your credit card bill date is, but you lose many of your rights 30 days after the billing date. After 30 days the onus for proving fraud will fall on you, simply dissatifaction with the product or service won't fly.

Sep 19, 2005
Ill have to ask him....I wasnt complaining..i was thinking thats a GOOD deal.

because previously i had heard it was more exspensive!

He has a house there and one in CT, and our other friend lives in La Vega. they are partners in somethings. And he was up here looking for ways to invest his money. One thing was multi family houses. the other thing they were looking at was large high ticket items to bring down there and resell

he told me he paid 27,000 pesos to customs. to bring his car into the DR

I asked several times...27,000 pesos..$about $800.US?? are you sure?, he said yes many times over. If I send a car, Ill make sure he does it ha ha ha

I told him i wanted to send a computer, but was worried about them charging me 2or 3 hunreds in taxes...he said they wont, they might not even know its a computer....he sent a computer and didnt pay anything to get it in.

They were connected in the Hipolito administration...dont know how that affects them now.

usually once the old guy goes out the new guy puts in his crew and the favor fountain dries up.

bob

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Oh dear - you just won't believe this ....

Here's the latest on this fiasco. The engineer finally came to check the installation in order to give me my warranty. The switch unit was proved to be second-hand and faulty. It just didn't work properly. The engineers dsconnected the switch (and my house) while they took it for repair. Three days later they returned with a replacement unit, installed it and it still didn't work. Basically, the generator will run in "manual" mode but does not produce electricity. They told me this was normal! I told them that if the manual told me how to run the generator in "manual" mode, and the switch has a position marked "manual" then surely I should be able to switch the damned thing off whenever I liked. What's more I was supposed to be able to switch it on and off from my house (part of the original deal) - It now turns out that I have to walk down to the planta house which as I'm sure you are aware, is set as far away from my house as possible!!!

So the engineers gave up and walked away. That was three weeks ago. Every day either myself or my secretary telephone and complain. They never answer. We have faxed them numberous times, and now we fax direct to Mr. Ochoa himself in Spanish - still nothing. They have drawn a complete wall of silence over the whole episode and there's not a damned thing I can do about it. I have been totally ripped off for 10000 dollars and I'm left with a generator that doesn't even work and a generator house that was built around it. The total cost of the whole excersise must run at around 15000 dollars and rising. If anyone has any idea at all how to help me out of this totally hideous mess I would love to here from you. Hillbilly, I'm sending you a PM while on bended knee, perhaps the great and wise Billy of the Hills will be able to save my bacon?