Where to buy 19'' LCD monitor ?

rogi

May 6, 2005
Hi,
Could somebody please recommend me
shop in Santo Domingo where I can buy good 19'' LCD Monitor?
I looking for relatively new model with DVI output.
All places that I know don't offer wide choice of LCD monitors.
Thanks.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You are much better off in many ways to order from the States.

They are much too expensive here, and you are not likely to find any current generation models.

There is a thread somewhere detailing the adventure one of our board members had bringing one in from the states, it was not a walk in the park but he still came out better than if he had bought one locally.

I mentioned in that thread I had a 19" on the way that I might be willing to sell, but I love it too much so it's not for sale.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Question?

Is it difficult or impossibe to buy the 19' online, i.e. best buy and have it shipped via UPS??

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Get an account with a freight forwarding service like business mail, the board members here can direct you to a good one, Business Mail is just the first that pops into my head.

You can buy online all day long and ship to them, they will deal with customs and get you your stuff.

rogi

May 6, 2005
Thanks for advice. I usually buy computer parts online and use CPS for delivery.
But I've been told that Customs duty on LCD monitors is very high.
Is it true? Could somebody tell me how much will be Customs payment for LCD
monitor that costs $400 in USA ?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
By the book you should only pay 16% sales tax but the question is 16% of how much since they may not use your invoice to determine the monitor's value, I've seen this work both ways.

They may also decide your monitor is actually a TV and charge you extra for luxury electronics, or else they may be unaware that the exchange commission no longer applies to computer products and add 13%.

Also they may tax you on the shipping and insurance, and they may also make up their own values for both of these things. You really never know.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MrMike said:
They may also decide your monitor is actually a TV and charge you extra for luxury electronics, or else they may be unaware that the exchange commission no longer applies to computer products and add 13%.
Or they may determine that it is both a TV and a monitor and charge you tax for each of them.:(

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MrMike said:
There is a thread somewhere detailing the adventure one of our board members had bringing one in from the states, it was not a walk in the park but he still came out better than if he had bought one locally.
Here is the thread you mentioned. I don't know if the money he saved was worth the aggravation.