Margarita needs your help!!!

lilmary11

Feb 10, 2006
Hello everyone, We've just returned from the D.R. and had an incredible experience as usual. Ive been reading all of your posts for quite some time now and have acquired a wealth of information. For this i would like to thank everyone. Now if i may be so bold as to use my first post to ask a favor. My husband and I were on our way to the beach and decided to stop in to the now famous Margarita's to try one(actually 3 but whose counting) Well, I think we both fell in love with her instantly. I speak spanish so was able to extract most of her history and i must say, what she has accomplished is nothing short of amazing. The reason im asking for your help is that she among other things has taken it upon herself to enroll in formal english classes. She goes three times a week after work and studies at the bar when its not busy. The problem is that like with many people learning a second language she is afraid to speak. Like many who live tourist towns she is able to understand quite a bit, but in order to break thru that barrier she is going to have to practice speaking . So if some of you could engage her in conversation in english it would really help her. She told me that she is studying the past and future forms of go( i went, im going, etc.) And please dont let her off the hook. I love helping people who are struggling to overcome odds. Margarita got somewhat of a bad rap earlier when a few untrue and hurtful things were said about her when all she is trying to do is to create a better life for herself thru hard work and studies. I wish her the best and hope that you will help her succeed.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Reading your post brought a smile to my face.

Thanks for stopping by Margaritas and thanks for making this you first post on DR1. :)

I sent you a PM.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Two friends and I are going to the DR in a week. We'll be on the north coast, west end. Where is Margarita's located? If I am able to get there I will happy to jump in and help, especially since her English is probably much better than my Spanish!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Margarita's is located in Caseta # 39 on Sosua Beach.

Tell her La Tamborista sent you and she will give you a free Santo Libre!

You can just put it on Eduardo's open tab.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
Margarita's is located in Caseta # 39 on Sosua Beach.

Tell her La Tamborista sent you and she will give you a free Santo Libre!

You can just put it on Eduardo's open tab.
It sounds like I am going to have one heck of a bar bill, before I start drinking! :confused:

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
We don't have a lot of extra money, but we won't put our drink on your tab unless you're there, of course. :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
hannahleea said:
We don't have a lot of extra money, but we won't put our drink on your tab unless you're there, of course. :)
Tamborista is just pulling our collective legs. Margarita is to smart to give allow anyone to run a tab, including me or him.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rellosk I forgot to tell you but I stopped by Margaritas between 2/28-3/1. As most Dominicans do, she remembered me from my January trip. Quite naturally I had a Presidente or two. She now has a menu with about 10 different Margaritas. She is a nice pleasant girl and the other ladies are just as friendly.

If you are on the beach and want to sit and relax while you have a frosty one. This place is just as good as any.

Just tease Margarita, she thinks she is an internet star. If you don't know which one is Margarita look on the cover of the menu.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bigbird, thanks for stopping by (again). I saw the new menus on my last trip. Quite a bit different from the first time I saw the place.

Hopefully, I'll get to buy you a drink or two on one of your next trips.

viejosucio

Mar 18, 2006
LilMary, I stopped by Margaritas and had a couple beers yesterday and i just wanted to let you know that Margarita is coming right along She was studying when we showed up; it was just about 10am and the people were getting to the beach. She understands quite a bit, but is still a little shy about speaking. I thought it was funny that she has never been on DR1 and only recieves little snipits from members who wander in. I told her of the latest posts and she asked me to thank you and all the members for their kind words and support. I also suggested that she implement some sort of Happy hour for Dr1 members or a once a week Margarita Party where all of the Dr1 crowd could get together and drink cheap. Is anyone else doing this. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
rellosk said:
Bigbird, thanks for stopping by (again). I saw the new menus on my last trip. Quite a bit different from the first time I saw the place.

Hopefully, I'll get to buy you a drink or two on one of your next trips.

We're thinking of stopping by next week when we're on the North Coast. It is nice what you are doing, supporting a local person and a local business. Now, just to find a few moments of time between a necessary portion of Rocky's ribs and a good Margarita ;)

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
:cool:
Great post. I have enjoyed reading the original post by Rellosk on this subject. It sounds like a "feel good" story in it's infancy. My wife and I will be staying at Sun Village from 03/25 to 04/09. Sosua is a favorite of ours as we have stayed there a few times and "love" it. We are planning to spend Sunday 04/02 at the Sosua Beach . We will certainly make a point of supporting Margarita's. It would be great to put a few familiar names to faces if any Ex-Pats wish to drop by @ 2 PM . Names that I recognize from DR1 that I think live in , or around Sosua are : Carina , Darlene, Rellosk, Eddy, The Reflections Blogger (sorry , your name escapes me) , Canadian Bob(could be wrong on this one), Esker (would really like to meet you as your Blog was great), (any others that I am unitententially omiiting) .
The first round is on us :cool:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
viejosucio said:
LilMary, I stopped by Margaritas and had a couple beers yesterday and i just wanted to let you know that Margarita is coming right along She was studying when we showed up; it was just about 10am and the people were getting to the beach. She understands quite a bit, but is still a little shy about speaking. I thought it was funny that she has never been on DR1 and only recieves little snipits from members who wander in. I told her of the latest posts and she asked me to thank you and all the members for their kind words and support. I also suggested that she implement some sort of Happy hour for Dr1 members or a once a week Margarita Party where all of the Dr1 crowd could get together and drink cheap. Is anyone else doing this. Any thoughts? Anyone?
Viejosucio, thanks for stopping by. A weekly gathering of DR1 members sounds great. I don't know how many of the DR1 locals frequent Margarita's. Do you live in the DR?

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
I hope I get a chance to check out Margarita's. Now that I know where it is, can someone tell me how far it is from Luperon and how I would get there and how long it would take? This is my first time visiting, so I have a lot to learn. Will be arriving next Sunday morning (EARLY!!!)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
From Luperon

to Sosua beach is not IMHO a trip one would normally make to visit a little bar stall, just because some guys here are admirerers of the propriatresses "work ethic(s?);) ". If you have a car, and hit the traffic just right going through Puerto Plata, you might make it in 45 minutes, but it could take an hour or more. To hire a cab for the round trip would probably cost US$40.

Obviously, there are other things to see in Sosua, and lot of DR1 stallwarts live there, so I'm not saying don't go, just plan other activities. The beach in Sosua is great both for swimming and hanging out

[/QUOTE] I hope I get a chance to check out Margarita's. Now that I know where it is, can someone tell me how far it is from Luperon and how I would get there and how long it would take? This is my first time visiting, so I have a lot to learn. Will be arriving next Sunday morning (EARLY!!!) [/QUOTE]

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sweetdbt said:
to Sosua beach is not IMHO a trip one would normally make to visit a little bar stall, just because some guys here are admirerers of the propriatresses "work ethic(s?);) ".
You make a good point. One might think from these posts, that no other Dominicans work hard. There are thousands of honest hard working Dominicans in Sosua.
sweetdbt said:
If you have a car, and hit the traffic just right going through Puerto Plata, you might make it in 45 minutes, but it could take an hour or more. To hire a cab for the round trip would probably cost US$40.
You would need a Formula 1 car to make it that quickly, and a round trip by taxi would cost, at least, $100 US.