2006 info on Moving to the DR

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I've done a lot of research and I still have a few questions. Coment's on the following would help greatly.
1) Shipping costs and import taxes; Is it best to sell U.S. vehicles and buy DR? What is the best way to ship personal goods?

2) We're looking at either the Punta Cana area or Caberette; pros/cons, one better than the other? Recommendations for other areas to look at?

3) Suggestions for good real estate agents?

4) Safety. My partner is a little freaked out about the fact that everyone has security. Any words of comfort for the frightened one would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much in advance for ANY advise you may have.

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Call Heiko at Camadosa Realty. He's wonderful and very knowledgeable about the Punta Cana area. We bought a condo in PC (in the Cortecito area) and love it. Will be spending 1/2 the year there until our son starts college. Then hopefully all winter.
Buying cars- I hear they are expensive in DR and you really need something sturdy because of the roads. Don't know how much to ship from the US but have been told that you can only ship a car that is less than 5 yrs, old. and in good condition.
Security- We have armed security at our condo and it took some getting used to. Crime is very low here and maybe all the private security is the reason. It does take some getting used to but they are certainly a deterrent to petty crime and vandalism.
Good luck with yourmove!

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Thank you for you advise I definately will call in on the realtor. I'm coming down on Wednesday and plan to look at as many areas as is possible.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi Jackieboo, 4 general questions, 4 general answers ..

1) Shipping costs and import taxes

Lots of information on the board about this - do a search first and then get back with specific questions. You can ship personal goods by container, and your experience will vary depending on where you ship from, and where you ship to. There is lots of controversy about shipping a vehicle vs buying here. Mostly it is just easier to buy here, and you are not subject to the problems in customs to import your vehicle. If you bring a vehicle, be aware of what the level of service would be for that vehicle in the area that you select.

2)Punta Cana area or Caberete;

I do not know Punta Cana, but I really like the Cabarete area. Depends what you want. What is it that you want? There are people from both areas on the board, but you need to tell us what you are looking for.

3) Suggestions for good real estate agents?

Again in Cabarete area, I suggest you search on Real Estate Agents, Sosua. There are many threads where good companies are recommended. See who comes up over and over again in the recommendations and you'll have a good idea who to trust.

4) Safety.

Yes, you need security of some kind. The area where you settle, will determine what kind of security you need. So, look around while you are investigating and see what the level of security is around you. That will give you a good idea of what you would need. Most of us live happily without problems, but we have all learnt certain do's and dont's security wise. Just a few months ago, we left a door open and left the house. A laptop was snatched quick as a wink. But, we left the door open. The DR is generally still safe personally, but your posessions will be ripped off in the New York minute if you are not careful.

Keep asking specific questions on the board and you'll get varied, weird, wonderful and mostly accurate information.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Point One: moving your things will be easier -- or rather, cheaper--onceyou establish residency. YOu get certain breaks as a result. Shipping cars -- well it will be cheaper to ship your car from there if you do it after gaining residency as well, and certain companies are set up to give you good deals on this. Cars here, even second hand, are expensive and usually not as well maintainted. From where are you moving? There are restrictions on the age of the car btw, but I cannot remember the cutoff year.

Point Two: bear in mind this comes from a Capitale?o, but I would choose the Cabarete area over Punta Cana, which is more isolated from the rest of the country, flatter land (less variation), highly developed in terms of resorts, with small rather ugly towns so the local life is less attractive in my view -- though the area around Boca de Yuma is really nice, and of course lots of good beaches. In Cabarete you are right on the North coast, near the samana peninsula, the cibao, the Northwest, Santiago, and you have the Autopista Duarte to take you to the capital. The coastal road is beautiful too.

Point Four: thievery is a national sport, so you have to keep things locked down, and you will learn the ins and outs of this. It is not so hard really, but we all have stories about thieves here. Either one of these sectors has pretty low crime figures -- the Capital and Santiago have higher figures because there is urban crowding and slums. Frankly, where you are headed, I wouldnt worry about it too much. The house will have bars on windows and doors, and if you dont drive anything too flashy you are unlikely to be carjacked --which I think happens down here in the city but not up there really. On the whole dominicans are pretty mellow people. Take time to really get to know your neighbors, but play your cards close to your chest too. Become part of the community, learn dominican mores and language, and accept that they have different ideas about some things. YOu are on their turf now.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Thank you for your insights about moving there. Answering your questions I'll be moving from the desert (Phoenix, Arizona). What am I looking for? I'm looking for a nice house (villa) under $200,000 in an area that I can walk to the beach, the house must have access to high speed internet as I plan on working for the same company that I work for now only there. I'm not too keen on the idea of living in a 'compound' I'll just have to see what's there when I come down. I leave on Tuesday, fly in to Punta Cana, rent a car and have set up several meetings with real estate agents. Any thing you'd like to add from there would be greatly appriciated.

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
jackieboo said:
Thank you for your insights about moving there. Answering your questions I'll be moving from the desert (Phoenix, Arizona). What am I looking for? I'm looking for a nice house (villa) under $200,000 in an area that I can walk to the beach, the house must have access to high speed internet as I plan on working for the same company that I work for now only there. I'm not too keen on the idea of living in a 'compound' I'll just have to see what's there when I come down. I leave on Tuesday, fly in to Punta Cana, rent a car and have set up several meetings with real estate agents. Any thing you'd like to add from there would be greatly appriciated.

I dont think bought houses come with high speed internet included. you wil have to get the internet on your own. They cost aroun $60 a month. And the process is long sometimes you wait a month before they get you connected.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, perhaps you have the cart before the horse. Most of us long-timers on here (and some of us count a loooong time), suggest that you rent for a year before you get to the business of buying. I would strongly suggest that you choose an area that you like, and that may fit the bill for you, and rent for a year .. an apartment, a house anything. But do not come down and on your first or second or even third or fourth visit and buy. Wait with that decision. Spend a year before you spend money.

Rentals are still priced at a level where they do not break the bank. But give yourself some time. Don't make the appointments with the realtors before you have not checked out an area thoroughly, have found your feet with the country and the people and the culture and are sure of where you want to be.

All this advise is null and void if you find a most amazing deal and just simply have to invest. On the other hand, the most amazing deal will probably be a scam of some kind ;)

I cannot say it strongly enough! Rent for a year first... and find your feet. If you find something while you are renting, you are not pressed to make decisions, as you would know what else is available in your chosen area.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Thank you Chris. That is the kind of advise I really need to hear. Anything else you can think of just post away.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
jackiepoo,
As another long-timer in country I would recommend those suggestions offered by Chris.

As you didn't mention if you are familiar with the DR or how many times you have visited is a further indication of the need to step back and think about this.

The last paragraph of the last post from Chris explains my sediments also. Good luck and welcome to DR1.

Rick

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I recently sent a pm to a good soulmate who is coming here for a period of time and she was going to wiki the info ... but I'm sure she won't mind if I repeat some of it here, judiciously edited.

Infrastructure
Be very sure that you have water when the power is out... Usually, it would be a tinaco on the roof, that pressure feeds the house or apartment and not a water pump that works on electricity.

If you can, be sure that you have an inverter to supply 24 hours power to the house/apartment, or a generator that actually runs well, preferably diesel. It gets real old real fast if there is no water in the house to flush a toilet or wash the dishes. Even in these 'normal' times, we still have 6 to 8 hour power outages per day. No-one really talks about it any longer, because we all have inverters to bridge the period of outage and then we don't notice how long the black-outs are.

This sounds like fun and the family can do it together and so on, but we all have other things to do. If your infrastructure works, things are really much easier. Please remember UPS's for computers, unless you trust the inverter to do the safeguarding for you.

Keep in mind that certain areas are just plain noisy! Trucks, motos, cars, people screetching, chickens and noise from all levels. So, if you decide on where to live, take a little time and just listen at different times of the day .. morning, night and daytime. A nice place may just be very very noisy.

It is important to check the area, as well as the house/apartment, for safety against burglaries and so on. Your family needs to know that especially in the beginning, you may be targets for a quick burglary or a purse or phone snatching or something, just because you are new.

For a DSL modem (Flash), don't accept an answer that you can get flash in an area, ask if someone else has it, and verify physically in another home/apartment near by.

It will probably not be so easy initially to get a furnished place to rent, unless you work inside of the 'gringo' community for that - Dominican rentals are not usually furnished. Please please be aware of who you deal with. Please double check on the board if you feel that you want or need a 2nd opinion. Actually, just double check on the board anyway... Your community is very important.

For leases or rental contracts, it is better to consult an attorney, even if it is just a quick consultation to ensure that you're doing the right thing - to ensure that the previous electricity and phone lines are paid up. If the previous stuff is not paid, there is no way that you can get services, unless you pay it all up. Don't expect a bill to arrive at your door. It may, or may not. At the right date in the month, go and pay your electricity and phone, even if you do not have a bill. Keep these two services in your hands .. don't let the landlord do it if you have a house.

Anyways, I hope these notes help.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Sorry, not used to posting. I've been to the DR 2 times over the past 10 years. I've lived in St. Thomas USVI and have traveled around the world twice. I also speak some Spanish (enough to have a basic conversation) and am currently in the process of taking advanced classes.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Take all of what Chris has said on her last few posts and consider them closely. This is the voice of experience talking. Do NOT buy anything off the bat, the prices are likely to be way higher than what you will eventually find if you jsut take your time and look around. It takes time to get to know this place. If you are coming to Punta Cana, and expect to pass through the capital, perhaps on your way north, get in touch with me and we can maybe meet, have a coffee or a beer and get you oriented, ok?

Couple points to add to Chris: do not take a house on an intersection or anywhere near a colmado (bodega) or bar. Look for side streets that dont really take the traffic anywhere -- the less traffic, the less noise. These little motorbikes they have here are ear splitting.

DSL is also available through your cable tv service, though I have not tried it. I use Verizon, VIP Flash, and the total cost is about 80 bucks a month, with a few long distance calls thrown in. DSL aint cheap here.

Rentals in the capital often do come with furniture and thus charge more, but maybe in your areas that is not the case. Which means you will have to pick up some furniture while you are here. If you want good stuff, I can direct you to some high quality, fair priced stores. There are local "talleres" that fashion furniture out of bamboo and mimbre, and you might find some very nice quality stuff that way.

Remember that here what they call "radio bemba" is still the most effective way to learn about what is for sale and rent, etc. Lip radio, gossip, or just neighborly conversation will teach you alot about this place an dhelp you to survive. Tune in regularly.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I concur with long time posters like Chris....

If you've only visited twice in ten years, you have a lot to learn about this country......

Punta Cana is isolated and mostly resorts so you will definitely have to drive into La Romana or even the capital for many of the things you will need.

Cabarete might be a better choice.

You might also consider the Juan Dolio area.....

Lots of property available to buy or rent (which I would advise for the first 6 months to a year) and DSL or Wireless is readily obtained. There are several people here working over the internet with no problems.
Juan Dolio also is not subject to the long power outages suffered in most other areas and is close to the capital for any things you might need like inverters, computer equipment, UPS's, furniture etc.
San Pedro has a couple of North American style supermarkets, some excellent medical clinics and is only 15 minutes away.
Also the airport is only 40 minutes away from Juan Dolio.....

We just bought a yr. 2000 Nissan Terrano in excellent condition - 4x4 for 450,000 RD (/32 =14,062 US) and are very pleased with it. You will need to get your residency to obtain a RD drivers license to obtain insurance for the vehicle.

All our furnishings and appliance have been bought here as we felt it wasn't worth the hassle, or the taxes and shipping to bring them in.

Don't put the cart before the horse. Come down for at least 6 months -rent and look around first before you buy. It is easy to buy and difficult to sell should you decide you don't like where you've bought!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is getting to be a good thread with a stack of just solid info about moving to the DR. I'm going to sticky it while the information is up to date. Thanks all for adding solid and good information.

crayola

Jan 29, 2006
Punta Cana vs Cabarete?
I read an article a couple of yrs back that stated that the North Coast (specifically the Province of Puerta Plata) has never been hit by a full force hurrincane. By the time they get here they are a tropical storm. Punta Cana on the other hand has been in the eye of the storm a few times. Personally I think Cabarete/the North Coast has a lot more to offer and a lot more charm.

we are in process of buying just outside of city of Puerto Plata. things we have learned so far: rent before you buy or KNOW and TRUST someone who does. inverter systems seem to work very well. noise can be a problem. safety and security.........use your head...get a security system and USE it, not that crime is high from what i understand, but like someone else said, you are a prime "target". I think punta cana and cabarete are tourists places so you get what comes with that....good and bad. what do you really want?? quiet? action?... whatever. helps a LOT if you know someone that has lived there a while. we would never have bought if we hadn't had TRUSTED friends there.

Last edited:

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Punta Cana vs. Cabarete

To me there is no question that in making a determination as to where to live the better choice would be Cabarete. Punta Cana has some great all inclusive hotels such as Secrets but is largely remote and doesn't offer the conveniences and modern day features that Cabarete/Sosua/Puerta Plata can offer. In other words, visit Punta Cana and enjoy....but live in Cabarete.

marton

Mar 20, 2006
We are reading these posts with a lot of interest as we too intend to come to DR and try to set up a business.

We have been visiting the DR for 10 years now, 15 visits to date a total of 33 weeks. We intend to rent at first and find our feet, then in Dominican Time we will look for somewhere to buy. We like the North Coast area.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
marton said:
We are reading these posts with a lot of interest as we too intend to come to DR and try to set up a business.

We have been visiting the DR for 10 years now, 15 visits to date a total of 33 weeks. We intend to rent at first and find our feet, then in Dominican Time we will look for somewhere to buy. We like the North Coast area.

Marton, that all sounds very wise.

Always RENT first, as it is impossible for your own sake to know what areas you like the most ( in comparence to pricing etc etc ).
Many things are to be considered, like neighbourhood, do I want only expats, or just residencial, gated community or not, kids around or not, animals and pets etc etc.
It is also very easy to start focus, when moving, directly on the practical things such as furniture, cars etc etc.
This is not a problem, anything can be solved.
The issue first is always learning the culture, what areas do I prefer, what are my interests/work and what do I like to be close by etc etc.
There is for instance not internet DSL available in all areas of all towns.
As mentioned before some buildings have electrical water pumps and no generators/inversors and how funny is that when the electricity is off:ninja:

There is never a need to rush when moving. Let it take the time life takes, and you will gain big time from that.