this is driving me nuts!!! watching baseball

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
the cuba vs DR game...and the commentator keeps on refering to the Dominican.

"this is really important to the dominican" oh yeah? which one??? LOL

and THEN refers to the "team dominican republic"...when he could have said the dominican team at that point.

I know i know i know...i am being petty....but it one thing to hear a tourist refer the the DR as the Dominican....but well payed TV anchors to be flubbing so bad just has me shaking my head

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
What's the big deal? is it really incorrect? I mean no one says: The Republic of Mexico/ Argentina/ China, etc... at least not as much as simply Mexico, etc...republic is the country's political system. The Dominican is it's name. I'm not sure if i'm politically incorrect but that's how I see it. Besides, saying the Dominican Republic can be exhausting after a while (it's a long name if you haven't noticed). Would you be more comfortable w/ "the republic"....saying the "dominican" is understandable...there are many republics but only one "Dominican"....in context you will know if someone is referring to the country or a person.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
this is kinda a silly debate that has been discussed here before. I dunno..it just makes me CRINGE.

Does one say "the china is making a pitching change"

If they simply said the "Dominicans" are making a change....then it would be correct. To say the "Dominican had everything going THEIR way" simply isn’t grammatically correct!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
That was Joe Morgan talking. He may be in the Hall of Fame, but I have to agree with the jersey guy it was a little anoying.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
jruane44 said:
That was Joe Morgan talking. He may be in the Hall of Fame, but I have to agree with the jersey guy it was a little anoying.

Get over it you idiot.

Go back to the other baseball thread and you will know what I mean.

In the meantime, watch your mouth.