Buying Pet Birds

quisqueyanovaliente

Mar 15, 2006
Im Looking For Info On Buying Pet Birds In Dominican Rep. I Know It Si Ilegal To Buy Dominican Parrots Or Conures. But I Would Like To Buy Another Kinds Of Parrots. Does Anyone Know The Prices? Thanks

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
quisqueyanovaliente said:
Im Looking For Info On Buying Pet Birds In Dominican Rep. I Know It Si Ilegal To Buy Dominican Parrots Or Conures. But I Would Like To Buy Another Kinds Of Parrots. Does Anyone Know The Prices? Thanks

I seen some been sold in pet shops they were asking for $3,500 pesos (about $108 us) But i seen guys sell them in the santiago highway for like $1,000 to $1,500 pesos arounf $30 to $50 us. Good luck.

sidsy

Dec 14, 2008
do you know what type of birds they have for sale? Is it easy to leave th country with them? Thanks Sidsy

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Take it from me

Do not own a bird.

The moment I saw it fly I could not cut its flight feathers. Therefore I clean up crap all the time.

It is not fair at all, they are not domesticated.

Unless you start an aviary for unwanted birds, then you can have mine.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Have you ever owned a parrot?

My neighbors in NC did. They had too many drinks one day in Key West and thought it would be cool and so did... He was devoted to them until he hit puberty then turned into hell on wheels until they bought him a mate - which was already tricky since it is hard to tell the sex of young parrots... And then the two of them ignored the humans, They had to build an aviary etc, etc.... Now I raised Peach Faced Love Birds, only because someone gave them to us as a wedding present (CAN you imagine!) and those are really better pets. I don't know about those parrots that are solitary, that seem to be completely bonded with their humans -- but I would suggest that they are not males-- ANYWAY -- Parrots live 90 years or more so you will have to make plans for him/her/ them in your will. I believe that there are some heavy restrictions on importing them into the US.

I feed the wild birds on my balcony which is already crossing the line according to true bird lovers and none of the parrots who nest in the trees across the way will come near. I hear the one in the cage in the apartment behind me, screaming "STAY AWAY FROM THESE HUMANS - THEY WILLL TRAP YOU AND CUT YOUR FEATHERS AND PUT YOU IN A CAGE'

a dog, perhaps? cats are also somewhat domesticated.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
living in key west about 15 years ago i had a big white cockatoo land high up in a tree in my backyard. it had to be somebodys escaped pet because the island does have some wild parrots, but white cockatoos are native to australia. in a miami pet shop this is a 1500$ bird. it would come to my yard everyday, early evening. being always on the alert for a quick buck, i kept thinking of a way to capture said bird. it had a habit of biting off the ends off of small tree branches up to the point where they were like rain falling and making a mess of the yard. add the constant sqauwking/shrieking and i was thinking about a gun. have you ever seen wild parrots fly? they are like fighter pilots gone mad. pidgeons would be a nice choice, that way you can race them or if you live in the campo they are probably better than the dominican post office, IMPOSDOM.................

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
... and may I add, as if the OP asked ;) that they make an ideal link between birds and humans for bird flu. Actually, parrots can catch a line of flu like illnesses which can carry over to humans.

... J-D.