Need 1000 Young Neem Trees

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
I would like to obtain some young Neem trees suitable for planting on Rancho Dorado. Rumor has it that the government is or was giving them away free to anyone willing to plant them. The benefits of these miracle trees are so wonderful and varied that I wonder why everyone is not setting out a few. I could use at least 1000 to keep mosquitos away from my new home and pests away from my organic agriculture. Thanks for any information. :cool:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Visit your local agricultural extension center. They usually have lots of trees that you can get for free for planting. I do not know if they would have neem trees but it is a good first step. Let us know if you find some.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Although extract of the neem tree is used in some agricultural insecticides, it is almost an urban legend that if you plant it around your house, it will keep mosquitoes away. I planted neem around my thatched hut in Azua, mostly because its the only species that would grow tall enough to provide some shade and also, it thrives in very low moisture soil (arid regions), however, Ive noticed that my mosquito population has ramained about the same, before and after the neem. Neem was brought into the country immediately after Hurricane David devastated the country in 1979, as a reforestation species. I've learned recently that neem is not recommended for planting in low-rainfall regions, since it does not produce enough moisture to protect the earth from the heat, or enough humidity/coolness to attract rainfall. In fact, it could worsen the overall aridity of the soil.

-