What's it like being an expat in the DR

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
We're seriously looking at moving to the DR. We've had it with the 'big brother' U.S. thing and want to have a little more freedom to do what we want.

We'd be coming down with jobs in hand (we can telecommute from anywhere in the world) so there won't be financial restraints. What I am concerned about is the day to day 24/7 living in the DR. Are there groups of expat friends and gatherings? Have you developed friendships since moving to the DR? What's typical day like for you?

Thanks in advance for any information. Viva El RD!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This is very different for everyone, as in life all over the world.
There are no stereotypes.
Try it out first, rent instead of buying etc.
If you haven?t tried it, it is difficult to know.
As you are not only moving from something, but also to something, that is a completely different culture, different views of life, etc.
That is more important than what you are tired of.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As carina has indicated, there is no "typical" day for an expat. I'm certain, for example, that carina's day is very different from mine.

You are fortunate to be able to do what you do any where in the world. I've lived here 20 years so obviously I think this is a great place, but it isn't for everyone. The usual advice on this board, as carnia has recommended, is to try life here before you make a big investment.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks for the reply'. I'm not looking for 'stereotypes' just your own personal experiences. I other words did it take you (personally) long to meet friends? Do you find that your routine is much different now that you live in the DR? That kind of thing. Hope that helps clairify things.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jackieboo said:
Do you find that your routine is much different now that you live in the DR?

No not really, perhaps in terms of times yes. But see, the 'old' people come with to the new country. And if you're a workaholic, you'll probably remain a workaholic. If you're an alcoholic, you'll probably become much worse ;)

If you're honest, you'll probably become more so. If you're a braggart, you'll probably become more so. You'll meet a lot of people initially, but, you'll take a long time to make friends.

To become really philisophical, for me, it is kinda as if everything is just a little 'more of' itself... Here we see really fine people simply becoming finer. And real a'holes, simply become bigger ones. There is something for everyone ... you can choose!

in process of buying a house in Costambar because it was just too good of a deal (for investment or retirement in another 10 years)! Have retired friends in Costambar now and they encouraged us to buy. They have many, many friends in the community and keep quite busy. They also have lots of friends and family coming to visit.
They love it and we are looking forward to it. Two of my biggest concerns are: the language (we NEED to learn Spanish!) and finding certain foods we are used to (I love to cook).

Kathie

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Can be great here......

....a great place to consider is Santiago....its super! Prepare well and get all items down here to make the stay as pleasant as possible (gensets, inverter, truck or "jeep" etc.) and are self sufficient so when "stupid stuff" occurs (ie blackouts etc) that you just "flip the switch" and are in a continual state of "normalcy".

Thats probably one of - if not the most and biggest- "pains" that folks experience when coming to the Dom Rep to live for any period of time.

Meeting folks....well thats up to you...and how well you communicate in Spanish. Also depends on what socio-economic level in which you wish to make friends (ie... you will make a certain type of friends if you get accepted into "Centro Espanol" vs. friends you make on a Friday or Sat night at the "Monument" in Santiago.....well, kinda....hahaha.

Best of luck!

Dave

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Aside from the strategic advice which is being offered here, and there is more to be had from these knowledgeable and good people, I would offer this one piece of advice -- take it or leave it, according to your needs, desires and tastes.

I dont consider myself an "expat" -- I dont mingle with expats much, I am not a retiree, I live among Dominicans, I speak Spanish most of the time now, I work on Dominican issues, and I am pretty fully versed in the culture and history of this island. My point is this: you may wish to live in relative isolation from the rest of Dominican society, but the experience in my view will be a much less exciting and interesting one. Why think of yourself as an expat? When we talk about Dominicans who live in the states -- not all of whom are poor stiffs off of a yola -- we do not call them expats,we call them immigrants, and we expect them to assimilate somewhat. Why not take a more integrative view and become a community member here, an "immigrant"? There are plenty of useful things you could be doing -- just ask Chris and some of the other members here.

If you really mean it when you say "viva el RD" (and that should be La Republica . . . ), then dont limit yourself to the expat community, and dont limit your role by thinking of yourself as an expat. If you really make an effort to learn Spanish, to read up on this country, and involve yourself, you will discover why this place is so great and why it manages to redeem itself despite the inevitable problems a developing nation faces.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you live in a town with a large expat community, I think the odds of making great friends is better than in the industrialized nations.
It's certainly been the case for me.
There is no routine, and that's part of the beauty of living here.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chris said:
If you're honest, you'll probably become more so. If you're a braggart, you'll probably become more so.
This is so very true.
The DR offers an opportunity to shine like a brilliant star, or become a corrupt lowlife, depending on where you stand in the first place.
A lot of people in North America seem like decent people, as they obey the laws of the land, for fear of punishment.
When confronted with as much freedom as the DR has, they might teeter to the other side of the fence.
I can't speak for other towns in the country, but certainly in Sosua, we have a large community of GOOD people.
Once you're part of that crowd, you'll make friends, and benefit from the acquired knowledge of the long term expats.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
If you're honest, you'll probably become more so. If you're a braggart, you'll probably become more so. You'll meet a lot of people initially, but, you'll take a long time to make friends.

To become really philisophical, for me, it is kinda as if everything is just a little 'more of' itself... Here we see really fine people simply becoming finer. And real a'holes, simply become bigger ones. There is something for everyone ... you can choose!

Chris, thanks. I never thought of it that way before, but you are absolutely right.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
Chris, thanks. I never thought of it that way before, but you are absolutely right.

Oh my, after years I eventually said something that Ken liked. Never thought I'd see the day ... will just have to get philisophical around here more frequently eh ;)