Is there a gay community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Is there a strip or area like lakeview, in Chicago, that has an area that is known to have a lot of gays living there? My mother was born and raised in the D.R. and is now looking to return. She's building an apartment complex there, and I was wondering how it would be like to live there, so I looked on the net for property and the houses in some of the areas are so beautiful for A LOT less. If I buy a house without needing a mortgage, do you think I can live comfortably making US$2k/mo?

Thank you.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
DominiRican said:
Is there a strip or area like lakeview, in Chicago, that has an area that is known to have a lot of gays living there? ... hank you.

So that's where the saying comes from, "birds of a feather flock together" ;-)

-

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Well, it would be a little easier in the transition. Not sure how open the D.R. is about homosexuality. Since it's mostly catholic I imagine that it's not that hospitable.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
No, not too hospitable, and I often see the schools kids in the Conde making fun of the gays here, but there is still a sizable community,and they have their hangouts. Shouldnt be too hard to find out about it all.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The first edition of the new Clave magazine had a pretty depressing poll about Dominican attitudes to gays, and tolerance in general. It's available online as a PDF file only.

One question was 'would it bother you much, if you had a neighbour who was:

Homosexual 52.6%
Haitian 36.2%
A different religion 9.9%
Dominican York 13.4 %

I have to say the last one made me chuckle.

Jan 5, 2006
kjt96 said:
what is a "Dominican York"???
A Dominican who relocated from New York (US really). However, the common image of a Dominican York goes beyond that, because the locals see them as flashy, arrogant people who come back from New York (US) to show off their acquired "riches".

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Ahh... I was wondering the same thing. I guess I will be a Dominican Onion! Chicago is a name of an onion that the area was named after. Cool huh?

I guess if I decide to move I will live in one of my mother's apartments and explore different areas. I will probably base my opinion on how friendly my neighbors will be.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
DominiRican said:
Ahh... I was wondering the same thing. I guess I will be a Dominican Onion! Chicago is a name of an onion that the area was named after. Cool huh? I guess if I decide to move I will live in one of my mother's apartments and explore different areas. I will probably base my opinion on how friendly my neighbors will be.

I lived for many years in Northern Indiana, close to lake Michigan. For many years close to a town called Mishawaka. I once heard the name Chicago is of Algonquinian origin, which the Potowatami give to a nomadic tribe that settled south of Lake Michigan. According to the source, 'Chicago' is derived from the Algonquinian 'chigog' (skunk) which suggest the people were skunky-smelling or wild onion smelling....

-

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Mirador said:
I lived for many years in Northern Indiana, close to lake Michigan. For many years close to a town called Mishawaka. I once heard the name Chicago is of Algonquinian origin, which the Potowatami give to a nomadic tribe that settled south of Lake Michigan. According to the source, 'Chicago' is derived from the Algonquinian 'chigog' (skunk) which suggest the people were skunky-smelling or wild onion smelling....

-

Hmm, that's interesting. I watched a PBS special on Chicago and the surrounding burbs, and that's where I learned this little tidbit. Sounds like the wild onion they were referring to may have been called Chicago which had the smell of a skunk? hmmm

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Mirador said:

-

Hence, sh?t cago..(?)....

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
Homophobia

It's funny how people allways thinking catholic countries are so much more homophobic.
The USA is not a very catholic country. part of the western world and there are still a LOT of very homophobic people in the USA. People getting assaulted and sometimes killed on a regular basis in the US - like everywhere in the world.
In this crazy world you can get insulted, assaulted and killed for anything.
Sometimes it;s for your origin, color, culture, sexual orientation, gender, or just for being honest.
I wouldn't think there is a NO bigger risk for gay people to live in the DR in copare to the US. Proof of this is also that more and more gay tourists seem to have a good time in the DR. If there would be a much higher risk it would be all over the news.
Besides, somebody coming from Chicago shouldn't be in any way scared of the DR.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Well...of course there is no "community" as we know it in major metro areas in the US or Europe....But there are certainly pleanty of gays and lesbians...but the "good" people i know wont go to any of the bars and discos as that is pretty much for the tourist/hustler crowd.

I think if you are well set up...carry yourself with dignity....and are quiet upstanding citizens..i think its pretty much live and let live. However there is no such thing as Discrimination Laws as far as housing and employment etc....and one never knows who will lurk to stab you in the back no? I think the employment thing would concern me more than anything else...unless you and your partner are wealthy and can afford not to work.

I think what is sad...is that many people in the DR (and elswhere) associate Gay folk as either drag queens, hustlers and child molesters. ITs not their fault tho...thats all they see in the media and/or in the city areas (as regular gay folk there keep VERY quiet).

Hopefully some of the closeted people here on DR1 will contact you and can give you the full skinny on the whole idea as life as a gay couple there.

Personaly...i dont think you would have many problems....but what if...just what IF you find youself neighbors with that one ultra crazy catholic (no offence to catholics..there are pleanty of good ones :) who desides to take God's matters in their hands.

I will point out this thread to a couple of friends of mine who live in the capital...perhaps they will PM you with their stories.

What is sad and even frightening in the DR....is that many men marry etc...have kids..SOLELY to cover up and appear straight....but live a totaly discrete gay life on the side (either with a steady guy...but mainly go to gay cruising areas..the later being the scary alternative as they are putting their wives health in jeapordy...as far as i know HIV support is nearly non-existant in the DR...well..at least for closeted gay men). .

With all that said....why not take a trip for a few weeks...if you do some quick research on line...you can perhaps stay at a gay friendly (or owned) hotel or guest house (they're there...and not talkinglove shacks)...and talk to the owners and listen to what they have to say. I think they key is going there with enough money to start your own business...either hotel, restaurant or bar.

Ok..i am rambling...but just trying to help

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Just to piggy back on what JJ has said, I have found the gay community in the capitol to be very, very discrete, and almost nonexistent outside of the capitol. In addition to the obvious religious related homophobia, there is a certain machismo ethos in the Dominican Republic that makes it almost impossible to be 'open' there. A significant number of Dominican men are on the 'down-low'.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ahh...but there IS a certain population...and it is VERYon the DL...that does define themselves...not as american gay...but are macho and GAY. They dont sankie with women...then dont sankie with men...but they are into men and are not into the club and sankie scene there. ....so there IS gay life in the DR...and way beyond the manonga thing. Manonga is all fun and cute for a tourist...but you are talking about a move with you lover.

Hopeing to hear a success story here some day. Cuz i would love to move there BEFORE retirement....and and actualy have the time to explore the isla.

Wishing you luck!

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.