Washington Heights Hotels?? Do you know?

taina

Feb 9, 2006
Hi Everyone:
Does anyone know of a safe Hotel/Motel in Washington Heights closer to 177 street or so. I am visiting someone there and I want to stay in a Hotel nearby just for a night. I have also heard horror stories about Washington Heights but I figure it cannot be that bad.
Thanks for your help!

ada

Feb 2, 2005
There are no hotels in Washington Heights that I am aware of. Your best bet is to book something downtown on the west side and take the #1 or A subway up to Washington Heights. I live in Washington Heights. What horror stories have you heard? It's not that bad. It's a mini dominican republic. What's not to love? lol

taina

Feb 9, 2006
Hi Ada:
Thanks for the information. About the stories just about there being alot of drug dealers,and some taxis don't want to drop you off in certain areas , I am sure there are areas like that but that is everywhere. Dominicans are very warm people and I just don't feel that threatened. I am going anyway, but since you live there, do you mind recommending a couple of good Dominican Restaurants?

Thanks for your help

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
taina said:
Hi Ada:
Thanks for the information. About the stories just about there being alot of drug dealers,and some taxis don't want to drop you off in certain areas , I am sure there are areas like that but that is everywhere. Dominicans are very warm people and I just don't feel that threatened. I am going anyway, but since you live there, do you mind recommending a couple of good Dominican Restaurants?

Thanks for your help

If you are going aroung 177th street, try Malecon. There food is good and not that expensive. They are located at 175th and Broadway.

And no, there are no hotels in Washington Heights.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
taina said:
Hi Ada:

Thanks for your help

You're kidding, right? Take the hints all over this forum, and wonder why there are no hotels in Washington Heights. It is justified. Of course, there are plenty of nice, friendly hard-working people there. But there's also an element there. Just be prepared. And yes, there are PLENTY of restaurants up there. Just ask around, people will tell you which is currently the best. Things change.

Since you're just visiting, I suggest staying in Midtown and catching a train up there. Some cabs will take you up there, others won't and will just drive off shaking their heads. The train is 100% and fairly safe. Your friend is a New Yorker. They'll understand completely. And if they are really friends, they probably won't suggest you staying in any hotels up in that area.

This isn't like the island (DR) where people are more open and friendly. It's NYC, before the clean-up. If you don't understand the difference, just take the advice being offered.

taina

Feb 9, 2006
Thank-you All, yeah unfortunely my friend is 12 years old and recently arrived from Dominican Republic as his parents and this is where they are staying, so they do not know much about the area, but I do appreciate the advise and I will take the train there instead.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
thehotelnewtonhotel.com

Located at 95th street and Broadway. 1 block from the 1 train.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
There's a motel on 145th between Broadway and I can't remember the cross street.. Caribe Hotel or Motel ;) It's really a bad motel to stay overnight..

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
there's a nice motel in fort lee, nj,,,, just cross the george wash bridge.. there's buses to take you to fort lee.. don't know the cost.

the motel is nice and it's $85 for night during wknds... $65 during wk.