Spiders...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive been told there are Tarantulas and other poisonous spiders in the DR... is this true? I saw a spider in my place in Cabarete that "looked" like a small Tarantula... could it have been? Should I be worried? Is there a decent exterminator or deterent for spiders?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Davidz! No worries... Tarantulas are common in the cane fields, where they can find small insects, birds to eat. They are not common in urban areas. Their bite is no worse than a hornet sting. However, never get really close to a tarantula, because they scratch their rear end, releasing a small cloud of invisible urticating hairs, which get in the eyes of attacking (small) birds, blinding them. The birds fall to the ground and the tarantulas then get the birds. Canadian Bob.

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
Yes DavidZ, there are tarantulas in Cabarete!

As a matter of fact, I have met quite a few of them. Recently, construction of a house next to mine apparently disturbed the homes of some tarantulas. We have had several visits from these displaced creatures which created quite the stir with the kids. Here is a photo of one such visitor:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=runnth

And no, we didn't kill them.

Greg

Sep 19, 2005
check out page 10 of the media gallery third row down.

thats one of three I have seen in the DR. that was in la Riena, which is about 15 minutes from downtown Santiago....on a road with houses on both sides!

My girl friends father killed it after we took the pictures....

so it bother him some....it was pretty close to his brothers house

I have seen what looks like wolf spiders in my girl friend house , in the bathroom. I ahve seen them twice at night . they are as big as a tarantula almost with legs length, but the body isnt even close to the same size and thickness....but they are intimidating none the less

bob

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
how to deal with these critters

Applying a small amount of Chlorine bleach will neutralize them and most other crawling bugs very quickly. I keep a spray bottle of 25% solution. It came in very handy when one of those black beauties in the photo peeked out from behind my kitchen trash can. Thank goodness I was alone when it happened or all hell would have broken loose.

laurapasinifan said:
check out page 10 of the media gallery third row down.

thats one of three I have seen in the DR. that was in la Riena, which is about 15 minutes from downtown Santiago....on a road with houses on both sides!

My girl friends father killed it after we took the pictures....

so it bother him some....it was pretty close to his brothers house

I have seen what looks like wolf spiders in my girl friend house , in the bathroom. I ahve seen them twice at night . they are as big as a tarantula almost with legs length, but the body isnt even close to the same size and thickness....but they are intimidating none the less

bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Are they tarantulas though? They're known as 'cacatas' here and are not poisonous, although their bite is supposed to be quite painful.
Last encounter I had with one was inside those folding chairs that people take camping. It must have crawled inside on a previous trip, and finally made its bid for freedom next time we took it out.

Last edited:

GKC

Mar 1, 2006
I think so Chiri ...

When our visitors first starting calling on us, the kids and I did some checking on the internet about our guests and we determined that they are called the Haitian Brown trantula. At least the one in my photo looked liked the one on the website!! We also learned that they are not posinous, are solitary creatures, and can live up to 20 years old (females). Once my kids started to learn more about them, they began to loose their fear of these spiders and stopped screaming "kill it daddy, kill it"!!

Sep 19, 2005
I havent posted the pictures yet of the La Vega carnival in feb. Two of the pictures I took then are of a man walking through the crowds with about 5 or 6 tarantulas on his back and shoulders! they obviously werent scaring him much. They were either drugged or area ctually mild mannered. they didnt seem to move around much at all. And yes they were alive!

so they probably are not as bead as we think..

but in India they have snake charmers who play with deadly poisonous snakes, but the rest of us wouldnt dare!!!!!!!

I think the tarantula is a poisonous spider...but maybe it seldom bites, and few die from the bite.

bob

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken on the board was actually bitten by one and stayed alive to tell the tale. The story is on the board somewhere. Non-poisonous but can chomp a good bit out of a finger or a toe... Just shoo them outside gently as apparently they carry their skeleton with them, and are quite delicate creatures. (OK, I call somebody else to do the 'gently' thing) ;)

crayola

Jan 29, 2006
We moved here in October and have had 10 encounters - 2 of which were in our house. They are not poisonous and are very mild mannered. Although I don't like them I am no longer scared of them. The last time one was in the house we just shooed him out with a broom. If they rear up on their hind legs - watch out - they are probably ready to strike. The good news is it takes a lot to get them to this point (you really have to work at it). The last one we saw we caught in a plastic container and later set him free in a dense area where no one lives. I've seen Dominicans catch them with there hands. I would never try it and don't recommend it. I don't believe there are any poisonous spiders in the DR

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I had a cacata crawl across my legs in a taxi in Santo Domingo once, talk about a fast exit from a cab! I've seen a few others while walking in the mirador park.

There are black widow spiders here (or at least I have seen a spider that was exactly like black widows I've seen in OK) but I don't know of any other posionous types, but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few more.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
What about the blonde spiders....

I had one that lived in my apartment and my maid told me not to get rid of it as it kills the mosquitoes and other insects. It would just sit there beside my dining room table and actually behaved quite timidly. Of course, I don't know what it did or where it ventured off after I went to bed each night! LOL
That is where a good stiff drink of Barcelo anejo would come into effect each night instead of a sleeping pill !!!!
Anyway, what are those spiders called, does anyone know?

Marlie

Sep 19, 2005
well they are poisonous...its just that it is not a danger to humans. they seldom bite , and the bite seldom causes more than redness and a little swelling according to some of the sites i looked up.

http://www.desertusa.com/july96/du_taran.html

I think IF

you can overcome the mental sight of one possibly climbing over in your sleep. having them around the house would help with the insect problems...but i dought they eat many mosquitos. they prey on larger insects from what i have read.....

bob

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
I came across 2 of them in 2 weeks time in a new construction with 2 other neighbours still building their houses. There are a fair bit in my area as I also saw 2 more squished by cars in the surrounding streets.

My question: if I used an exterminator to spray around the lot and around the house, would that keep them away from my lot? I was told from an exterminator that their stuff would keep them out of my lot for about 3 months and would have to be sprayed again. If so, any recommendations?

I don't mind them too much but our friends that come down with us and the kids get really scared.

Thanks, ecarignan

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure I want to know

arturo said:
Applying a small amount of Chlorine bleach will neutralize them and most other crawling bugs very quickly. I keep a spray bottle of 25% solution. It came in very handy when one of those black beauties in the photo peeked out from behind my kitchen trash can. Thank goodness I was alone when it happened or all hell would have broken loose.

Arturo, knowing where you live, just wondering how it got up there and what you did with it? Kind of wondering if I should start looking for it.

FK:ermm:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Brown Recluse spiders are quite common, they can be found outside in piles of brush, etc; inside homes in cupboards, etc. They are not aggressive unless trapped or molested. The bite requires immediate medical treatment as the bite site will become depressed & there can be large areas of skin & flesh destroyed. Ice is good for immediate first aid. These spiders have a faint to prominent "fiddle shaped" marking on the thorax. The spiders are small, about the size of a peso. Canadian Bob.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's the "Cien Pies" That You Have To Worry About!

They like to come into the house.They like the dirty laundry basket,and "Bed Clothes"! Their bite hurts like "HELL" many times over,or so I am told! I have seen them in the house,after clearing the brush. Since I got ducks & lots of chickens,and a cat,I have no "Bugs" in the house,or rats either.I was told that the small male cat took on a rat as large as he,and killed it!! "Yeah Cat!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
First aid if btten by a cacata

As i am sure many are aware, the Dominican folk cure for being bitten by one of these things is eating human feces. I sware i am not making it up.
When I lived in Monte Cristi, the yard was dotted with dime sized holes. We would pour a little water into the hole and suddenly eight furry legs would pop out. i am not exagerrating when I say that thre were hundreds of these holes. I never saw one outside unless we forced it out with water.