another pre paid phone question

Sep 19, 2005
I'd like to know if you can purchase a pre paid phone in the US, like you can buy in the DR and by cards to put time into them with. And then call the DR.

I am stuck on my verizon plan, and the best plan they can offer me for calling the DR is .69 per minute!

that sucks....I have two plans at my house...but I want a plan where i just call the number...not call an access number, then put in a code then call the number i want....i hate that.

even if I have to keep another cell phone around at work or in the truck, thats fine.

if anyone knows of some or can recomend a good plan from experience.

thanks...

bob

stallion

Mr. Main Event
May 28, 2004
There are many in canada, I dont's see the states not having any. Call your cell providers and ask. I am sure they do.

Sep 19, 2005
I did look online. Most hits were for calling cards themselves...which I DONT want.. then there were a bunch that had plans, but you had to call access numbers to use the plan. DONT want that.

then I already have verizon and they cant help.and I am not buying a sprint or nextel plan just to get international calling...I just want to go buy a phone that you put time into with pre paid cards...you call once put the time in. Then you just call until the time you have bought runs out. No access numbers, or codes.

bob

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Sprint

Can't you buy a pre paid cell phone with Sprint? You also might want to look at T-Mobile- they used to have international plans and I know they do pre paid phones...

Sep 19, 2005
Flamingojohn said:
Can't you buy a pre paid cell phone with Sprint? You also might want to look at T-Mobile- they used to have international plans and I know they do pre paid phones...

are you suggesting that sprint offers a NON PLAN pre paid phone ????just buy the phone and then purchase minutes to call the DR......

no fcc fees, no line charges, no surcharges, no line tax, no 911 surcharges ect ect ect.....well at least not on a bill

just the phone and the card like you buy on the street in santiago....do they offer that here in the US?

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
are you suggesting that sprint offers a NON PLAN pre paid phone ????just buy the phone and then purchase minutes to call the DR......

no fcc fees, no line charges, no surcharges, no line tax, no 911 surcharges ect ect ect.....well at least not on a bill

just the phone and the card like you buy on the street in santiago....do they offer that here in the US?

bob
Hey bob,
I seriously doubt that you can find a NON-PLAN pre-paid phone in the US, pre-paids in the US is when you just add minutes to a plan without the need of a credit check or large deposit. The international rates are very high per minute. All the carriers in the US are the same, you just don't get a bill, because it's deducted from a credit card or bank account or buy a phone card from duane reade or other pharmacy.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
www.gorillamobile.com

This service costs .09/min to DR land lines and .14/min to cellphones. You call a New York access number which gives you a dial tone, and then dial the DR#. No code necessary once your account is set up. On my phone I can program a pause and put the entire number in memory. Annual fee for the account is $6.95, and this is for up to 10 phones. I have mine set up to bill my credit card.

A

apostropheman

laurapasinifan said:
I'd like to know if you can purchase a pre paid phone in the US, like you can buy in the DR and by cards to put time into them with. And then call the DR.

I am stuck on my verizon plan, and the best plan they can offer me for calling the DR is .69 per minute!

that sucks....I have two plans at my house...but I want a plan where i just call the number...not call an access number, then put in a code then call the number i want....i hate that.

even if I have to keep another cell phone around at work or in the truck, thats fine.

if anyone knows of some or can recomend a good plan from experience.

thanks...

bob

i may be missing your problem but i buy a 3rd party calling card and use it to call the DR. no need for a special phone

there are a million different cards each, mainly, focusing on different areas. i pic one for latin america/the caribbean.

you call a local number, enter the pin on the back and then the number you want to call so as far as your cell provider is concerned you are making a local call.

simple and effective.

Sep 19, 2005
that gorilla mobil is almost exactly what i am looking for.....if i program the whole access number AND my girl friends number.. then it would be just what i want......If nothing better comes along in the next week, Ill probably sign up for that.

I had been thinking that i would need to buy another phone( like the old trac phones) where you buy minutes before you use them...and there is no account per month.

I just got off the phone with my GF...the $5 card ran out. I got 45 minutes.....it sucks having to dial all those numbers, but the good thing is I KNOW there is a defined period for the call...and I can go to bed when its over....other wise my ear goes numb she talks so long!! ha ha ha

thanks...bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
sweetdbt said:
www.gorillamobile.com

This service costs .09/min to DR land lines and .14/min to cellphones. You call a New York access number which gives you a dial tone, and then dial the DR#. No code necessary once your account is set up. On my phone I can program a pause and put the entire number in memory. Annual fee for the account is $6.95, and this is for up to 10 phones. I have mine set up to bill my credit card.
I've checked out the website and other than costing more per call in comparison to a calling card. The convenience of one touch dialing makes up for it. How long have you been using it??

A

apostropheman

sweetdbt said:
www.gorillamobile.com

i guess i should have read all the way to your post before making mine :)

i'll have to see about something like that for Canada...even better than the cards i'm buying...thanks:bunny:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
LPF: I buy cards from http://www.uniontelecard.com. I buy pinless dialing cards (i.e. the mega clean and stable). These cards work like the ones in The DR. You just input it once into your phone and you just dial the number from that point forward. You don't have to put in the pin every time. When the card runs out you just reload with another card. I like it because I don;t have to dial as many numbers and I can control my talking a bit.

Their rates aren't too bad either...especially if you're calling a house phone in The DR.

Sep 19, 2005
saurezn: what happens after you put the card info into your phone, and you happen to make a local call....will the minutes get used ?

i really just want the card for calling my gf...not everyone else i call locally.

I am wondering how the card knows when to kick in and when to juts let my local service carry the call.

unless i go ahead and buy a second phone just for those cards and calling my GF

bob

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
I think so...

laurapasinifan said:

bob

They have pre paid phones or pay as you go phones so I would assume you just buy the cards to charge up the minutes and dial. This is not said as a fact- only as an assumption.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
saurezn: what happens after you put the card info into your phone, and you happen to make a local call....will the minutes get used ?

i really just want the card for calling my gf...not everyone else i call locally.

I am wondering how the card knows when to kick in and when to juts let my local service carry the call.

unless i go ahead and buy a second phone just for those cards and calling my GF

bob

The system knows because you still have to call an 800 number (for instance) when you want to use the card and you'd call regular when you don't. I've found that the annoying thing is actually having to enter the pin, as this changes all the time. I have the card's number programmed in my phone so it's a one touch deal for me.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
phone cards to DR

hi there, i use a phone card that is .06 cents per minute. i am in florida and i sue the card Boss Florida to call DR. if you go into a gas station they should be able to tell you. i would suggest reading the fine print on the cards and staying away from any that say codetel. i have found that those are the most expensive.