Puerto Plata

melamar

Mar 20, 2006
We will be visiting the DR within the next few weeks for the 1st time. We are destined for Puerto Plata. Any suggestions, advise, stops of interest etc? All information is appreciated.

Canadians

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
while in POP

Get a car and go to Sosua, Cabrete, Cabrerra and if you can take a couple of days (overnite) get to Samana and Las Terrenas

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Sorry... bad advice !

shuffine said:
Get a car and go to Sosua, Cabrete, Cabrerra and if you can take a couple of days (overnite) get to Samana and Las Terrenas

If you have never been to the DR, please do not try to rent a car and travel, especially to Samana or Las Terrenas !!

Please, however, feel free to do a search on this site for things to see and do. There is a wealth of info, it just depends on what turns your crank! Are you travelling with children, or are you looking for nightlife, do you want to swim with the dolphins???

Please search the archives, there is a myriad of things to see and do, but it is also depends on your tastes.

If you are curious on why I suggest not renting a car, do a search on that as well, as driving in the DR is not for everyone.

If you give us an idea of what kind of things you would be interested in, I am sure we can give you some ideas, but it would help if you narrow it down a bit.

Enjoy your trip,

Marlie

melamar

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks Marlie,

We have children but they are staying home on this one.........yippee!!

We have many interests but have seen that we would like the dolphin experience, maybe some hiking and I read a thread about the "Camel Safari" but haven't found info on that yet. We are interested in experiencing some of the culture and business activities. We are both mid thirties and into adventure and fun times.

I read a thread about reputable taxi drivers, is this the best way for us newbies to get around? any suggestions for contacting drivers before we land?

Thanks for the advise and we am learning alot from this site.

Melamar

Love1975

Nov 4, 2005
I would like to know the best means of travel as well. We're making arrangements for going in June and one of my friends would like to see her grandmother whom she's never met, but she's more than a hop skip and a jump away.